Can you use the Priesthood to bless animals?

Superbaldguy

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Vort said:

Ah, my friend, you misremember. While I was haranguing you for messing up my common sense, God announced he was ladling out likability. You misheard "bikability", so you said, "That's a skill I really don't care much about." God shrugged and continued down the line.

When it was my turn, God gave me a healthy dollop of likability using what looked like a giant ice cream scoop.Then I asked him, "Since MG didn't want any, can I have his portion?" "Sure," responded God, and took out a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Honestly, you didn't miss much, buddy.

True. During the pre existence I was still deciding on who I'd allow in the compound. 

Guest LiterateParakeet
49 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Your husband is a great guy Lit. Next time you come down bring him please. 

Thanks! He really is a great guy. I'm sure you would two would hit it off. 

16 hours ago, MormonGator said:

When it was time to put my dog down, I gave him a blessing before he left us. No apologies, I'm glad I did it. 

I grew up in a home where most of the meat we ate, we raised (chickens and rabbits) or we hunted (deer, elk and moose).  When it was time to slaughter our domestic, for the table pets, we would kneel in prayer giving thanks both for the opportunity to raise them and for their sacrifice for our table.  We would also kneel in prayer when we made a hunting kill.

I do believe something has been lost during my generation with so many (including my own children and grandchildren) that will waist good meat and through it out without a second thought.  I am of the thought that there is an inherent evil to waist the life of another creature and not care that something died that we could have meat – to have it killed and not be diligent in making sure the flesh is dealt with sparingly.  Many interpret the WoW use of sparingly to mean that we do not eat meat or avoid eating meat whenever possible – I believe it means, at least in part, that we do not waste the life and flesh of noble creatures – with the exception of misquotes – I kill those little blood suckers every chance I get.

As a side note - when our family dog was near death I took him to the vet.  When the vet explained that the dog was in the process of dying and would not recover - I said I would take care of putting the dog down.  The vet informed me that it is illegal and a crime (animal cruelty) to put down your own pet and punishable with jail time and a hefty fine.  I do not know where some ideas come from - I was taught and believe that part of the responsibility of owning and caring for a pet was, when the time came, to put that family friend down yourself.  I see the idea of paying someone else in this matter as somewhat immoral and irresponsible. 

One last thing - I do understanding blessing an animal with our prayers - but to say or imply by saying, "Having been commissioned (commanded) by Christ through his appointed servants and through the power of the holy Melchizedek that I hold."  Is a very different matter and should not be used to satisfy our individual wants, cares, desires or intent. 

The Traveler

18 hours ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Actually "the mark" is Jesus Christ and His gospel.

The Pharisees cared more about the practices than they did about God's will and words. Sounds to me like caring more about letter-of-the-law making sure each individual piece of food is "blessed" just once fits in with that more than it does actually giving thanks and reverence to our Father for the food He has provided.

I think you agree with me or you would have agreed with him.

I believe that the problem of the Pharisees was not so much of what they believed as it was that they believed they should define for others what they should believe as well - meaning that they refused to see or consider other points of view.   And that they wanted to hold others to a higher standard than they would to themselves.

I do admit that often, especially on the internet and this forum, that I will defend (argue) a point of view not because I believe it to be the only possible thing that is true but that others might realize (or at least consider) that there is more to a matter than what they seem willing to consider.  I argued with my companion - not to convince him that he was wrong and that something else was right but rather that he consider other possibilities.  I have tried his advice and method in giving thanks when I have brought home the groceries and I have given thanks before eating - I believe I have learned that G-d is not unhappy when his covenant children give thanks.  I do believe G-d is disappointed and greaves a little when we are not willing to give thanks and be thankful.   I do agree with you - that how we go about the letter of the law (as in this case) to define how to give thanks is not at all what is important or what it means to "hit the mark".

The Traveler