Why are we here?

pam

At a Stake Conference of the Chula Vista, California Stake, President Paul B. Duncan related the following story.

President Duncan explained how Saturday was a day to get things done around their house because of work, family and church responsibilities. Just a few weeks ago he and his youngest son Jeff who is six years old had just finished mowing the lawn and were putting things away.

President Duncan thought this would be a terrific opportunity to rest and spend a few minutes with Jeff. The two of them crawled up on the family's trampoline and gazed up into the blue sky. With a puzzled look Jeff turned and asked "Dad,...Why are we here?"

President Duncan thought this would be great teaching opportunity so he explained how we are children of our Father in Heaven, How he has sent us here because he loves us and wants us to experience the things he has created for us, How he wants us to serve one another, to learn, to grow and to develop those qualties that will allow us to return to live with Him some day.

President Duncan paused and asked if that had answered his question. Jeff responded, "Not really". President Duncan then began to think how else he might be able to answer the question when Jeff again asked, "Dad,...Why are we here?...weren't we supposed to pick Mom up an hour ago?"

ps: I was amazed to find this joke. Paul Duncan was a friend of mine growing up. Youngest Stake President they had ever had before. This was about 20 years ago.

Are you serious? I grew up in that stake. I was in CV 2nd ward for awhile...but mainly grew up in Otay Mesa ward. Do they still meet in the old chapel? We probably know lots of the same people.

Are you serious? I grew up in that stake. I was in CV 2nd ward for awhile...but mainly grew up in Otay Mesa ward. Do they still meet in the old chapel? We probably know lots of the same people.

We meet in the Stake Center on H street. The church sold the old Corte Maria building to a different church a few years ago. My wife grew up in 2nd ward before her family moved to the 3rd ward when she was a teen. Her dad (Paul Norris) used to be bishop of 3rd ward and now he is in the stake presidency. Pres. Duncan is in our ward and is the Young Mens Pres.

Oh man..I LOVED the Corte Maria building. I have so many memories of that building. That's where I went to Primary etc.

Paul Norris? You've got to be kidding me. I know Paul Norris. Well actually I know his wife Becky better. Or did. Haven't seen them in years. I knew Becky's sister Jackie better. We were the same age. Becky's dad used to be my Bishop before he was killed in the motorcycle accident some 30 years ago. The Resons were actually the first family we met when we moved to San Diego. I've known them since I was about 7 years old. Becky's mom Barbra used to babysit me before and after school when I was in elementary school.

Bishop Reson was the one that got me to read the Book of Mormon for the first time as an after school project when I was about 8 years old.

Edited by pam

Hidden

Oh man..I LOVED the Corte Maria building. I have so many memories of that building. That's where I went to Primary etc.

Yeah, we miss that building too. It didn't meet building code and was too expensive to make the repairs so they sold it.

Paul Norris? You've got to be kidding me. I know Paul Norris. Well actually I know his wife Becky better. Or did. Haven't seen them in years. I knew Becky's sister Jackie better. We were the same age.

Jackie was just down here over Pres weekend to visit. She usually come a few times a year to visit. We just love aunt Jackie.

Becky's dad used to be my Bishop before he was killed in the motorcycle accident some 30 years ago. The Resons were actually the first family we met when we moved to San Diego. I've known them since I was about 7 years old. Becky's mom Barbra used to babysit me before and after school when I was in elementary school.

She's Barbara Bailey now, but still lives in the same house on Oleander. I wonder if she would remember you.

Bishop Reson was the one that got me to read the Book of Mormon for the first time as an after school project when I was about 8 years old.

That's awesome!!

Paul Norris? You've got to be kidding me. I know Paul Norris. Well actually I know his wife Becky better. Or did. Haven't seen them in years. I knew Becky's sister Jackie better. We were the same age. Becky's dad used to be my Bishop before he was killed in the motorcycle accident some 30 years ago. The Resons were actually the first family we met when we moved to San Diego. I've known them since I was about 7 years old. Becky's mom Barbra used to babysit me before and after school when I was in elementary school.

Yeah, we miss that building too. It didn't meet building code and was too expensive to make the repairs so they sold it. Jackie was just down here over Pres weekend to visit. She usually flies in from Texas a few times a year to visit. We just love aunt Jackie. Barbara is Barbara Bailey now, but still lives in the same house on Oleander. I wonder if she would remember you.

Is the building still standing where Pam attended church? I would have thought they would have made it a national landmark by now. Oldest building standing or something like that.

:)

Ben Raines

BenRaines is so old he helped build the building that Pam first went to church in. :P

Yeah, we miss that building too. It didn't meet building code and was too expensive to make the repairs so they sold it. Jackie was just down here over Pres weekend to visit. She usually flies in from Texas a few times a year to visit. We just love aunt Jackie. Barbara is Barbara Bailey now, but still lives in the same house on Oleander. I wonder if she would remember you.

Oh she would remember me and my family. I know that for sure. We used to live on Oleander as well. Right across the street from Greg Rogers Elementary.