Martial Arts Anyone???

Berean

OK I am new and one of the first things I do is start a thread...what is the etiquette here on that?

I see nothing about the coolest sport there is unless the title is cleverly disguised. Is anyone here into Martial Arts? Personally practice Shotokan Karate but I am only an orange belt. (white-yellow-orange-green-blue-purple-brown-black, I think red is in there somewhere.)

Anyone? Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Akido, something else?

This and soccer are really the only sports that interest me, and I think watching soccer is boring except for when someone gets a "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!"

Sorry, I can certainly see the appeal but in high school I as in marching band. We were very competitive and actually did well...actually quite intense, like an adolescent military.:o

Good times.

I may put this on all posts until it happens...or I know an answer.

How long till I get my email comfirmation?:D

lol starting threads right away is fine unless it's one of those copy paste from an anti site with some fake story of how it's a genuine question you came up with all on your own.

you should get the email confirmation pretty quickly.

i don't know much about martial arts though i was looking at tai chi for kids videos yesterday.... lol

welcome to the site.

OK I am new and one of the first things I do is start a thread...what is the etiquette here on that?

I see nothing about the coolest sport there is unless the title is cleverly disguised. Is anyone here into Martial Arts? Personally practice Shotokan Karate but I am only an orange belt. (white-yellow-orange-green-blue-purple-brown-black, I think red is in there somewhere.)

Anyone? Karate, Kung Fu, Tae Kwon Do, Akido, something else?

This and soccer are really the only sports that interest me, and I think watching soccer is boring except for when someone gets a "GOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOAL!!!!!!"

Sorry, I can certainly see the appeal but in high school I as in marching band. We were very competitive and actually did well...actually quite intense, like an adolescent military.:o

Good times.

I may put this on all posts until it happens...or I know an answer.

How long till I get my email comfirmation?:D

I am a martial art enthusiast. I have lots of old injuries so the pain is started to show its ugly face around so I am not able to do as much any more but I work out 1-2 x week. I practiced Judo and Karate for many years. This days I train with some friends that are into MMA.

Hi Islander, you have a black belt don't you...?

As I posted I am at orange level right now but hope someday for my black belt. I love Shotokan because the instructors are fantastic. Tough but kind and great. Don't ever train with the Sensai because the last time I did I wanted to get sick after. If there is one other person there, good but train alone with him if you want...a challenge. :shuriken:

...no we do not do ninja stars but I do use and own my own sais...the sai kata is almost 200 moves long and has a really long name. It is very repetitive but I don't entirely have it memorized yet.

PS Which island are you from if I may ask?

I have wanted to get into Martial Arts, but have never had good luck with schools. I started with Wing Chun locally, good fun, and well suited to me, but the instructor moved his classes to Sunday, right in between Gospel Doctrine and Sacrament.

I then found a Freestyle Wado Ryu Karate school locally. I still walk with a limp from an injury sustained there 3 years ago, and have been awaiting physiotherapy so I can find some other school.

• 2 weeks later...

I do ninjutsu, kenpo karate, MMA, and want to get into brazilian juijutsu. I had a blackbelt jujutsu friend that I was sparring with, hes much smaller, he jumped, spun, back heel kicked me across my chest and by time we hit the ground I was already in an armbar. I dont know of any classes in my area though, so im looking into an hapkido class at the rec-center. Diferences between hapkido and aikido? I've heard that aikido lacks some of the more dynamic parts of martial arts, true/untrue?

I make my own shurikens (ninja stars), get pieces of metal, metal shears, a hammer, and a sharpening rock, and you have "ninja stars", electrical outlet covers come in different thicknesses, thicker ones have good weight, saw blades can be good too but either way you need really strong hands. Some people say that they are "fake" but if they can go through wood theyre okay with me.

Wow, you make and use weapons...impressive. *And* they are functional. Yeah, I'd say real.

I don't really want to fight, for me it is almost like a dance/culture class although I am curious how I would stand up in a fight I just don't want to hurt anyone lol.

The only weapons I use anymore are my sais even though I have a collection of some pretty swords and many knives between husband and me...people ask what they are for when we buy them...:rolleyes:

I say "to look at!"

...although at the street festival where we bought a beautiful set of 3 swords (long medium short) Joe told the police man he would be willing to help with crowd control...we all knew it was a joke but he likes to tweak *everyone*!!!

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Anyone with LDS standards or similar in the Santa Monica, CA area interested in learning and practicing while helping to preserve an almost extinct Taoist martial art? It has been guarded so well that it is nearly gone. I am not a Sifu, so the value here would be the art, and not the teacher, but I am sharing what I have learned over the last 18 years, and this is an unbelieveably amazing art. Similar roots to SSTT if you want to google that for some of the more esoteric details. I know most of those guys. I am in a couple of the videos getting pummeled or burned with the fire element. My approach is a bit different from theirs and unique even among the few who are attempting to share this. Defintely not your normal muscle and knuckle art. I had a brown belt in that type of art, but find this art much more fascinating. Just for contrast, lifting weights is counter productive to this art, and you can hit with just about anything except the first 2 knuckles. ;)

• 1 month later...

I did TKD for a year but quit after that despite my teacher telling me I had a lot of potential. One of these days I may return and take it up again but only as a hobby of course. My husband is really into Jiu-Jitsu and we're both hardcore fans of the UFC: MMA.

• 10 months later...

hmm... this thread has kinda been in the backseat for some time.

I was into judo when I was in college. Got fat after college and got married so I don't do any throwing or sweeping anymore but just my tummy-nage and eatsa-waza. The wife often yells out "Matte!!! Matte yo!!!" when I have already munched on a lot of potato chips.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about Krav Maga? I'm kinda interested in it, you know just for self defense. ^_^

hmm... this thread has kinda been in the backseat for some time.

I was into judo when I was in college. Got fat after college and got married so I don't do any throwing or sweeping anymore but just my tummy-nage and eatsa-waza. The wife often yells out "Matte!!! Matte yo!!!" when I have already munched on a lot of potato chips.

I was wondering if any of you know anything about Krav Maga? I'm kinda interested in it, you know just for self defense. ^_^

They're advertising Krav Maga at the theaters right now (before Karate Kid show). It looked interesting so I went to check it out. It seems like it's mainly hand-to-hand combat and a lot of focus on counter-attack. I didn't like it much, but that's because I'm in the Kali arts which has a wider range (it seems, although, I'm not sure if I saw all of what Krav Maga can do) which ranges from hand-to-hand, weaponry, and ground fighting.

• 4 years later...

I've heard that aikido lacks some of the more dynamic parts of martial arts, true/untrue?

Well, I'm only a couple weeks into the class, but everything I've seen so far is about doing as little as is necessary and letting gravity beat the snot out of your opponent.  I like that aspect.  I could see it being a very frustrating art to face in an actual fight, since attacking (and invariably ending up on the mat) just feels like you screwed up and stumbled somewhere, and your opponent burned about two calories taking advantage of it between yawns.