Can you use the Priesthood to bless animals?

Superbaldguy

Homes, from my understanding, are not blessed but can be dedicated as a place for the spirit to reside and a gathering place. I know it is just a play on words but there is a difference.

A priesthood blessing is done by anointing and laying on of hands and pronouncing a blessing. Graves are dedicated, houses can be, churches are, temples are. There is a difference.

Ben Raines

I think this Mary Fielding Smith story shows that God honors true faith, even when demonstrated in a misguided way. Consecrated oil is consecrated to the blessing and healing of the children of God, not the beasts of the forest or fowls of the air or fish of the sea. God may not condemn us for our sincerely meant but misguided attempts to exercise faith, but that doesn't mean that such efforts are to be emulated.

My understanding is that blessings are meant for children of God, aka human beings. To do otherwise is, I believe, an incorrect use of Priesthood. Offer to pray with the good sister for her pet's benefit. "The effectual fervent prayer of a righteous man availeth much."

I think perhaps you should be more careful in how you apply the word ‘misguided.’ It may not be misguided as much as it is faith in which there remains potential to grow.

I would be willing to agree that priesthood blessings are not exactly intended for blessing animals. I would agree that there really probably isn’t a need to bless an animal. In the same breath, however, I will say that there really isn’t a need to bless humans either. Blessings and miracles can occur as a consequence of faith regardless of whether a priesthood blessing is invoked or not. So why bother with priesthood blessings at all?

Perhaps part of the answer lies in the fact that humans are notoriously bad with abstract thought. They relate much better to concrete events and examples—hence our love for allegories and parables. Sometimes we do things simply because the tangible action catalyzes our faith. As an example, I refer to the Savior, who in his mortal ministry performed many miracles. While in Cana, he healed a man’s son; the man’s son was in Capernaum (John 4:46-54). He possessed such perfect power and knowledge that he could heal and perform miracles merely by word.

Yet, at a later time, a blind man sought out Christ that he might be healed. The Savior spit in the man’s eyes and laid his hands over them. When the man was commanded to open his eyes and asked what he saw, he said he saw “men, as trees walking.” The Savior placed his hands on the man again and the man’s vision was restored fully and properly.

Why the two different approaches from the same Man with such perfect knowledge and power? Christ knew to take different approaches because he knew what the faith of each person could handle. Whereas the man with the dying son had enough faith in Christ’s word alone, the blind man needed an extra push—a little more comfort—to boost his faith enough for the miracle to take place.

The home teachers for this elderly woman should strive to be as perceptive as the Savior was. What are her needs and what is the strength of her faith. If they determine that her faith is such that she needs that extra boost of seeing her home teachers bless the bird, then they should do it. If they feel that she has sufficient faith that they can pray for the bird and bring about the miracle, then why not teach her that. Ultimately, it is up to the home teachers to be open to the Spirit so that they can determine what the needs of this sister are. None of us should be so presumptuous and proud as to make the decision for them.

I dont have the priesthood, so I dont feel right in offering an opinion... but I dont feel as though it is abusing the power per say... but I agree with Ben... it probably is more for the benefit of those around to hear the blessing. But it is true, an animal is a creature of God.

What an interesting thought.

I hereby rebuke you for being uncomfortable having an opinion when that is the reason. The sisters of the Church absolutely must understand the purpose and use of the priesthood as well as the men who exercise its authority. Each and every woman should be able to teach and testify of the purpose and use of the priesthood as strongly as the Apostles.

Please forgive the zealous language—I hope you’ll understand that I mean no offense, but have the best intentions.

And its not your place to sanction a priesthood blessing that has been requested that is for Heavenly Father.

If I've been asked to give the blessing? On the contrary, if I'm the one giving it, you bet your life it's my place to sanction the blessing.

I am truly shocked actually at the number of priesthood holders recently on here and in real life that thinks its their place to say no to a blessing, only reason to say no is your own unworthiness.

You are merely the conduit for the blessing asked for in faith and Heavenly Father in my experience is more than capable of deciding who or what should be blessed when hands are placed on head, when I ask for too many I know I get the same one as last time which is also OK as we get things repeated in scripture until we get it.

-Charley

Homes, from my understanding, are not blessed but can be dedicated as a place for the spirit to reside and a gathering place. I know it is just a play on words but there is a difference.

A priesthood blessing is done by anointing and laying on of hands and pronouncing a blessing. Graves are dedicated, houses can be, churches are, temples are. There is a difference.

Ben Raines

It is my understanding that anything done by the authority of the Melchezidek Priesthood is a blessing. There are dedicatory blessings, patriarchal blessings, blessings given by brother or father, etc. All of which are done without anointing with oil. It is only healing blessings where oil is needed.

If I've been asked to give the blessing? On the contrary, if I'm the one giving it, you bet your life it's my place to sanction the blessing.

none is asking YOU to give the blessing, the blessing is NOT yours to give. You are merely the priesthood holder asked, I should get exactly the same blessing off you as any other priesthood holder, if i don't its your unworthiness preventing it.

When I get a blessing it is the Word of God not the Word of Vort, it is God and only God's place to deny blessings asked for in faith.

-Charley

none is asking YOU to give the blessing, the blessing is NOT yours to give. You are merely the priesthood holder asked, I should get exactly the same blessing off you as any other priesthood holder, if i don't its your unworthiness preventing it.

When I get a blessing it is the Word of God not the Word of Vort, it is God and only God's place to deny blessings asked for in faith.

-Charley

Agreed.

However, I do believe that the Spirits guides us in who to ask for the blessing. Some people make better vessels or conduits than others in different times and situations.

I am truly shocked actually at the number of priesthood holders recently on here and in real life that thinks its their place to say no to a blessing, only reason to say no is your own unworthiness.

Or if the requested blessing is inappropriate.

I will not bless your houseplant, or your waffle iron, or your pet cat, no matter how sincerely you ask, just as I will not baptize any of them. Some things simply are not appropriate. Of course it is the duty of the Priesthood holder to determine the propriety of officiating in a Priesthood ordinance!

none is asking YOU to give the blessing, the blessing is NOT yours to give.

On the contrary, when a woman whose family I home teach asked me to assist in giving her daughter a blessing a couple of days ago, she did indeed ask ME. That the authority of the blessing comes from God is not in dispute.

You are merely the priesthood holder asked,

True, although "merely" may not be the appropriate word choice here.

I should get exactly the same blessing off you as any other priesthood holder, if i don't its your unworthiness preventing it.

In my opinion, this is a somewhat naïve view of blessings.

So you believe a Priesthood holder is duty-bound to give a blessing to your waffle iron if you so request? I disagree.

Or if the requested blessing is inappropriate.

I will not bless your houseplant, or your waffle iron, or your pet cat, no matter how sincerely you ask, just as I will not baptize any of them. Some things simply are not appropriate. Of course it is the duty of the Priesthood holder to determine the propriety of officiating in a Priesthood ordinance!

so my dog requesting a blessing was improper interesting. If a priesthood holder lays their hands on the head of a pet - and receives a blessing from the Lord its entirely appropriate. If it was wrong he would not receive the blessing to give.

And have known one priesthood holder bless a washing machine by all accounts it was also healed:lol: lived a further 8 years, they went on to call him as branch president and his faith increases every year amazing man

-Charley

On the contrary, when a woman whose family I home teach asked me to assist in giving her daughter a blessing a couple of days ago, she did indeed ask ME. That the authority of the blessing comes from God is not in dispute.

Personally I do not ask the priesthood holder I ask for his priesthood to be used to give me the Blessing from God.

True, although "merely" may not be the appropriate word choice here.

Its the one my husband and many priesthood holders I know use frequently, they are merely the means through which God works.

In my opinion, this is a somewhat naïve view of blessings.

I have a chronic illness it has been more than put to the test;) I have also been in a position when I discovered one priesthood holder unworthily gave me a blessing, I requested another one 6 years later give me the blessing I should have had,

The words may not be exact, but the actual blessing would be the same no matter which WORTHY priesthood holder I asked, I have had the same blessing off priesthood holders many generations and miles apart, and when I am struggling I can ask any priesthood holder if I may have that blessing again that I may work on the next part

So you believe a Priesthood holder is duty-bound to give a blessing to your waffle iron if you so request? I disagree.

I have no waffle iron - and whilst my dog was created by the power of the priesthood not very often are waffle irons, however have known priesthood holders bless much needed household items and cars and they have had positive responses from Heavenly Father, all been men in good standing and of strong spirit if maybe a little bonkers. Also my issue was not with me requesting the blessing it was with the animal him or herself requesting it,. if I request a blessing for another human thats between you and them but if I request it for me and its not honoured that is also your business its between you and Heavenly Father

-Charley

I think perhaps you should be more careful in how you apply the word ‘misguided.’ It may not be misguided as much as it is faith in which there remains potential to grow.

If a little child asks you to give a Priesthood blessing to her "sick" dolly, would you do it? Or would you consider the request, honest and beautiful though it may be coming from such a pristine vessel, nevertheless misguided?

I do not believe Priesthood blessings and anointings were ever intended for animals. I believe that Mary Fielding Smith was misguided in requesting it, though her faith may indeed have been great enough to heal the animal.

I would be willing to agree that priesthood blessings are not exactly intended for blessing animals.

In your opinion, who or what were Priesthood blessings exactly intended for blessing?

I would agree that there really probably isn’t a need to bless an animal. In the same breath, however, I will say that there really isn’t a need to bless humans either.

God has given us his Priesthood power and has instructed us to use it to bless his children. In my opinion, this constitutes a "need".

Perhaps part of the answer lies in the fact that humans are notoriously bad with abstract thought.

Interesting observation. "Humans are notoriously bad with abstract thought" as compared to what? I suspect that humans are actually very much better at abstract thought than any other life form we know of.

As an example, I refer to the Savior, who in his mortal ministry performed many miracles. While in Cana, he healed a man’s son; the man’s son was in Capernaum (John 4:46-54). He possessed such perfect power and knowledge that he could heal and perform miracles merely by word.

Yet, at a later time, a blind man sought out Christ that he might be healed. The Savior spit in the man’s eyes and laid his hands over them. When the man was commanded to open his eyes and asked what he saw, he said he saw “men, as trees walking.” The Savior placed his hands on the man again and the man’s vision was restored fully and properly.

Why the two different approaches from the same Man with such perfect knowledge and power? Christ knew to take different approaches because he knew what the faith of each person could handle.

I think this an unlikely explanation. Remember that Peter and John healed a man lame from birth by merely speaking a word and taking his hand -- and that man had not exercised any faith at all, even to request healing, but had only asked an alm.

More likely, Christ understood what was required in each case to perform the requisite miracle, and in each case he did what was necessary. The faith of the persons was demonstrated by their requests for blessings.

The home teachers for this elderly woman should strive to be as perceptive as the Savior was. What are her needs and what is the strength of her faith. If they determine that her faith is such that she needs that extra boost of seeing her home teachers bless the bird, then they should do it.

I agree that they should do what the Spirit dictates, even to the point of blessing her bird or cat or whatever. I simply doubt that the Spirit would dictate to bless an animal by the laying on of hands.

None of us should be so presumptuous and proud as to make the decision for them.

So you're saying that since, in your opinion, there is a chance that the Spirit might direct some hypothetical home teachers somewhere to give a blessing to the hypothetical pet of a hypothetical person, that therefore we should not voice our opinion on a discussion board about whether that's appropriate?

so my dog requesting a blessing was improper interesting.

Charley, I'm talking about the principle here, not directly about you or your dog or what his intent was by nosing your husband's hand. I have no intention of passing judgment on your actions or even your opinions, except maybe to say that I don't agree with you. If you consider my disagreement to be hostile, then I'm a bit surprised you're spending any time on a discussion board. I assure you I have no hostile intent.

If a priesthood holder lays their hands on the head of a pet - and receives a blessing from the Lord its entirely appropriate. If it was wrong he would not receive the blessing to give.

I'm not sure I completely agree with this, but for the sake of this discussion I'm willing to grant it. In that case, my point would be that a Priesthood holder would receive no such divine blessing to give through the laying on of hands to a pet.

And have known one priesthood holder bless a washing machine by all accounts it was also healed:lol: lived a further 8 years, they went on to call him as branch president and his faith increases every year amazing man

I believe you that he was, and I'm happy to leave the determination of the propriety of his washing machine blessing to the Lord. But the fact that he later served as a branch president doesn't convince me that blessing the washing machine was appropriate. I am of the firm opinion that such blessings are a misuse of Priesthood ordinances.

5. Indian Creek Camp (March 5–6, latitude 40 deg. 42 min. 51 sec.). On March 5 the camp forded the Des Moines River just below Bonaparte and made camp on the north bank of Indian Creek, just west of Lacey-Keosauqua State Park, near section 8 of Des Moines Township. Some time ago the Daughters of the American Revolution commemorated this crossing by erecting a marker one-quarter of a mile west of the Bonaparte bridge.

What apparently was the first example of the blessing of sick animals took place near this camp site on February 14 when William Hall’s horse sickened with bloating and colic. Citing the prophet Joel, who said that in the last days the Lord would pour out his spirit upon all flesh (Joel 2:28), some of the brethren laid hands on the animal and blessed it. Later it recovered. (This event took place more than two years earlier than the more famous similar incident regarding the ox of Mary Fielding Smith, which was blessed somewhere between the Platte and Sweetwater rivers in present-day Wyoming.)

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Iowa Trek of 1846: The Brigham Young Route from Nauvoo to Winter Quarters Edited by BenRaines

so my dog requesting a blessing was improper interesting. If a priesthood holder lays their hands on the head of a pet - and receives a blessing from the Lord its entirely appropriate. If it was wrong he would not receive the blessing to give.

-Charley

My mother told me a story about a couple who waited to have children until everything was perfect. When they tried to have children nothing came of it. They asked their Bishop for a blessing. He said yes. He started the blessing but then stopped and said, "I can not give you this blessing. The children you were supposed to have needed to come to earth sooner than you were willing to have them so they were given to others who were willing."

I have witnessed a blessing being given by someone not prepared, not worthy. My ex was to give a blessing to a friend. I knew my ex and knew that he needed to pray first. I mentioned it. My brother, who was the annointer, said, leave the man alone, he knows what he's doing. My ex, said, yeah. Pride entered the scene, which caused him to no longer be worthy of administering the blessing. I knew it, but I said nothing. The blessing didn't work. I was hoping it would anyway, but it didn't. My friend was not healed. Later I tried to find someone else to give a blessing, but to no avail so I gave my friend a blessing myself by the power of my faith. My friend was well enough to be baptized and after the baptism the healing was complete.

It is my understanding that anything done by the authority of the Melchezidek Priesthood is a blessing. There are dedicatory blessings, patriarchal blessings, blessings given by brother or father, etc. All of which are done without anointing with oil. It is only healing blessings where oil is needed.

We use the term "blessing" to cover a range of ordinances and performances using Priesthood authority. For example, we "bless" the sacramental bread and water -- more specifically, we ask God to bless it. Similarly, when we pray as a family or "bless" our meal, we ask God to bless us, or the food, or whatever.

A more specific use of the term "bless" refers to offering Priesthood blessings to people by the laying on of hands. These include anointings, other blessings of healing, blessings of comfort, father's blessings, patriarchal blessings (which are a type of father's blessing), blessings during ordinations and settings apart, and any other time where hands are laid on a head and Priesthood authority exercised. NOTE: In this case, we are not just asking God to bless someone. We, the Priesthood holders, are actually pronouncing those blessings ourselves. We are not merely invoking God's blessings through the prayer of faith, we are actually pronouncing those blessings.

Through prayer, we may ask blessings on ourselves and others, close or far, on our crops and flocks, even on our pets. We may also use the power of the Priesthood to dedicate homes and graves and buildings of worship.

As far as I know, there is no such Priesthood ordinance as the laying on of hands to pets. In a lifetime of faithful (as well as I could do, anyway) Priesthood service, I have never been taught by any of my leaders even a single time that we are authorized to lay our hands on the heads of animals, plants, or mechanical devices and pronounce blessings. If anyone can find reliable teachings to the contrary, I'm open to learn. Until then, I'll continue to maintain that such are not appropriate, and I'll continue to be bemused at the hostility that such an opinion raises.

What apparently was the first example of the blessing of sick animals took place near this camp site on February 14 when William Hall’s horse sickened with bloating and colic. Citing the prophet Joel, who said that in the last days the Lord would pour out his spirit upon all flesh (Joel 2:28), some of the brethren laid hands on the animal and blessed it. Later it recovered.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - The Iowa Trek of 1846: The Brigham Young Route from Nauvoo to Winter Quarters

Seems a pretty obvious misinterpretation of scripture. When the risen Lord commanded his apostles to "preach the gospel to every creature" (Mark 16:15), are we to assume that he was commanding them to preach the gospel to animals, plants, protozoa, lichen, and minerals?

Edited by BenRaines

On Animal blessings:

My best friend (a Catholic) owned a cat which had been struck across the back with a 2x4. My friend called me in tears, saying the cat could not move its hind legs, and had struggled to get to a safe spot near the back door. My friend could not afford to pay a vet to put the animal down humanely. Could my husband and his friend come over to "take care of it" while she was at work that night?

My husband and his friend took their trusty shotgun to the house out in the countryside. They found the injured cat by the back door. They looked at the cat, and they looked at each other, and they looked at the shotgun. They looked at each other, and they looked at the cat. They pulled out their keyring and gave the cat a blessing.

My friend called me when she got home from work. The cat was walking, weakly, but walking, and able to eat from her food bowl. My friend was upset because the deed had not been done. I explained to my friend what had happened. She cried, if this cat gets worse, they have to come back with that shotgun! The next day, the cat was stronger, and by the end of the week was scampering around like normal.

Besides strengthening our own testimonies, it provided a great example for my friend. Although she is still Catholic (no miraculous conversion story here). But it made the cat feel a whole lot beter.

I really appreciate the perspective of everyone's posts. I do hope the seeming misunderstanding of each other's come from doesn't bog this down into contention and bad feelings towards each other. This thread seems to be evoking tender feeling for most of us, i.e.,love of animals and respect for properly using the priesthood authority.

Vort, I understand and respect that you would not want to misuse the ordinances of the priesthood. If I understand you, the priesthood is holy, and should be used according to the intent and purpose it was set forth forth to do. With this, I agree.

However, I really do believe that animals have a spirit. My nephew says that there are dolphins with the intelligence level of humans. At any rate, animals to me, are a living thing. They are pure. I don't see a conflict with giving an animal a healing blessing. They can feel pain, and are under the "fall of Adam," and incur the opposition in life, as humans do.

Are they as accountable as we are? In most cases, probably not. (I'm thinking of those intelligent dolphins.) But, I still feel being healed by the priesthood can be given them. And that it can bless them. Sure, the words may be for their human "owner." But, surely they can feel the power of the priesthood working for them.

Animals are a creation of our Heavenly Father. Rather than inanimate objects (which I feel should not be blessed) they do have a spirit. By this, I stongly feel that they can be influenced by spiritual things, such as the adversary. Why not God as well?

Dove

PS, I'm curious as to the standing of our church on this. What is the position of our church leaders in giving animals blessings? Something I would like to research.

We can have a Priesthood blessing on homes. HOMES! Why not animals? It never made sense to me. I wanted a Priesthood blessing on a cat once, but was told it wasn't done. I was given the explanation that Vort gave, but it didn't make sense to me. We bless homes, we bless babies, we bless people who do not have faith while their loved ones do.

I remember my daughter being only a few days old receiving a blessing. "by your faith you will be healed." I was floored. She was a baby! But in that instance, they meant MY faith. Later, when she's old enough, it will be based on her faith.

I remember my husband got a blessing. He did it only for me. I told the Priesthood holders that I had enough faith for the both of us and that's what they based his blessing on. MY faith.

Why can't the faith of the person who loves the bird be used for the Priesthood blessing? Our pets are a part of our family. Time, resources, love and lots of energy are poured into them. There's no good reason not to give our beloved animals a blessing if they are in need.

As priesthood holder, we have stewardship over creation and the environment we reside. It would be fruitful for us to take care of those of lesser intelligences. ;)