negativity towards Sister Missionaries

Tru2u4eternity

I heard so many bad things about sister missionaries! However, a lot of them are blessed in meeting leaders inspired and not ready to judge the reason why they are serving a mission. Personally, I was greatly blessed since during my mission we had real team work which allowed us to achieve wonderful goals. They are only prejudices.

As Mission Leader I was very upset when we lost our Sister Missionaries in our second area. As a direct result of changing to Elders we lost all but one Investigator and all the Less Actives they had made such progress with.

Blessed are we with Sister Missionaries!

• 1 month later...

The two sister missionaries who visit my mom's house all the time are the ones who recently inspired me to come back to the mormon church after 15 years. Next time I see them, I will tell them that too! They deserve the credit for what great infuences they have been.

Maybe this can help you keep your spirits up and go for that mission, and maybe you can bring up some of these points to those with a bad attitude-- I will say right now that as a woman, I noticed there were so many benefits to having female missionaries around. I was doing my mom's dishes (they were piled a MILE high, I felt so overwhelmed!!), and one of the girl missionaries came in the kitchen and stood beside me. She helped me get them all done, then helped me clean and organize the rest of the kitchen, while we talked about beliefs and such. That would not have been allowed with a male missionary.

Also while I was spending that week at my mom's I slept in my little cousin's room (my mom adopted my 2 little cousins). Both are girls, one is 15, the other is 9 months old. Again, because the missionaries were women, they were allowed to come in the room and sit and talk with us. They even helped us clean the room up. Once again, that would not have been allowed with male missionaries.

They were very inspirational to me, and as a woman, it was nice (for once) to not feel so distant with the missionaries. To feel more like they were friends. Most of all, to be able to give both of our missionaries a great big HUG before they left (yet another thing not allowed between me as a woman, and male missionaries). It was a very different, but very refreshing experience, and I think more women should serve a mission.

The other thing is, all those times when 2 male mormon missionaries would randomly show up at my door back when I was single and living alone, the weather would either be blistering hot outside, or freezing cold, or raining. I would answer the door, we would talk about religion, they would ask about my family... I would explain that I hadn't raised a family yet and still lived alone. Because of that, they said they weren't allowed in. Despite the fact that they were just following rules, I would always feel so rude having to talk to them through an open door. My instincts were saying "invite them in to sit down and rest for a while, offer them something to drink or eat". But because I was a single woman, home alone, I knew they weren't supposed to come and be there with me alone. But I didn't want to stand there and have a whole discussion in an apartment doorway. Relaxing in my chair while they sat on the couch would have been much more easy-going, but that wasn't an option.

Now if they would have been women, that wouldn't have been a problem. That's something else for the "the haters" to consider, because these days, there are a lot of single women out there who can't invite the male missionaries in, but also don't want to converse through the doorway.

Edited by Melissa569

• 2 weeks later...

About three months I returned from a mission, being district leader for about seven months with sisters in my district. I would have to agree that they are often polar missionaries; they are either the best or the worst.

However, in my case they were impossible as a leader to counsel or correct. Sisters can basically do anything they want and no one says anything because the mission president has to protect them. With an Elder the mission leaders can have a talk and sort things out, but with Sisters that can't happen because of provisions in the Missionary Handbook.

Except for one case all the problems in my district were from sister missionaries; they were either lazy, murmuring, or they expected handouts from everyone. When an investigator had a doubt or concern, Sisters generally are not as agressive at solving the problem; they give up too easily.

The best thing that the Church ever did with Sister missionaries is instal them in places like Temple Square or Nauvoo, where they don't have to interact with Elders.

There have to be good Sister missionaries out there, but I have yet to meet one.

We recently switched over from elders to sisters. One sister, who recently left because her mission was complete, was one of the most spiritual and uplifting people I have ever met. Her companion, and the new companion, have been striving to continue the progress she made while she was here. They have a new sister convert this last month, they have been the only missionaries in years to get in the door of an inactive that no one has been able to visit in years.

There are definitely good sister missionaries out there.

About three months I returned from a mission, being district leader for about seven months with sisters in my district. I would have to agree that they are often polar missionaries; they are either the best or the worst.

However, in my case they were impossible as a leader to counsel or correct. Sisters can basically do anything they want and no one says anything because the mission president has to protect them. With an Elder the mission leaders can have a talk and sort things out, but with Sisters that can't happen because of provisions in the Missionary Handbook.

Except for one case all the problems in my district were from sister missionaries; they were either lazy, murmuring, or they expected handouts from everyone. When an investigator had a doubt or concern, Sisters generally are not as agressive at solving the problem; they give up too easily.

The best thing that the Church ever did with Sister missionaries is instal them in places like Temple Square or Nauvoo, where they don't have to interact with Elders.

There have to be good Sister missionaries out there, but I have yet to meet one.

you sound like you really belong in the old testament and your views on womanhood are derogatory and biased . i am sorry to hear you were a zone leader because with those attitudes you certainly should not have been .

after four years of being ignored by male missionaries , i was surprised when attending a ward xmas party a nice sist missionarie called sist ashcroft came over and asked me if i needed anything to eat , i spent some time speaking with her and made an instant freindship , suddenly all the bitterness i felt about the mormon church began to disapear , i watched her going about the room busily doing everything she could to help people and admired her strength and obvious sincerity .

as a disafected member i seem to have a better apreciation of sister missionaries than you do , they certainly have my vote .....

well...i, too, think highly of sister missionaries......and i do agree with vort on her points.

i've met some brother missionaries that i scratched my head about a few times, as well.

lol...when i first joined the church in 1998, at the tender age of 46...i met lots of women that were husband crazy (it seemed to me) in the church....so, go figure.

i served a mission as a stake missionary (when they were called stake missionaries) assisting the younger missionaries with their rounds and duties, as well as some sister missionaries.

there is little doubt that for some, men AND women, having a mate that served a mission is a plus...for others, not so much.

i applaud your descision and believe that you will be blessed and learn a great deal serving.

I was listening to an interview on Mormon radio the other night with the most recent returned mission president from the mission I served in. I was pleased to hear that they had recently opened up some areas to Sister missionaries, and it was nice to hear the mission president and his wife speak of the blessings that having them serve brings to the mission. (When I was in the mission most areas were considered too dangerous to have Sister missionaries serving there)

Obviously since there were no Sister missionaries serving at the time I was in the West Indies I don't have any experience serving with them, but I often felt that there were plenty of people that would have been better off with sister missionaries meeting with them than Elders. As has been mentioned there are those that Sisters are able to touch the hearts of that Elders can't.

I have had good and bad experiences with the Sister missionaries. When we first got Sister missionaries I was so excited because I would be able to go out with them on my own. The first set were kind of an odd pair and there was one Sister in particular who rubbed me the wrong way. She was extremely demanding and would give the Sisters in RS a hard time if they could not go out with them. Then we had a set of Sister who were amazing! Most of the Sisters I have come across seemed to be very hard workers and extremely dedicated. I have seen more lazy and flirty male missionaries. We no longer have Sister missionaries and I miss their sweet spirit.

• 4 weeks later...

Congratulations on deciding to serve a mission!! I am actually in the process of preparing for a mission myself, but I've decided to wait another year to get college out of the way first. I tend to be rather bias when it comes to Sisters because they were the ones who introduced me to the church a little over two years ago. I attend a college ward, so the only missionaries we have for our ward are Sisters. Over the past two plus years I've been able to meet some of the greatest women I know. They've had such a strong testimony and genuine love for the gospel and they share that with everyone they meet. They helped flourish my love of being a member missionary. I absolutely LOVE going with them visiting people and OTMing, I've been called their 3rd companion at times, but that's not the point I'm getting at. Obviously that Elder had issues with Sister Missionaries and hadn't realized how equally important they are in the spreading of the gospel and that both are crucial. I know it's been said time and time again, but there are places that Elders can't get in that Sisters can and vice-versa. When it comes down to it, both Elders and Sisters have different roles in sharing the gospel, but the ultimate goal of both is to share the message of Christ and the restored gospel that is on the Earth today. The goal of every missionary should be, like Alma 26:5&6, to gather the sheaves and get them into the garners - not worrying if a fellow missionary is only out there hunting for a husband or wife or trying to persuade someone not to help out in the harvest.

First of all Congrats on your choice to go on a mission. In my last area my companion and I had a chance ot meet Elder Scott. Upon seeing us he cried " Oh Sister Missionaries! we need Hundreds, no Thousands more of you!" GO for it. You'll have a blast!

Sadley there are sisters who go out on a mission as a Plan B. They couldn't get married so they went on a mission. Its sort of the same with Elders who go simply because they are 19. You get all kinds really, but for the most part the sisters I served with, and around were amazing. Strong,spiritual, and fun. One Elder said he hated transfering in after sisters because the ward went into mourning. :)

I think they should be encouraging girls to consider missions more. I mean, we're knee deep in the last days here. What we need are spiritually strong, educated women to raise the coming generations. We cannot simply depend on the testimonies of our husbands. Plus there are those out there who the Elders can't reach. Sisters are integral to the work. Slap that Elder upside the head, because he has no clue what he's talking about.

~ and that's my two cents