Temple water is blue??

gaspah

Hi there, haven't been around in a while, but been so busy with church activities and such (been here like two months and already ive given a talk, done home teaching and got a calling as a ward missionary, not to mention all the other activites that take up every spare moment i get :lol:).

Anyways i was at temple last night (and again this morning), and I was looking at the water and it's very blue.. yet everything around is white (walls, roof, lights etc etc)... I tried asking a few people as an explanation as to why the temple water appears so blue.

One lady I was asking (a fellow YSA from a different ward) said that her and her friends had only just noticed it too and was very curious about it, so I promised I'd find the answer out (so I'd like to find out before I go on YSAC next weekend, though I could probably tell her at institute). Discussions I had with people at temple ranged from maybe the bottom of the fountain was blue and it reflected up, but really even the surface (side walls) look blue so I dont think thats it, others said maybe it was a food dye, but we wondered why it doesnt stain the jumpsuits, I asked the brother at the reception desk who said it could be because the spectrum of artificial lights was blue (being an electrician he was sure of this :rolleyes:) but the lights look very white even yellow imho.

So does anyone here know for sure, i mean, i know water isn't blue...:lol:

Edited by gaspah

Hmm... that's interesting. High levels of dissolved oxygen will do that to water.

As for the light spectrum... usually halogen and florescent lights have a small amount of mercury vapor in them to make the usually yellow light from these lights more white. This works because mercury has a few very strong spectral lines in the blue-purple zone, balancing out the orange-yellow lines of sodium vapor. But... I really don't think this would cause the water to look more blue.

Edited by LittleWyvern

first of all it's not standard so there is no symbolism in it. lol

i would guess it has to do with the cleaning agents used. i've been to temples that smelled more like swimming pools than i thought they ought to. they keep the water warm for the comfort of those doing baptisms so they do need to use some kind of clorine or something to kill germs just like you would a public swimming pool or hot tub. if someone over treated or switched brand then it may have a color effect.

the only other thing i can think of is i've seen some that are made of, i'm assuming, stainless steal basin. very silver in appearence. silver (sides and bottom) reflecting through wather with the right lighting could look blue. remember in another environment it may not look quite as "blue" but you are contrasting off all the white....

those are my best uneducated guesses. lol i wouldn't worry to much about it.

oh lol one other thought.... had someone before you dyed their hair black very recently? lol the chemicals in the water could have leached the hair dye making the water blue. lol ok so that one is probably less likely.

hahaha, that post was very amusing :P

yeah, I'm not 'worried' about it as such, as there are much deeper questions/realisations I'm coming to now that I'm part of the true Church of Jesus Christ, whereas as a Presbyterian Christian, I thought all Christian denominations were right but now from a spiritual and an educated viewpoint I'm finding that not to be true, with education confirming what has been revealed by the Holy Ghost.

But, you know... I always like having little interesting things to talk about with fellow members, blue temple water was something light and amusing, unlike last wednesday's institute class that turned into an awful discussion about miscarriages and fetuses *cringe* being sealed to their parents or whether they get a second chance at an earthly body.

I was unsure of whether this was universal, as I've only been to the temple here in Perth, Australia.. Although I hope to one day see Salt Lake Temple (never thought I'd want to visit America until I joined this church).

So then, I have another question for people here... Is your temple water blue? How blue?

Could be as the result of FD&C #1 food coloring dye or else Satan ruling the waters.

;)

yeah no, and no :P

FD&C1 stains everything it touches, and we dont enter the font in blue jumpsuits :eek: and I'm pretty sure that Satan doesn't rule the waters in G-d's house. :D

My superior (yeah right) educated guess is it is a combination of lighting, the chlorine in the water (it is treated much like a swimming pool--or perhaps more appropriately, like a hot tub) and the fact that the baptismal font is made out of stainless steel.

Well, we can remove the stainless steel from that equation as I'm pretty sure the lining of the baptismal font here in Perth, Australia is white fibreglass, it's certainly not any kind of metal.

It could be the fluro lights? I had to change my fish tanks light a few weeks ago and noticed that one bulb had blue written on it and the other had red - but the lighting is white... I guess some spectrum are invisible to the eyes but could reflect in the water?

I didn't notice any fluorescent lights in our temple only incandescent, perhaps halogen lights, but I'll have to check to be certain.

Edited by gaspah

Guest missingsomething

Are all the fonts made the same.. with same material...I dont think so from the temples i have been in..

Here's a thought....Gaspah.... Call the temple up and ask them! Someone will know!

Are all the fonts made the same.. with same material...I dont think so from the temples i have been in..

Here's a thought....Gaspah.... Call the temple up and ask them! Someone will know!

But i started asking people in the temple, like the old man (electrician) who was on reception, a few ladies that wander around in all white... nobody knew... but I'll ask when I book my next temple visit. ^_^

yeah im pretty sure that temples are made differently, some things are universal like the oxen etc, but our font looks nothing like the photo of the saltlake temple font i saw on wikipedia.

Hi there, haven't been around in a while, but been so busy with church activities and such (been here like two months and already ive given a talk, done home teaching and got a calling as a ward missionary, not to mention all the other activites that take up every spare moment i get :lol:).

Anyways i was at temple last night (and again this morning), and I was looking at the water and it's very blue.. yet everything around is white (walls, roof, lights etc etc)... I tried asking a few people as an explanation as to why the temple water appears so blue.

One lady I was asking (a fellow YSA from a different ward) said that her and her friends had only just noticed it too and was very curious about it, so I promised I'd find the answer out (so I'd like to find out before I go on YSAC next weekend, though I could probably tell her at institute). Discussions I had with people at temple ranged from maybe the bottom of the fountain was blue and it reflected up, but really even the surface (side walls) look blue so I dont think thats it, others said maybe it was a food dye, but we wondered why it doesnt stain the jumpsuits, I asked the brother at the reception desk who said it could be because the spectrum of artificial lights was blue (being an electrician he was sure of this :rolleyes:) but the lights look very white even yellow imho.

Well, gaspah, I do not know. But seeing that the answer to this question will have no effect on your eternal salvation I would advise you focus on the basics of the Gospel.

;)

Well, gaspah, I do not know. But seeing that the answer to this question will have no effect on your eternal salvation I would advise you focus on the basics of the Gospel.

;)

Then I arrive at the Celestial Kingdom and G-d says in a booming voice "Did you find out why the temple water was blue? I've been dying to know!"

Which temple?

Which temple?

Perth, Western Australia (Dianella, next to Dianella Ward Chapel).

If you look to the left you can see the edge of the chapel I attend whilst our Doubleview Chapel is being redone... so lucky to be so close to a temple (5min drive from home :D)

Posted Image

Beautiful Huh!!!!

Edited by gaspah

this is a funny really random discussion. haha. I've never stopped to really focus on the color of the water in the font. I guess I'm alot more focused on the spirit and how much I love being there but I'm doing baptisms this weekend and after reading this post I'm gonna look at the water just to see if its blue. haha.

make sure you tell me how blue it is :D :D i'll be waiting :D