What do LDS think they are saved from?

ErikJohnson

Interesting. I have to say I don't recall hearing that a person could be sent to the "Spirit Prison" and subsequently end up in "Outer Darkness." I thought LDS Spirit Prison was somewhat analogous to the Catholic doctrine of Purgatory. No one in Purgatory ends up going to Hell.

I don't see a functional difference here. Whether you wind up in the TK or in outer darkness; as soon as you die you're in a state of hell. The difference is that after the resurrection those in the TK are redeemed from that state; whereas the sons of perdition are not.

See the Encyclopedia of Mormonism's entry on hell.

See also D&C 138:57-59:

57 I beheld that the faithful elders of this dispensation, when they depart from mortal life, continue their labors in the preaching of the gospel of repentance and redemption, through the sacrifice of the Only Begotten Son of God, among those who are in darkness and under the bondage of sin in the great world of the spirits of the dead.

58 The dead who repent will be redeemed, through obedience to the ordinances of the house of God,

59 And after they have paid the penalty of their transgressions, and are washed clean, shall receive a reward according to their works, for they are heirs of salvation.

. . . and no reference has been forthcoming.

Apologies for that; have been sick these last couple of days.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man... This is another thread giving me a headache... Would someone close this? The OP has been answered; now he's just looking for a theological fight. Personally, I'm tired of fighting with him.

ErikJohnson-

We've plainly told you what our theology holds to be true. Any further problems you have show that you are only here to cause problems and dispute with us. You don't have to agree with our theology on a personal level to understand what we believe- we've told you plain and simple. Here, your opening post was merely a dishonestly marked door that opened not to a search for answers, but to a round of religion-bashing that you apparently crave. If you think we're wrong, then fine- we may be wrong, but you're not convincing any of us otherwise. You told me via PM that 'this isn't a game'. You're right- it's not a game, and I'm not amused by your behavior. Please... just go, or start interacting with this community in an honest and upright manner.

Unless you change your tactics, I personally promise you any future 'inquisitional' posts will be met with pictures of funny cats. My apologies to anyone else who might still harbor hopes of honest interaction with the OP, but when a situation calls for cats... the cats must come.

Edited by Maxel