differences

glennh

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can you give a specific OT or NT reference for this? I am weak on the OT and more versed on the NT-but an OT reference would be best.

-Carol

Aaron was in charge of the sacrifices and the general care of the Tabernacle. However, Moses was in charge of the tabernacle itself.

Hello folks, as a long time traditional Christian and short time LDS investigater, I was wondering what the LDS church finds wrong with traditional Christian churches. ( I'm have my own humble opinions but as an investigater I'm not sure I'm right) Thank you all for your time.

The simplest answer to your question is, "Because God said so." To paraphrase the experience of Joseph Smith:

There was a lot of revivals and proselyting in the area where he lived. His mother joined the Presbyterian Church. Joseph was beginning to favor the Methodist Church. Joseph wanted to know which Church God wanted him to join.

I was one day reading the Epistle of James, first chapter and fifth verse, which reads: "If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him." ...

He took James advice and went into the woods near his home where he could be alone to pray to God and get an answer on the matter.

I saw a pillar of light exactly over my head, above the brightness of the dsun, which descended gradually until it fell upon me ... When the light rested upon me I saw two Personages, whose brightness and glory defy all description, standing above me in the air. One of them spake unto me, calling me by name and said, pointing to the other—This is My Beloved Son. Hear Him!

18 My object in going to inquire of the Lord was to know which of all the sects was right, that I might know which to join. No sooner, therefore, did I get possession of myself, so as to be able to speak, than I asked the Personages who stood above me in the light, which of all the sects was right (for at this time it had never entered into my heart that all were wrong)—and which I should join.

19 I was answered that I must join none of them, for they were all wrong; and the Personage who addressed me said that all their creeds were an abomination in his sight; that those professors were all corrupt; that: “they draw near to me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me, they teach for doctrines the commandments of men, having a form of godliness, but they deny the power thereof.”

Simple answer: Joseph Smith prayed to God and asked which church God wanted him to join. God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared, told him to not join any of them, told him that they were all wrong, and told him that the true church of God and Christ would be revealed by them through Joseph. This was not the answer that Joseph was expecting obviously.

One could spend an eternity trying to prove or disprove the correctness or falsehood of every religion under the sun. Joseph Smith took it to God and that was his answer. It behooves each of us to find out if the experience Joseph Smith describes really did happen. If God the Father and Jesus Christ really did appear to Joseph Smith and if the experience described above really did happen.

If it did really happen then you're asking the wrong question: Rather than asking, "what [does] the LDS church finds wrong with traditional Christian churches?" you would be asking, "what does God find wrong with traditional Christian churches?" Again, not the answer that Joseph Smith was expecting, but if that answer truly came from God, then every person on this earth had ought to give heed.

Can you give a specific OT or NT reference for this? I am weak on the OT and more versed on the NT-but an OT reference would be best.

-Carol

Leviticus 8, Moses anoints and sets apart Aaron, his sons and the Levites to the work in the Tabernacle. If Moses was not the head of the temple, would he be the one setting them apart?

Exodus 33, Moses enters into the Tabernacle and speaks with the Lord within. Aaron and his sons never have this experience. BTW, Joshua, who Moses ordained to succeed him, was also in the Tabernacle during this event - strongly suggesting Joshua also was head of the Tabernacle.

It was Moses, and later Joshua, that commanded the priests of Aaron where to carry the Ark of the Covenant, set up the Tabernacle in the wilderness, etc.

The power and influence of the prophets within Israel is undeniable. We find clues throughout the Bible that there was a degree of organization to them, but we don't have a description of it.

As for the Levitical/Aaronic Order, we have detailed information describing their organization and function. Their authority from God was intially bestowed by Moses. We see a recurring theme throughout the Old Testament where individual who were not Levites nor Priests appear to have held as much or more authority than the Priests. Samuel, Elijah, and Isaiah would be an excellent examples. The word, "Church" is not commonly used to describe the people of God, because it was assumed that if you were an Israelite, then you were one of his people. But the religion and practices are very structured and very detailed. The word "Church" might not be used to describe them, but if we saw such an organization today, we would certainly call it a Church.

If it did really happen then you're asking the wrong question: Rather than asking, "what [does] the LDS church finds wrong with traditional Christian churches?" you would be asking, "what does God find wrong with traditional Christian churches?" Again, not the answer that Joseph Smith was expecting, but if that answer truly came from God, then every person on this earth had ought to give heed.

As an investigater I am full of questions, The missionaries do very well with answering them but your response has set me straight. Thank you very much. The faith I find with LDS members is a hundredfold more than I have ever seen at other traditional churches I have spent the better part of my life attending. It humbles me. Thanks again for everyones responses.

Glenn

Hello folks, as a long time traditional Christian and short time LDS investigater, I was wondering what the LDS church finds wrong with traditional Christian churches. ( I'm have my own humble opinions but as an investigater I'm not sure I'm right) Thank you all for your time.

Be candid, do they really know the Savior? Do they really know the FATHER? Why is it so hard to ask GOD for the truth on which church is HIS? Is the Book of Mormon truly a witness of Jesus Christ to the Americas? You can see my point...It is not matter of finding references in a book and hoping you are right. It is matter of asking for the truth vice our own opinions. ;)

Exodus 33, Moses enters into the Tabernacle and speaks with the Lord within. Aaron and his sons never have this experience. BTW, Joshua, who Moses ordained to succeed him, was also in the Tabernacle during this event - strongly suggesting Joshua also was head of the Tabernacle.

And Joshua wasn't even a Levite.

That's the point I was trying to make. Joshua was an Ephraimite, of the tribe of Joseph. And it is through the blessings and promises to the spiritual (and literal) tribe of Joseph that we believe the blessings of the Melchizedek Priesthood are given today in the LDS Church.

Be candid, do they really know the Savior? Do they really know the FATHER? Why is it so hard to ask GOD for the truth on which church is HIS? Is the Book of Mormon truly a witness of Jesus Christ to the Americas? You can see my point...It is not matter of finding references in a book and hoping you are right. It is matter of asking for the truth vice our own opinions. ;)

Does GOD say one needs to select a church?

Does GOD say one needs to select a church?

Can you get by with a High School diploma? Yes you could. But a trade school certificate would be better. But a college degree would open open up opportunities, insights and improve your quality of live four fold.

You can put together your own church. Would that be the best option?

Can you get by with a High School diploma? Yes you could. But a trade school certificate would be better. But a college degree would open open up opportunities, insights and improve your quality of live four fold.

You can put together your own church. Would that be the best option?

A college degree will not show a person how to reach heaven.

Were two or more are gathered in MY name, there I AM in the middle. CHRIST builds HIS CHURCH ---------- it only takes two plus CHRIST.

Nipper are you not reading anything that anyone has posted on this thread? There have been some wonderful posts made explaining the subject. Yet you continually choose to mock and debate the posts.

Perhaps reading what someone has to say...might be a good direction to go.

Nipper are you not reading anything that anyone has posted on this thread? There have been some wonderful posts made explaining the subject. Yet you continually choose to mock and debate the posts.

Perhaps reading what someone has to say...might be a good direction to go.

What I'm trying to say, as simply as possible is that CHRIST always seemed to indicate that man's wisdom is worthless. The GOSPEL message and all that matters is very simply.

(I Corinthians 3:18-20)

Christ never indicated that man's wisdom is worthless. He indicates that those who put their OWN wisdom over God's is worthless. That their vanity gets in the way of truth.

Christ never indicated that man's wisdom is worthless. He indicates that those who put their OWN wisdom over God's is worthless. That their vanity gets in the way of truth.

If a man's wisdom doesn't count for eternity, then what value is it on a scale from 1 to 10 (where 10 counts for everything and 1 counts for nothing)?

If a man's wisdom doesn't count for eternity, then what value is it on a scale from 1 to 10 (where 10 counts for everything and 1 counts for nothing)?

Do you have a point and does it have anything whatsoever to do with this thread?