Can you use the Priesthood to bless animals?

Superbaldguy

One of my HT families is a single, lonely older sister - she told me one of her blue jays was not well, and that we could give it a blessing when we come Home Teach this week. I thought this just sounded really odd, can you use your Priesthood for such a purpose? In my mind, whoever (or whatever) receives the blessing has to have faith, a bird cannot have such a quality.

I hear it all whenever I go to church.:)

yes my husband has given my elderly dog blessings, Sally actually made it clear she was asking for one, one night, she persisted putting his hand on her head, and she had an awesome one before she died, said that she was dearly loved of Heavenly Father and had done everything her power to be a loyal companion to me and she could die knowing I now had Richard to protect me, and surrounded by people she knew loved her.

I know HT here have given blessings to pets and owners.

-Charley

This is just my personal opinion. Blessing an animal benefits and perhaps teaches the humans listening. As said in an earlier post blessings are based based on the faith of the receiver and the person giving the blessing.

Not sure animals were charged with having faith and proving it in the life like the humans can and should do.

Ben Raines

Guest missingsomething

I dont have the priesthood, so I dont feel right in offering an opinion... but I dont feel as though it is abusing the power per say... but I agree with Ben... it probably is more for the benefit of those around to hear the blessing. But it is true, an animal is a creature of God.

What an interesting thought.

I remember the story of a member of the Priesthood blessing a sick ox during the pioneer trek to Salt Lake City. They were going to put it down, but the mother of the family who owned it (single mom, I think) pleaded and exhorted the brethren to anoint it with consecrated oil and bless it. They did. It got better and lived many years after reaching the Salt Lake valley.

Growing up with dogs, I was amazed by the spirit of happiness they each exuded. We had one dog with a particularly patient and sweet demeanor. She was perfect for the daycare we ran from home, as she would let the little children play with her (and often pull her tail, ears, etc.). Dogs can suffer the same psychological trauma from abuse that humans can; other animals can be trained to respond to certain situations. There are more stories than can be told here of animals acting completely unusual to save a human's life- like the 50-pound dog that pulled his master 3 miles to his home after he suffered a heart attack while hunting. Or the cat that was left behind when its beloved family moved, and showed up on their doorstep 6 months later (they had moved across the country).

It makes sense to me that animals can receive and benefit from blessings, even if the blessing is catalyzed solely by the faith of the person giving the blessing. All animals have spirits, and therefore are saved by the atonement of Christ. The Priesthood is the harnessing of the atonement of Christ for the salvation of mankind. It makes sense that the bodies and souls of animals are influenced by the power of the Priesthood. After all, the lions that would have eaten Daniel would up playing with him in their den, and one day the lion shall lie with the lamb.

Edited by Maxel

my own experience with my dog is she had complete faith in the priesthood and appreciated to some extent what it could do she actually had 3 blessings I remember when she got really sick with seal flu at 18 that should by rights of killed her, the vet wanted to put her down, I wasn't ready she had a blessing and I had one that told me to shower her and let her lie on the sofa, which I did she was ill for 3 weeks then was fine for another 2 years before she died, it was shortly after that she overheated herself by crawlling under the duvet in summer and she couldn't breathe, she demanded a blessing that night, she was so persistent...... my new dog Lucy I don't think has quite the same understanding

Like humans I think some animals grow closer to their true potential than others, but they were created by the power of priesthood just like we were.

-Charley

One of my HT families is a single, lonely older sister - she told me one of her blue jays was not well, and that we could give it a blessing when we come Home Teach this week. I thought this just sounded really odd, can you use your Priesthood for such a purpose? In my mind, whoever (or whatever) receives the blessing has to have faith, a bird cannot have such a quality.

I hear it all whenever I go to church.:)

Yes...I have even blessed Gold fishes.

I think that preisthood power can do anything. If it is the power and source by which the earth was formed and moses parted the red sea then the healing of an aminal would be small stuff in comparison. I think animals are highly aware of spiritual power...I think they feel it which would explain the dogs that seemed to be requesting blessings. I've never heard of the blessing of animals before this thread but I believe its possible because like I said with that divine power all things are possible.

I remember the story of a member of the Priesthood blessing a sick ox during the pioneer trek to Salt Lake City. They were going to put it down, but the mother of the family who owned it (single mom, I think) pleaded and exhorted the brethren to anoint it with consecrated oil and bless it. They did. It got better and lived many years after reaching the Salt Lake valley.

QUOTE]

This was the story that I was going to bring up. This actually happened to Mary Fielding Smith. Her oxen were worn out and had gone down in the traces. Mary was determined to get to the Valley. Many times they tried to get her to take help from other people but she was determined to make the trek on her own. She asked the priesthood there to give her animals a blessing (seh even had the oil as I recall) and was told that it wouldn't work. She said she knew that if it was done it would. They did it and the animals got up and made the rest of the trek. That lady had amazing faith. She is one of my heros.

Being an animal lover a blesing for them would be a great comfort to me. I think it would be more for the owners benefit than the animal. I am convinced they are in touch with the other side.

This was the story that I was going to bring up. This actually happened to Mary Fielding Smith. Her oxen were worn out and had gone down in the traces. Mary was determined to get to the Valley. Many times they tried to get her to take help from other people but she was determined to make the trek on her own. She asked the priesthood there to give her animals a blessing (seh even had the oil as I recall) and was told that it wouldn't work. She said she knew that if it was done it would. They did it and the animals got up and made the rest of the trek. That lady had amazing faith. She is one of my heros.

Being an animal lover a blesing for them would be a great comfort to me. I think it would be more for the owners benefit than the animal. I am convinced they are in touch with the other side.

I think this Mary Fielding Smith story shows that God honors true faith, even when demonstrated in a misguided way. Consecrated oil is consecrated to the blessing and healing of the children of God, not the beasts of the forest or fowls of the air or fish of the sea. God may not condemn us for our sincerely meant but misguided attempts to exercise faith, but that doesn't mean that such efforts are to be emulated.

My understanding is that blessings are meant for children of God, aka human beings. To do otherwise is, I believe, an incorrect use of Priesthood. Offer to pray with the good sister for her pet's benefit. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

We can have a Priesthood blessing on homes. HOMES! Why not animals? It never made sense to me. I wanted a Priesthood blessing on a cat once, but was told it wasn't done. I was given the explanation that Vort gave, but it didn't make sense to me. We bless homes, we bless babies, we bless people who do not have faith while their loved ones do.

I remember my daughter being only a few days old receiving a blessing. "by your faith you will be healed." I was floored. She was a baby! But in that instance, they meant MY faith. Later, when she's old enough, it will be based on her faith.

I remember my husband got a blessing. He did it only for me. I told the Priesthood holders that I had enough faith for the both of us and that's what they based his blessing on. MY faith.

Why can't the faith of the person who loves the bird be used for the Priesthood blessing? Our pets are a part of our family. Time, resources, love and lots of energy are poured into them. There's no good reason not to give our beloved animals a blessing if they are in need.

We can have a Priesthood blessing on homes. HOMES! Why not animals?

The home is not blessed by the laying on of hands, Ruthie. In fact, the home is not blessed per se at all; it is dedicated as a place for a family to live. Graves can also be dedicated as a resting place for someone's remains, but again, that's not a blessing by the laying on of hands.

We can "bless" animals exactly the same way we can bless our houses, our jobs, or our ailing Aunt Em back in Kansas. Such blessings do not involve anointing with oil or the laying on of hands.

It never made sense to me. I wanted a Priesthood blessing on a cat once, but was told it wasn't done. I was given the explanation that Vort gave, but it didn't make sense to me. We bless homes, we bless babies, we bless people who do not have faith while their loved ones do.

You're using the word "blessing" in different senses here. We can indeed "bless" our cats. We simply don't anoint them with oil or bless them through the laying on of hands.

Why can't the faith of the person who loves the bird be used for the Priesthood blessing?

This isn't a matter of needing to find the right fuel to power the Priesthood blessing. It's a matter of propriety, of what the Priesthood ordinances were given for. If I have sufficient faith, does that mean it's okay if I give a Priesthood blessing and anointing to my Honda?

Our pets are a part of our family.

In the popular sense, yes. In the eternal sense, no.

Time, resources, love and lots of energy are poured into them. There's no good reason not to give our beloved animals a blessing if they are in need.

Agreed. But not an anointing with oil and a blessing by the laying on of hands; those ordinances are not for animals, but for God's children.

You mean the parrot says, "Polly want a blessing"? No, I don't think that I'd sanction a Priesthood blessing on an animal, even then.

my dog definitely asked that night - my son can't talk yet but he can request blessings, I have only lived with him for 2 years, Sally was 20 when she died we had, had a long time together, it was obvious, also we have the Holy Ghost to help us interpret.

And its not your place to sanction a priesthood blessing that has been requested that is for Heavenly Father.

-Charley