Can you use the Priesthood to bless animals?

Superbaldguy

Guest Scott
7 hours ago, askandanswer said:

I vaguely remember a story, probably from when I was in Primary, of the wife of Hyrum Smith giving what some have termed a blessing to an ox that was feeling unwell as they travelled to the Salt Lake valley. This was a case of a woman giving a blessing/praying about/praying over, a very important tool that that was not working well and that they absolutely depended on. 

Here is the story if anyone is interested:

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/study/friend/1993/07/mary-fielding-smith-mother-in-israel?lang=eng

In addition to being the wife of Hyrum Smith, Mary Fielding Smith was also the mother of the prophet Joseph Fielding Smith.

Excerpt from the story on churchofjesuschrist.org:

Although Mary managed to get some additional cattle to help pull the wagons to the Salt Lake Valley, the trek still tested and refined her faith. One day one of her best oxen became very sick, lay down, and was apparently near death. Had this happened, she could not have continued on the journey to the Valley. Mary got a bottle of consecrated oil and asked two brethren to administer to the sick ox. Although administration to the sick had only been used for humans, Mary believed that the Lord would heal the animal that she needed so desperately.

After the blessing, the ox got up and was soon ready to pull the wagon again. Two more times other oxen became ill, and twice more Mary asked the brethren to bless them. Each time, they were healed instantly. Despite all difficulties, Mary and her family arrived in the Salt Lake Valley on September 23, 1848, a full day before the rest of the company.

Edited by Scott

1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think a commonality in these stories is a certain level of not knowing any better, for which God tends to be quite understanding. When someone who doesn't know it is inappropriate to do certain ceremonial things certain ways, the Lord isn't necessarily going to reject their faithful efforts because of the mistake. But that doesn't mean that when one does know better that the successful stories of faith in action prove that appropriate application of any given ceremony can or should now safely be rejected.

Moses 2:21-22

4 minutes ago, mikbone said:
1 hour ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think a commonality in these stories is a certain level of not knowing any better, for which God tends to be quite understanding. When someone who doesn't know it is inappropriate to do certain ceremonial things certain ways, the Lord isn't necessarily going to reject their faithful efforts because of the mistake. But that doesn't mean that when one does know better that the successful stories of faith in action prove that appropriate application of any given ceremony can or should now safely be rejected.

Moses 2:21-22

Moses 2:21-22:

And I, God, created great whales, and every living creature that moveth, which the waters brought forth abundantly, after their kind, and every winged fowl after his kind; and I, God, saw that all things which I had created were good. And I, God, blessed them, saying: Be fruitful, and multiply, and fill the waters in the sea; and let fowl multiply in the earth;

Not seeing the connection. Can you illuminate?

1 minute ago, mikbone said:

And I, God, blessed them.

Thanks for the clarification. I don't think anyone is suggested that God doesn't (or that we don't, or shouldn't) bless animals. The question centers around the ordinance of the laying on of hands, not the general idea of blessing someone/something.

Mosiah 13:19

"For in six days the Lord made heaven and earth, and the sea, and all that in them is; wherefore the Lord blessed the sabbath day, and hallowed it."

Is it reasonable to conclude that any time the scriptures speak of the Lord blessing something that it means it is appropriate to lay hands upon said thing and declare healing through priesthood authority? 

No, it is not. 

Mikbone logic

I would be very careful telling anyone what or what they cannot do with the priesthood as inspired by God.

@Scott just posted an article wherein Mary Fielding Smith obtained consecrated oil and petitioned the elders to give her oxen a blessing on three separate occasions.  And each time they were healed instantly.  

Respecting females administering for the healing of the sick, there could be no evil in it, if God gave his sanction by healing; that there could be no more sin in any female laying hands on and praying for the sick, than in wetting the face with water; it is no sin for anybody to administer that has faith, or if the sick have faith to be healed by their administration. (Teachings of the Prophet Joseph Smith, 224)

Sometimes there is a great difference in what we know, what we think we know, and truth.

God's understanding of reality and our understanding of space and time are likely vastly different.  

Sometimes it is interesting to me what people (members of the church) come up with to get them through life.  I had a companion on my mission that was rather odd and I am sure he thought I was odd as well.  I do not recall anything that we saw eye to eye on that we could not find something to debate about.  We argued over just about ever doctrine in the church - but we did enjoy working and serving together.  Sometimes I wondered if he really believed some things or claimed to just so we could argue about it.  But then he most likely thought the same of me.  One of our longer running discussions revolved around blessing the food at dinner (or whenever we ate).  He insisted that we give thanks and bless the food when we brought it home from the store.  That way, all things were blessed and thanks was given and there were no, what he called, vain repetitions or quick bite that was overlooked.   He would ask me - "How many times are you going to give thanks and bless that milk carton, loaf of bread or any number of other items?"

One thing we did agree on and that was whenever we would eat out - that we would bless our food and give thanks in private before we were in the public restaurant.   On the other hand I have a friend at the other extreme that insists of blessing everything before he will eat it (including snacks) - and his prayer (blessing) must be out loud.  My favorite thing with him would delay him for a moment to ask, "Are you really going to bless that donut to be nourishing and healthy for your body?"

The Traveler

Edited by Traveler

17 hours ago, Traveler said:

One of our longer running discussions revolved around blessing the food at dinner (or whenever we ate).  He insisted that we give thanks and bless the food when we brought it home from the store.  That way, all things were blessed and thanks was given and there were no, what he called, vain repetitions or quick bite that was overlooked.   He would ask me - "How many times are you going to give thanks and bless that milk carton, loaf of bread or any number of other items?"

Sounds like another prime example of someone fundamentally missing the point. As if the blessing on the food, once again, is a magic spell, and once the milk has been Alakazam'd to "nourish and strengthening us" then it never has to be Alakazam'd again.

17 hours ago, mikbone said:

I would be very careful telling anyone what or what they cannot do with the priesthood as inspired by God.

I would be very careful presuming that any feeling or thought that anyone has must be the Spirit inspiring them to do something even if said thing is clearly inappropriate.

Of course there are times and places where blessing animals may be appropriate if the Spirit dictates. What we're saying is that, as a general rule, this is probably inappropriate, and that idea of inappropriateness ought to be the go-to, and altering course from that go-to should be the rare exception when the Spirit tells us plainly otherwise, and not understood to be the standard or rule.

3 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

Sounds like another prime example of someone fundamentally missing the point. As if the blessing on the food, once again, is a magic spell, and once the milk has been Alakazam'd to "nourish and strengthening us" then it never has to be Alakazam'd again.

What I did not point out in my previous post is that my companion was raised in a very different culture (and language).  This individual had a most profound impact on my life - I have come to understand that we tend to follow according to cultures and understanding we were raised in.  What you may think is a miracle and a matter of faith - someone of another culture may think your concept is better described as magic.  I would say this of my companion - I have never met anyone of greater faith and willing to be obedient to the understanding given to him.  We accommodated each other.  We would bless our food when we brought it home and then again whenever I felt like it.  It the meantime we would tease each other but I would never tease him or belittle him or his devotions to anyone else.

The Traveler

17 hours ago, mikbone said:

Mikbone logic

I do not believe the priesthood works like that - Associated with the priesthood are keys.  There is order - priesthood order that require respect - both to inspiration from G-d and the order and direction from those that hold the keys of the priesthood.  It is not good or wise to take any authority unto oneself except what is authorized by those who hold the keys.  And at any one time there is only one person on earth that holds all the keys.

The Traveler

26 minutes ago, Traveler said:

I would say this of my companion - I have never met anyone of greater faith and willing to be obedient to the understanding given to him.

I think the Lord is understanding of mortal weaknesses who exhibit great faith even when that faith sometimes leads them to look a bit beyond the mark, so to speak, in some particular things.

A statement that any given idea is a misunderstanding of a principle doesn't reflect upon the goodness of the individual who misunderstands, though it is often taken that way. It reflects upon the principle.

But those misunderstandings can be dangerous and if not corrected in said individual's thinking, do pose a risk for falling away.

Edited by The Folk Prophet

2 minutes ago, The Folk Prophet said:

I think the Lord is understanding of mortal weaknesses who exhibit great faith even when that faith sometimes leads them to look a bit beyond the mark in some particular things, so to speak.

A statement that any given idea is a misunderstanding of a principle doesn't reflect upon the goodness of the individual who misunderstands, though it is often taken that way. It reflects upon the principle.

But those misunderstandings can be dangerous and if not corrected in said individual's thinking, do pose a risk for falling away.

I believe when we speak of "the mark" that the actual mark is the exercise of faith.   I am inclined to think that no one falls away while exercising faith but rather they fall away when they no longer exercise faith.  It is my understanding that we exercise "true" faith when we believe in and call upon Christ - giving thanks to him for all things.  Unless we have the faith of a child (not the wisdom or understanding) we will not enter into the kingdom of heaven. 

The Traveler

2 hours ago, Traveler said:

I do not believe the priesthood works like that - Associated with the priesthood are keys.  There is order - priesthood order that require respect - both to inspiration from G-d and the order and direction from those that hold the keys of the priesthood.  It is not good or wise to take any authority unto oneself except what is authorized by those who hold the keys.  And at any one time there is only one person on earth that holds all the keys.

The Traveler

Yes,

But the priesthood is much more than what you see in the handbook.  The priesthood was different during the time of Adam, and Moses.  It is likely very different in the City of Enoch and the spirit world.  

Bottom line, we don't know how the priesthood works any better than we know how dark matter works.  We see its effects, and we feel the sunlight upon our faces but we don't know how it works.  

Yes, at all times we should understand the teachings in the handbook, respect our worthiness, authority, and keys.

But to limit the priesthood to only what we understand is myopic.

In Matthew 8:5-10 a Roman Centurion caused Jesus to marvel at his faith.  And the Centurion's request was honored. 

I always applaud attempts to implement righteous faith.

Now when sisters go off the reservation and start offering faith healings for pay I am gonna call BS.  

4 hours ago, Traveler said:

I believe when we speak of "the mark" that the actual mark is the exercise of faith. 

Actually "the mark" is Jesus Christ and His gospel.

The Pharisees cared more about the practices than they did about God's will and words. Sounds to me like caring more about letter-of-the-law making sure each individual piece of food is "blessed" just once fits in with that more than it does actually giving thanks and reverence to our Father for the food He has provided.

I think you agree with me or you would have agreed with him.

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

But to limit the priesthood to only what we understand is myopic.

We follow the standards the Lord gives because our understanding is myopic. Those limitations (standards) given us are given for just this reason, and we should always follow a better-safe-than-sorry approach to what runs the risk of amounting to blasphemy (mis-use of God's sacred priesthood). Anyone can translate any feeling they want to as the Spirit instead of following guidelines that are given exactly because we cannot see the bigger picture.

It's easy to say and conceptually understand that there is a bigger picture. Knowing how and when to stretch guidelines is, decidedly, more complicated than just justifying out-side-the-norm behavior under the guise of "the Spirit told me to". In principle, yes, if the Spirit speaks, follow. In practice, we follow guidelines carefully because we're mortal and behind the veil.

I think we have some prime scriptural examples. One comes to mind in the story of the man who steadied the ark of the covenant. I believe that story is a pretty convincing one that mere faith and good intentions isn't enough.

3 hours ago, mikbone said:

Now when sisters go off the reservation and start offering faith healings for pay I am gonna call BS.  

How do you know "the Spirit" didn't inspire her to do this?

Guest LiterateParakeet
29 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

When it was time to put my dog down, I gave him a blessing before he left us. No apologies, I'm glad I did it. 

I asked my hubby what he thought about this topic and he said pretty much the same. When our previous dog was passing hubby gave him (the dog) a blessing to ease his transition. 

Guest MormonGator
Just now, LiterateParakeet said:

I asked my hubby what he thought about this topic and he said pretty much the same. When our previous dog was passing hubby gave him (the dog) a blessing to ease his transition. 

Your husband is a great guy Lit. Next time you come down bring him please. 

58 minutes ago, mikbone said:

Common sense.  The Lord has seen fit to give me a large dose.  

When God was doling out the common sense, MG was talking again and I heard "Common cold". I said, "Pass."

Guest MormonGator
4 minutes ago, Vort said:

When God was doling out the common sense, MG was talking again and I heard "Common cold". I said, "Pass."

Same thing happened with you when he was handing out likability. 😉

Edited by MormonGator

5 minutes ago, MormonGator said:

Same thing happened with you when he was handing out likability. 😉

Ah, my friend, you misremember. While I was haranguing you for messing up my common sense, God announced he was ladling out likability. You misheard "bikability", so you said, "That's a skill I really don't care much about." God shrugged and continued down the line.

When it was my turn, God gave me a healthy dollop of likability using what looked like a giant ice cream scoop.Then I asked him, "Since MG didn't want any, can I have his portion?" "Sure," responded God, and took out a pair of tweezers and a magnifying glass. Honestly, you didn't miss much, buddy.