A new take on trials

Guest missingsomething

Guest missingsomething

So I'm sitting in church today... after a rough Saturday....well Ok weekend.... and I just settle into my tiny portion of a pew, tiny because we cram in like sardines and of course my girls need their coats, diaper bag, "primary bag", RS bag, scriptures, drinks, emergency snack, ... (you get the point).... I've been a member of this ward for almost 5 yrs and had somehow avoided ever being asked to give an opening or closing prayer for sacrament.

When I'm asked to give the closing prayer. UGHHHHHHH. Another thing! I say yes, but if looks could kill, Man Br. Hansen would have been like drop dead fred.

So as Im grumbling inside... the talks begin. Oddly, my girls sat down with a little toy in hand... and did I say... SAT DOWN... still, quiet. Instantly, I knew this was my Heavenly Father telling me that I needed to quit fuming about the prayer and to focus.

So, if I may... I wanna sum up what was said... or, what hit me like a ton of bricks.

I knew that trials came from our Heavenly Father out of a desire to make us more faithful. Afterall, when do people turn to prayer the most? When their life is the most messed up. I have always kept a good attitude when bearing my burdens, and have not said... Why me.

I am not foolish enough to believe though, that my testimony can not be shaken - Im not that prideful - instead, I work each day like Im loosing it. So, Im not the one that sits in the corner and complains. (despite my reservation about saying the prayer hehahha)

1. Trials are a blessing. They happen so that our Heavenly Father can help us grow in the areas in which we are weakest. He is building our spiritual fortitude so that we will be able to endure to the end, but more than just that.... to prosper to the end. And He can bless us freely when we resist the verge of despair and lean upon him and exercise our faith. So, when we are given trials, we must think of them as a tool by which our loving Father can bless us in the end. And once the trial is over, we are able to understand where we were lacking.

2. Those who are loved by Heavenly Father are tested too keep them close. Our Father knows that we are more diligent to the gospel when things are not peachy in our lives. So He Draws us unto him - to keep us close and to guide us in the directions He knows we must go to find eternal happiness.

3. (This theme spilled over into SS and RS and this came in RS)... A sister said (paraphrasing)... You know... trials and test do make us stronger... spiritually stronger. And we know what happens to our bodies if we do not exercise... it gets limp and wiggly. By giving us trials, we are given the chance to exercise our faith. When you go to the gym you dont use the light weights (1-2lbs) you lift the heavy weights. So Heavenly Father has to give us mighty trials so that we can build up mighty spiritual muscles.

My entire attitude changed today. And all I can say is that my Heavenly Father must love me enough to want me to be a spiritual body builder! ;) Go Job... he must be like ... the incredible hulk!

I didnt do this justice... so I hope you still can feel the spirit like I did.

Guest missingsomething

Isn't it a bit odd that we can deal with the big things in life much easier than we can the small ones?

I think this is because with small things we tend not to involve the Lord, and with the big ones we do. So, that goes along with what you are saying.

Thank you for sharing.

Man! Justice... what another great thought.

In many ways I have to agree with what has been said. However, I have to admit that I have not bore my burden well. In all honesty I detest my burdon and would gladly give it away..............but I would not want to see another have to bare it.

With what has been said I think, at least for myself, I'm happy (maybe even content) with being in the corner.............or to be the weakling so to speak. Why should I have to be "strong"? But that isn't what our Heavenly Father had in mind. He doesn't want us to simply get by...............He wants the best when we either can't see it or refuse to see it. We (me) wants simplicity and the gospel isn't simple it is grand, it is marvelous, it is strong and there fore we need to be too.

Guest missingsomething

In many ways I have to agree with what has been said. However, I have to admit that I have not bore my burden well. In all honesty I detest my burdon and would gladly give it away..............but I would not want to see another have to bare it.

With what has been said I think, at least for myself, I'm happy (maybe even content) with being in the corner.............or to be the weakling so to speak. Why should I have to be "strong"? But that isn't what our Heavenly Father had in mind. He doesn't want us to simply get by...............He wants the best when we either can't see it or refuse to see it. We (me) wants simplicity and the gospel isn't simple it is grand, it is marvelous, it is strong and there fore we need to be too.

Les Im confused if you want to be simple or grand.... lol but then again... it doesnt take much to confuse me.

Can I just say I love ya?!

missingsomething,

Thank you for sharing this today. It has given me greater insight into your situation.

I want to apologize to you if I have said anything to offend you or hurt your feelings. I am working on having more compassion for others around me, and to also read posts more carefully and think about my response to others before posting.

Have a great Sabbath Day,

Tom

C.S. Lewis described it wonderfully. We are a cottage, and God is a building contractor. He comes in and we're expecting him to throw on a little paint, and perhaps fix the stairs.

Instead, he knocks out a couple walls and adds several rooms. We wince, when He lifts the roof, and adds floors. We howl in pain when He installs electricity, plumbing, and fine wood floors throughout.

We thought we were going to just get a few minor touch ups. Instead, God's intention is to turn us into a heavenly mansion.

I taught the EQ lesson today-the topic was Pres. Monson's October conference talk on Finding Joy in the Journey. I pointed out that most of what I worry about is of relatively little eternal consequence and is instead ego-wounding stuff. (And considering that Ego is really another term for "Natural Man," the more it is damaged, the better, so that it can finally die off.) Most of my worries consist of job/financial concerns/social comparisons, etc. What I call "Lifejunk".

Once I get past those petty concerns, what remains reminds me of how blessed I really am. Christ has His arms safely around me in the gospel covenant; as long as I uphold my end, nothing can go seriously wrong.

Wow, this thread is causing me to really think.

I feel like my plate is full of trials. I won't go into detail. Scott Peck, when writing the The Road Less Traveled, began his book by quoting Buddha~ "Life is Pain." What an observation of the opposition in life!!

I struggle with trials. They overwhelm, and can bring me to the depths of despair. They're painful and difficult. I feel blindsided by the adversary at times, taken off guard, and hit when I was least expecting it with the trials I have.

Then there's the simple pain of life....Pain due to my health problems, emotional state, etc. For many years, I have given up and plead for release from this life, as a result.

What I'm trying to communicate here is the gravity of trials, and what they can bring into one's life. I think of the children who went insane because of the Holocaust. They obviously didn't have the ability, nor capacity of dealing with the atrocity of the war. Or the starving children in 3rd world countries. What of them??

I do know that God lives and loves me~ There are those few breathtaking moments when I feel I am able to raise my head above the water of life's trials for a minute, and get a little bit of perspective as to what they are doing for me. At times, I feel profoundly grateful for the sorrow I have experienced, for what it has done for my soul. The repentance it has brought, mainly. The change of heart. I wouldn't trade it for a lesser road of ease and security~ For I know my salvation really is hingent on how I can weather the trials I'm given. Sadly, I usually haven't chosen to handle them well. I don't have the strength and fortitude to be "happy" about them, for the most part. But, in the end, I am so grateful for the experience of them, nonetheless.

Some of the things that I have learned from trials are, acquiescence to our Father's will for me in suffering, a sense of my own powerlessness and the need for the grace of the atonement to overcome.

Oh, wow, as I was writing this, I had such a sense of God's love for me. Truly touching~

The only thing I would suggest here, is that we go gently on those of us who suffer deeply, and not always well. I am so grateful for the empathy and kindness I have learned for others, due to the trials I have had. I also get a real sense here, that we are not held accountable for those things that were too much for us to handle, (i.e., the children who went insane due to the holocaust.) God is the perfect, merciful judge. What a comforting thought, to me.

Dove

missingsomething, I don't know if you saw it, but I posted something earlier in the week about trials. I gave a talk this poast week in church about trials, and posted a rough draft of my talk. It is long, but if you didnt see it, you might find it worth reading and pondering over the scriptures I used. It's called "Overcoming Trials" and is still on the first page of threads.

Also, Elder Wirthlin's talk at the last General Conference is awesome. It's called "Come what may, and love it." I used this talk as the basis for the lesson I taught in Elder's Quorum this past Sunday as well. I guess we needed to OD on overcoming trials.

Guest missingsomething

missingsomething, I don't know if you saw it, but I posted something earlier in the week about trials. I gave a talk this poast week in church about trials, and posted a rough draft of my talk. It is long, but if you didnt see it, you might find it worth reading and pondering over the scriptures I used. It's called "Overcoming Trials" and is still on the first page of threads.

Also, Elder Wirthlin's talk at the last General Conference is awesome. It's called "Come what may, and love it." I used this talk as the basis for the lesson I taught in Elder's Quorum this past Sunday as well. I guess we needed to OD on overcoming trials.

Yes actually I did. Thank you.

Some I think have assumed that I am burdened down with trials... (from some msgs I have gotten from this... ).... Can I clarify and just let you all know... Im actually pretty good... I mean I have always worked through trials knowing that it was something I had to "learn".. but this Sunday was the first time I considered that I trial could be a blessing... and when I wrapped my head around that... like Dove... I felt the spirit so strong and I instantly knew it was right... and I was grateful.... and wanted to share :)

Yes justice - your previous post was great and I had actually read it before Sunday so I guess you actually got my mind "going in that direction".... ;)

Guest missingsomething

missingsomething,

Thank you for sharing this today. It has given me greater insight into your situation.

Tom

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by this.... but.... :huh:

You have no reason to apologize...?? if you are referring to your post in my "missing something post' where you said I needed a relationship with Christ... I was just politely letting you know that you were wrong ... not offended?!?!

So no need really to apologize..... I have thicker skin than that. :)

Guest missingsomething

Wow, this thread is causing me to really think.

I feel like my plate is full of trials. I won't go into detail. Scott Peck, when writing the The Road Less Traveled, began his book by quoting Buddha~ "Life is Pain." What an observation of the opposition in life!!

I struggle with trials. They overwhelm, and can bring me to the depths of despair. They're painful and difficult. I feel blindsided by the adversary at times, taken off guard, and hit when I was least expecting it with the trials I have.

Then there's the simple pain of life....Pain due to my health problems, emotional state, etc. For many years, I have given up and plead for release from this life, as a result.

What I'm trying to communicate here is the gravity of trials, and what they can bring into one's life. I think of the children who went insane because of the Holocaust. They obviously didn't have the ability, nor capacity of dealing with the atrocity of the war. Or the starving children in 3rd world countries. What of them??

I do know that God lives and loves me~ There are those few breathtaking moments when I feel I am able to raise my head above the water of life's trials for a minute, and get a little bit of perspective as to what they are doing for me. At times, I feel profoundly grateful for the sorrow I have experienced, for what it has done for my soul. The repentance it has brought, mainly. The change of heart. I wouldn't trade it for a lesser road of ease and security~ For I know my salvation really is hingent on how I can weather the trials I'm given. Sadly, I usually haven't chosen to handle them well. I don't have the strength and fortitude to be "happy" about them, for the most part. But, in the end, I am so grateful for the experience of them, nonetheless.

Some of the things that I have learned from trials are, acquiescence to our Father's will for me in suffering, a sense of my own powerlessness and the need for the grace of the atonement to overcome.

Oh, wow, as I was writing this, I had such a sense of God's love for me. Truly touching~

The only thing I would suggest here, is that we go gently on those of us who suffer deeply, and not always well. I am so grateful for the empathy and kindness I have learned for others, due to the trials I have had. I also get a real sense here, that we are not held accountable for those things that were too much for us to handle, (i.e., the children who went insane due to the holocaust.) God is the perfect, merciful judge. What a comforting thought, to me.

Dove

Dove dear... quit beating yourself up. I didnt mean anyone had to be happy for the trial... although last year I went through something where I knew it was tough but if I embraced it, and got more diligent with my reading, praying, FHE, etc I would be blessed... so I do remember telling Father... "thank you for this time - I cant see the end in it yet - but let thy will be done...and let me be strong enough to endure it and accept it". What some people said to me...when this was going on.... "you're glowing, wow thanks sis ____, I could really feel the spirit, and wow. you amaze me"... All the time I felt like trash inside - but I knew, because I was trying to accept God's will.... he was surrounding me with love and people to support me.

Dove life is so very hard. I hear all the time... Christ never said it would be easy - just worth it". If I could make a suggestion... I have a lady I visit teach who suffers from depression she feels is brought on by a back injury that has left her unable to work, shes gained weight, and she is in constant pain.... one day I took her a "Happy Journal"... I told her she HAD to write at least 2 positive, good things that happened or that she felt/thought EACH day... and I teased her... when I came back... if she could manage this... I would bake her my famous "cinnabun cinnamon rolls"... well when I did go back ... she found that each day it was easier to come up with things... and soon she was writing a page of "good things" on most days but even on the really bad days... she wrote at least two things. She came back to church and bore her testimony that she could finally see how much God loved her.

I love ya Dove, I feel you so much in your post and I know you are an asset to this site. Your experiences and trials will make you more empathetic and thus, more Christlike.

Thank you for your kind message, Missingsomething. You are so kind in the writing of it. I'm sorry if I was criticizing your thread/points.

I don't know that I have the courage in writing a "Happiness Journal" yet. But, I do begin my prayers with a list of things I'm grateful for to God. I don't forget to have gratitude when I pray. I don't know why it's hard on me to write down what I'm grateful for. I suppose at this point, I still blame God for the harrowing events of my life, to a great degree.

I have yet to forgive the complete difference my life has ended up being to what I thought it would be while growing up. I don't often tell this; but, I have big issues with my patriarchal blessing. All of the things it promised me failed to come true~For example, it promised that I would be able to bear "sons and daughters." The way it was worded truly sounded as if that was meant for this life. This, when I was sixteen, and didn't yet know my body was unable to conceive and bear children. I burned my blessing once, and then years later got another copy at the encouragement of a potential boyfriend~ It wasn't long before I burned that copy as well. Eeek, I'm embarrassed to relate this.

Right now, I feel really let down by God, disappointed, and left in the mess of my life without any warning beforehand as to what a mess it would become.

Frankly, in many ways, I have given up. I feel like such a failure in most aspects of my life.

You've picked up on this. Thank you. Yes, I have suffered from severe depression for most of my life (since I was a teenager), amongst other health problems. Thank you for relating the story of the lady you visit teach~ It hit some important chords for me.

I'm not necessarily asking for a solution right now. But, I'm grateful for your love and sweetness towards me~I would say I want to forgive/not blame Heavenly Father for what has transpired in my life. I want to forgive myself for not measuring up to all the dreams I had. I want to forgive others for me choosing to be so hurt by them.

Interesting enough, my husband just got me, to come watch a news program on the relation between diabetes and depression (I have diabetes). There is a corollary. Wow, a burden lifts, and I don't blame myself so much for the pain I'm in.

I'm sorry for this negative thread, everybody. I'm thankful for the kindness as I "open up" a little more about who I am.

To end on a positive note, my husband and I did buy a little fish yesterday. He is such a beautiful creature! I was so excited to take him home and take care of him in his little environment. It gave me a lot of hope to have something living (besides plants) to be responsible for and to enjoy it's beauty. We are calling him "Nuvo," signifying a new turn in my attitude and life. I actually cleaned my kitchen and cleared out boxes for the first time since we moved here in November. This little fish is giving me a lot of hope. I eventually want to get a bird and a dog. Signifying life and the purity/goodness it can contain.

The below is from this resource: LDS.org - Family Table of Contents - True to the Faith

“Adversity,” True to the Faith, (2004),8–11

As part of Heavenly Father’s plan of redemption, you experience adversity during mortality. Trials, disappointments, sadness, sickness, and heartache are a difficult part of life, but they can lead to spiritual growth, refinement, and progress as you turn to the Lord.

Adversity comes from different sources. You may at times face trials as a consequence of your own pride and disobedience. These trials can be avoided through righteous living. Other trials are simply a natural part of life and may come at times when you are living righteously. For example, you may experience trials in times of sickness or uncertainty or at the deaths of loved ones. Adversity may sometimes come because of others’ poor choices and hurtful words and actions.

Responding to Adversity with Faith

Your success and happiness, both now and in the eternities, depend largely on your responses to the difficulties of life.

An account in the Book of Mormon illustrates different responses to adversity. The prophet Lehi and his family had been traveling in the wilderness for several days, using their bows and arrows to hunt for food. The family encountered difficulties when Lehi’s sons lost the use of their bows. Laman and Lemuel’s bows lost their spring, and Nephi’s broke. Hungry and tired, Laman and Lemuel began to complain against the Lord. Even Lehi began to murmur. Nephi, on the other hand, refused to be discouraged. He went to work. He recounted: “I, Nephi, did make out of wood a bow, and out of a straight stick, an arrow; wherefore, I did arm myself with a bow and an arrow, with a sling and with stones. And I said unto my father: Whither shall I go to obtain food?” Humbled because of Nephi’s words, Lehi asked the Lord where they should go for food. The Lord answered his prayers and led Nephi to a place where he could obtain food. (See 1 Nephi 16:15–31.)

When some people face adversity, they are like Laman and Lemuel. They complain and become bitter. They ask questions like “Why does this have to happen to me? Why do I have to suffer this now? What have I done to deserve this?” But these questions have the power to dominate their thoughts. Such questions can overtake their vision, absorb their energy, and deprive them of the experiences the Lord wants them to receive. Rather than responding in this way, you should follow Nephi’s example. Consider asking questions such as, “What am I to do? What am I to learn from this experience? What am I to change? Whom am I to help? How can I remember my many blessings in times of trial?”

Different kinds of adversity require different responses. For example, if you are stricken with illness, you may simply need to be patient and faithful. If you suffer because of others’ words or actions, you should work toward forgiving those who have offended you. If you are a victim of abuse, you should seek help immediately. If trials come because of your own disobedience, you should correct your behavior and humbly seek forgiveness.

Although some of your responses to adversity will vary, one response should be constant—your trust in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ. The prophet Alma taught, “Whosoever shall put their trust in God shall be supported in their trials, and their troubles, and their afflictions, and shall be lifted up at the last day” (Alma 36:3).

Trusting in Heavenly Father and Jesus Christ

When you trust in the Father and the Son, you are confident that They love you perfectly—that They want you to be happy and that They will help you grow spiritually. You keep the commandments. You seek to know Their will, and you do what They require even when you desire something else. Your prayers for relief are accompanied by the understanding that Heavenly Father will not resolve all matters immediately—that He may allow you to wait so you can continue to learn and grow. Through it all, you find comfort in the assurance that the Savior understands your trials perfectly. As part of His infinite Atonement, He took upon Himself “the pains and the sicknesses of his people.” He took upon Himself “their infirmities, that his bowels may be filled with mercy, according to the flesh, that he may know according to the flesh how to succor his people according to their infirmities” (Alma 7:11–12). Because He has experienced your pain, He knows how to help you. If you look to Him in faith, He will strengthen you to withstand any trial you experience.

As you strive to trust the Lord during times of trial, remember the following counsel given through the Prophet Joseph Smith:

“He that is faithful in tribulation, the reward of the same is greater in the kingdom of heaven.

“Ye cannot behold with your natural eyes, for the present time, the design of your God concerning those things which shall come hereafter, and the glory which shall follow after much tribulation.

“For after much tribulation come the blessings” (D&C 58:2–4).

Finding Peace and Joy during Adversity

You can find peace and joy even when you wrestle with challenges and sadness. The Book of Mormon includes an account of a righteous people who learned this truth. Suffering in bondage under a cruel ruler, they poured out their hearts to God (see Mosiah 24:8–12). The Lord answered:

“Lift up your heads and be of good comfort, for I know of the covenant which ye have made unto me; and I will covenant with my people and deliver them out of bondage.

“And I will also ease the burdens which are put upon your shoulders, that even you cannot feel them upon your backs, even while you are in bondage; and this will I do that ye may stand as witnesses for me hereafter, and that ye may know of a surety that I, the Lord God, do visit my people in their afflictions” (Mosiah 24:13–14).

The people responded with faith, and “the burdens which were laid upon [them] were made light; yea, the Lord did strengthen them that they could bear up their burdens with ease, and they did submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord” (Mosiah 24:15).

Like these righteous people, you can “submit cheerfully and with patience to all the will of the Lord,” knowing that He will strengthen you in your trials. He has promised, “All things wherewith you have been afflicted shall work together for your good, and to my name’s glory” (D&C 98:3).

Additional references: Hebrews 4:15–16; 2 Nephi 2:11–24; Mosiah 23:21–22; D&C 105:6; 121:7–9; 122

Guest missingsomething

Thank you for your kind message, Missingsomething. You are so kind in the writing of it. I'm sorry if I was criticizing your thread/points.

I don't know that I have the courage in writing a "Happiness Journal" yet. But, I do begin my prayers with a list of things I'm grateful for to God. I don't forget to have gratitude when I pray. I don't know why it's hard on me to write down what I'm grateful for. I suppose at this point, I still blame God for the harrowing events of my life, to a great degree.

I have yet to forgive the complete difference my life has ended up being to what I thought it would be while growing up. I don't often tell this; but, I have big issues with my patriarchal blessing. All of the things it promised me failed to come true~For example, it promised that I would be able to bear "sons and daughters." The way it was worded truly sounded as if that was meant for this life. This, when I was sixteen, and didn't yet know my body was unable to conceive and bear children. I burned my blessing once, and then years later got another copy at the encouragement of a potential boyfriend~ It wasn't long before I burned that copy as well. Eeek, I'm embarrassed to relate this.

Right now, I feel really let down by God, disappointed, and left in the mess of my life without any warning beforehand as to what a mess it would become.

Frankly, in many ways, I have given up. I feel like such a failure in most aspects of my life.

You've picked up on this. Thank you. Yes, I have suffered from severe depression for most of my life (since I was a teenager), amongst other health problems. Thank you for relating the story of the lady you visit teach~ It hit some important chords for me.

I'm not necessarily asking for a solution right now. But, I'm grateful for your love and sweetness towards me~I would say I want to forgive/not blame Heavenly Father for what has transpired in my life. I want to forgive myself for not measuring up to all the dreams I had. I want to forgive others for me choosing to be so hurt by them.

Interesting enough, my husband just got me, to come watch a news program on the relation between diabetes and depression (I have diabetes). There is a corollary. Wow, a burden lifts, and I don't blame myself so much for the pain I'm in.

I'm sorry for this negative thread, everybody. I'm thankful for the kindness as I "open up" a little more about who I am.

To end on a positive note, my husband and I did buy a little fish yesterday. He is such a beautiful creature! I was so excited to take him home and take care of him in his little environment. It gave me a lot of hope to have something living (besides plants) to be responsible for and to enjoy it's beauty. We are calling him "Nuvo," signifying a new turn in my attitude and life. I actually cleaned my kitchen and cleared out boxes for the first time since we moved here in November. This little fish is giving me a lot of hope. I eventually want to get a bird and a dog. Signifying life and the purity/goodness it can contain.

Dear Dove -

Please know that you did not offend me. Can I offer something about the patriarchal blessing that someone may not have offered to you? First, we all know this is a blessing of what we will receive if we are faithful. But something many have not considered, is that it is a list of blessings that are not only for this life - but also for the one that follows. Those things that have been promised to you in this life that you are worthy of, will be given to you in the next. Heavenly Father is fair and would never deny you. Thirdly, sometimes we get hung up on the wording... there is more than one way to have children. And there is a lady in my ward who is past the age to bear or raise children of her own... but there is not one child in our ward who doesnt run to her when she enters the room. They ALL yearn for her commendation. Finally, a point to your depression - it could also be hormone driven. Talk to your doctors and dont STOP until you get the right combination of therapy and if needed medication. And please keep your name in the temple dear.

OH and the point of the gratitude journal - you wont FEEL like it... but you have to FORCE yourself at first - over time it becomes easier. I promise ;)

You're Heavenly Father and Savior know your pain love - they love you through it - and they understand your heart. YOU ARE one of the 99. You are here and I am glad.

Thanks Again, MissingSomething.

You are spot on about the hormones. I'm unable to take the treatment regular doctors/gynecologists offer me right now, because I smoke....

I've been in a lot of depression these past few weeks because of my cycle. It happens every month and is getting worse. I am trying to quit smoking.

I am also considering a homeopathic doctor to try to resolve this stuff~

I will try to find an old blank book ( I have a couple, given to me by my friend) to start a happiness journal. Maybe it will help with my sense of betrayal.

I want to acknowledge how strongly I have felt the Spirit this past little while. He has not left me comfortless, and I have felt/heard HIs love so often. I also feel as if I may be close to a breakthrough about understanding all these "trials." He does sustain me and communicate with me, often. For this, I am so grateful.

I am also so very grateful for your kindness and friendship. Your validation/encouragement for me to stay here does wonders. I wonder about what I write some times. Thank you for being glad.

Love,

Dove

Misssingsomething, thank you for starting this great thread. I needed it today and I wonder why I didn't see it earlier in the week. It is a good reminder.

Dove, I understand your struggles. I too have health issues that get to me on occassion. I call a "happiness journal" a "blessings journal." It was easier for me to write down the things I saw as blessings. Over time when a really bad day happens along it can help to just read back over other days blessings. Just make a list. Some days I could only write that the sun shining was a blessing. Other days the only thing I could find was that my little finger didn't hurt. . . the rest of me did. I didn't write that the rest of me hurt. . .I just wrote down that my little finger didn't hurt. It works regardless of the cause of the illnesses or the depression. Please try it. :bighug:

One thing that helped me be truly thankful for the adversity and trials in my life was realizing that God is not responsible. We all have our moral agency. He will not infringe on our agency. We get to choose. That means that sometimes we suffer for other peoples' choices, and sometimes we suffer for our choices. For a long time I didn't feel that I "chose" the health issues I have. But then one day I realized that yes I did. Twice. Once in the previous life when I chose to come to this earth and this body. And second, when I didn't take care of this body like I needed to when I was in my teens and 20s.

Last night I got angry again. This week has been full of doctors, medical tests/procedures, stress and I'm soooo very tired and just plain sick. This morning . . . I needed this reminder that adversity is why we are here. . . we need to learn. So I'm back to being grateful and I'm going to do my best to cheerfully endure today.

The blessing today: My best friend/hubby/boyfriend took the day off to go with me today.

Thanks to everyone who posted. And thanks again Missingsomething. We never know when our experiences will bless the lives of someone else.

applepansy

EDIT: Second blessings was reading this thread today.

Edited by applepansy

Thank you to everyone who posted on this thread. I appreciate the references givin and the heartfelt remarks... Pain , misery and trials sometimes make you feel isolated , like no one can help or relate to the struggles your going through. I think this thread has proved that wrong. The love and support, genuine caring on this thread is amazing. None of us are alone.......

Guest missingsomething

Thanks Again, MissingSomething.

You are spot on about the hormones. I'm unable to take the treatment regular doctors/gynecologists offer me right now, because I smoke....

I've been in a lot of depression these past few weeks because of my cycle. It happens every month and is getting worse. I am trying to quit smoking.

I am also considering a homeopathic doctor to try to resolve this stuff~

I will try to find an old blank book ( I have a couple, given to me by my friend) to start a happiness journal. Maybe it will help with my sense of betrayal.

I want to acknowledge how strongly I have felt the Spirit this past little while. He has not left me comfortless, and I have felt/heard HIs love so often. I also feel as if I may be close to a breakthrough about understanding all these "trials." He does sustain me and communicate with me, often. For this, I am so grateful.

I am also so very grateful for your kindness and friendship. Your validation/encouragement for me to stay here does wonders. I wonder about what I write some times. Thank you for being glad.

Love,

Dove

Dove -there are prescriptions to help with smoking - try them...my sister in law quit after trying to quit on her own /patch for like 10 times.

Also...talk to your doc about meds for PPMD and they are not increased risk w/ smoking

Finally, you are right... He will NOT leave your comfortless. Above all... he will not ever leave you comfortless.