Who issues callings?

hrsmn

I received a phone call from my elder's quorum president. He was calling me to be a teacher in the elder's quorum. I thought that callings like this were supposed to be issued by the bishop, at church and not over the phone. I am wondering who issues callings, and how should they be issued?

Thanks

I received a phone call from my elder's quorum president. He was calling me to be a teacher in the elder's quorum. I thought that callings like this were supposed to be issued by the bishop, at church and not over the phone. I am wondering who issues callings, and how should they be issued?

Thanks

The Elders Q Pres can ask anyone to teach and serve as the Secretary of the Quorum. His councilors have to be approved by the Stake and the Stake High Council and those callings are extended to the person from the Stake. As far as being called as a Teacher of the Quorum and a Secretary the Q Pres can do it anyway he wants.

Well technically the Lord but not always. My bishop, whom I love, once called his primary daughter to be the primary pianist when she could barely do better than plunk. Her mother ended up doing most of the playing...I guess he decided with his mother in law? My friend was the primary president and called someone else when she was informed that the decision had been unequivocally made with the bishop and someone who at the time had nothing to do with primary. This really confuses me because both the bishop and this woman are fine examples of righteousness but were way out of their bounds. My friend has been through an incredible amount because of this ward and did not put up a big fight because she and her whole family is in enough undeserved trouble as it is. He said she would need to get used to this as she would be doing things like this for the rest of her life. What about her son who is vastly better...but poor, part of an unrespected ward family and not the bishop's son? Excuse my cynicism but I believe it is founded as nepotism has no place among God's people. The primary pianist is now an adult but this reluctant (I could tell) little girl was pianist for quite a wile.

To keep it real simple:

The Bishop is not over the Elder's Quorum. The Stake President is over the Elders Quorum.

The Elder's Presidency extends callings for teachers within the Elder's Quorum.

If you are sustained as a Elder's Quorum teacher, it will surely bless you personally. I have served as a substitute teacher for the Elder's Quorum, and it is very special.

I wish you the best,

Michael

I wonder when my Daughter was called as the Teacher of her Sunday School class while she was a Senior in High School if members thought I was showing nepotism????

:(

No that sounds more reasonable to me...a teenager is perfectly capable of more than instructional "plunking" I am sure she is fine. She is doing a good job I assume.:huh::)

I wonder when my Daughter was called as the Teacher of her Sunday School class while she was a Senior in High School if members thought I was showing nepotism????

No, only if it were your nephew.

</geekylinguisticjoke>

:(

No that sounds more reasonable to me...a teenager is perfectly capable of more than instructional "plunking" I am sure she is fine. She is doing a good job I assume.:huh::)

This took place a few years ago....she did a great job....it also helped to shape and grow her testimony.....It was all the Sunday School President who turned her name in to be called.

• 1 month later...

I was surprised about how it has been stated a teacher for EQ is called. In the two wards I have been a part of in Nova Scotia ALL callings go through the Bishopric. Auxiliaries submit a form on who they have been inspired for and the Bishopric prays about it, sometimes several times then they interview and extend a calling. It is sustained in sacrament. Since both Ward have had Stake Presidency members I have to conclude it is the way the Stake operates as well.

Auxiliaries can extend an assignment for temporary need but that is it. And I have to add it takes many weeks to get people called. The last request I submitted for a Ward Missionary took 3 months before I was told no. Our EQ President has been trying to get a second Councilor since October and last week lost his first councilor as well.

When I was called to be EQ secretary while living in California the calling came from the Stake President. I was asked to meet with him, and he extended the calling. In Missouri the same calling came from the bishopric. I was asked by a counselor.

While serving in Missouri, we selected teachers during our weekly meetings. I don't remember if callings were issued as it was several years ago.

Edited by miztrniceguy

The stake president calls an elder to serve as the elders’ quorum president.

The stake presidency or an assigned high councilman calls two elders to serve as counselors to the elders’ quorum president.

With the bishop’s approval, the elders quorum president or one of his counselors may call and set apart an elders quorum secretary.

With the bishop’s approval, the elders quorum president or one of his counselors may call and set apart one or more elders quorum instructors.

I was surprised about how it has been stated a teacher for EQ is called. In the two wards I have been a part of in Nova Scotia ALL callings go through the Bishopric. Auxiliaries submit a form on who they have been inspired for and the Bishopric prays about it, sometimes several times then they interview and extend a calling. It is sustained in sacrament. Since both Ward have had Stake Presidency members I have to conclude it is the way the Stake operates as well.

Auxiliaries can extend an assignment for temporary need but that is it. And I have to add it takes many weeks to get people called. The last request I submitted for a Ward Missionary took 3 months before I was told no. Our EQ President has been trying to get a second Councilor since October and last week lost his first councilor as well.

It sounds like your bishopric needs to investigate a more efficient way to recommend and extend callings. Three months time seems to be a bit excessive. To me, it seems like the process in that ward is unnecessarily bureaucratic, which often tends to lose sight of the ministry.