New Job/new Spouse

DisRuptive1

I was thinking today (I do that alot) and noticed a correllation between leaving your spouse/boyfriend and finding a new job.

When you decide to find another job, you stay with your old job and go out and look for the new job. Eventually you turn in an application, get an interview, and finally hired into the new job. Once you have the new job, you go back to your old employer and give them your 2 week's notice, and for about 2 weeks you can consider yourself to have two jobs.

With dating, it seems to work the same way. For some reason or other, you don't like your current spouse/boy/girlfriend. You might be out somewhere (a bar for instance), and see an attractive person alone at the bar (a "Now Hiring" sign). You go up to her and introduce yourself to her (submit your application). Sometimes things work out and various stuff happens and the person gets to know you (your interview). If you like this person more than your current boy/girlfriend then you go to them (your boy/girlfriend) and tell them, "Honey, I've met someone" (submit your two week's notice). Then you break off that relationship with lots of tears (your paycheck for accumulated hours) and go to your new special person (last day at work).

Now, if I'm not mistaken, if someone tells you that they found someone else then one of two things could have occured. Like a job, they could have quit their job, long before they found a new one and would be unemployed until they found their new job; so by saying they met someone else, nothing would have happened up to that point, but they want it to happen and it will happen after they leave you. Or, they could have already done stuff with the other person and liked them better because of it, and are leaving you since their new person is "better" than you. In this way, if someone said that they met someone else, then it is safe to assume that they cheated on you.

That's what I was thinking.

Guest curvette

That's not the way I recall it happening. With the job maybe, but not with the boyfriend. I usually just got tired of the guy, told him to take a hike, and then met someone else later. I never went off looking for someone else while stringing the guy along.

A job is a job and you have an ethical obligation to be loyal to your employer. Such loyalty entails them paying you and you doing your best to make them successful. The ethical obligation does not include not looking for or considering other employment on your own time.

Perhaps the same can be said for most boyfriend/girl friend situations.

The same definately cannot be said of of married life. Then you have an ethical and moral obligation to not only not be looking, but structuring your life to exclude those who might come looking for you. You don't just meet someone - you eliminate the possibility of just meeting someone or if you know/meet someone - then the second it points to anything beyond normal, social or professional intercourse, you terminate it and isolate it. If your marriage is irreconcilably beyond repair, you end the marriage properly and legal and THEN go looking.

...oh was I moralizing?

Sorry.

I have never made an agreement that I would stay with an employer for the rest of my life or for eternity. I did make an eternal agreement with my wife. I did agree with my employer that I would give 2 weeks notice before leaving. I have always kept my promises to my wife and employer

As for when I was dating - I remember asking someone to an evening activity but I do not recall making arangements more than a day by day basis. I never understood the steady boy friend - girl friend thing. That was until I got engaged. I think there are some differences between dating, courtship, engagement, marriage and excepting employment but I think a person should always be good for their word and true to their commitments.

The Traveler

Guest jackvance88

Originally posted by Traveler@Jan 12 2005, 09:32 PM

I have never made an agreement that I would stay with an employer for the rest of my life or for eternity. I did make an eternal agreement with my wife. I did agree with my employer that I would give 2 weeks notice before leaving. I have always kept my promises to my wife and employer

As for when I was dating - I remember asking someone to an evening activity but I do not recall making arangements more than a day by day basis. I never understood the steady boy friend - girl friend thing. That was until I got engaged. I think there are some differences between dating, courtship, engagement, marriage and excepting employment but I think a person should always be good for their word and true to their commitments.

The Traveler

i actually dissagree about having any obligation to give an employer 2 weeks notice "unless" they are under the very same obligation should they get rid of you. i have heard of many employers telling their employees to leave on the day they were fired!!!!! and that's when they were fired not for any misconduct but mere business/economic reasons!!! if there'a any notice obligation then it's only because it was pursuant to a written contract between employer and employee and the obligation is mutual

Jack,

I believe you live in Utah, don't you? Utah is what is known as an "at will" state, which means that an employer or employee can end their relationship for just about any or no reason at all. The customary two week notice is usually used in situations where one side or the other does not want to burn bridges. Usually what has happened in the cases I have seen is that the employee gives the employer his two week notice when he has found a new job, and the employer tells the employee not to worry about the two weeks, they can leave immediately. I can also understand why an employer would want a fired employee to leave immediately, they don't want a disgruntled employee having access to anything they can damage the company with.