A question in good faith.

Fiannan

This is really not a response to the threads dealing with rules and such but it does appear to look like it's related -- who knows, maybe some energy flux in the air. Oh well, here it goes:

What are the rules in regards to posting links if there is something, anything, on the page that opens that is objectionable?

You see the question deals with a page that has a song on it that I think is really cool and, upon reading the lyrics, it seems to even have a Christian overtone. I was going to ask people if they thought it was Christian or perhaps mocked Christian thought in a subtle way. Problem is, as with most internet message boards, there are profanities in a couple of the posts by people who don't like the artist.

This is problematic since even posting links to You Tube videos that deal with our faith there is often someone posting a profamilty. My little girls like an alphabet video there but some of the posters make crude and vulgar comments in the comments sections.

So could I get in trouble for posting a link to a song if the song contains no profamity yet there are nasty comments in the comment threads?

Dunno about your question's answer, but could you copy/paste the lyrics?

Technically that is a violation of copyright if you don't link it. I am just wondering if a song that plays over and over again on a Provo radio station without complaints can have the video link and then discussed.

Hidden

Perfect solution:

Steal someone else's identity and create an account with their identity, then copy/paste the words. That way, if you get caught, it's not YOU who gets caught!

Although, maybe there's another, better way...

youtube is a sort of safe haven for the posting of copyrighted work, at least until they get served with a DMCA Takedown Notice from a copyright holder.

Personally I would use Firefox,with the "YouTube Comment Snob" plugin which removes profanity, bad grammar, bad spelling, etc (customizable). When you post a link to dynamic content, there may be no profanity when you post it, but when I look at it, someone has used profanity in the lapsed time.

I'm not a mod, but personally, I'd say go for it. It'd be silly to say no because the owner and moderators of this website have no control over the content of external links, therefore they could be edited to include vulgar content even if it appears to be 100% clean at the time of posting. In my opinion, just use common sense before posting a link. If someone gets offended by seeing some bad language after clicking on an external link, they shouldn't be using the internet. You can reasonably expect to come across bad language if you do much browsing.

What about copy right materials? Something he asked about....:)

Thank you, if you post material without a link you are violating the law. If you post a link then someone can sabatage just about anything -- videos on You Tbe ranging in contenct from innocent alphabet lessons to pro-LDS videos get responders who will post the most vile words and messages in the comments section.

Also, I think it is safe to say that this site has its share of agent pravatours who pose as LDS but place topics intended to create controversy and contention. These folk could very easily see a link to a video and then go there and make a reply that is filled with obscenities and which could then cause someone to get an infraction.

This is cut from the site rule link at the top of the page:

8. Copyright Policy. You may not post, modify, distribute, or reproduce in any way any copyrighted material, trademarks, or other proprietary information belonging to others without obtaining the prior written consent of the owner of such proprietary rights. It is the policy of LDS.NET to terminate Membership privileges of any Member who repeatedly infringes the copyright rights of others upon receipt of proper notification to LDS.NET by the copyright owner or the copyright owner's legal agent. Without limiting the foregoing, if you believe that your work has been copied and posted on the LDS.NET Services in a way that constitutes copyright infringement, please provide our Copyright Agent with the following information: (i) an electronic or physical signature of the person authorized to act on behalf of the owner of the copyright interest; (ii) a description of the copyrighted work that you claim has been infringed; (iii) a description of where the material that you claim is infringing is located on the LDS.NET Services; (iv) your address, telephone number, and email address; (v) a written statement by you that you have a good faith belief that the disputed use is not authorized by the copyright owner, its agent, or the law; (vi) a statement by you, made under penalty of perjury, that the above information in your notice is accurate and that you are the copyright owner or authorized to act on the copyright owner's behalf.

I'm not a legal eagle, but the way I understand it is that portions of copyrighted material generally may be used as long as you list the source. Personally, if I am quoting a portion of a news story, I will tell where it can be found and also try to provide a link to the story or website it came from. I would suggest that if you can't do that much without violating the rules of the site, then the most you can do is talk about it in general terms.

My understabnding of the reason you can't quote from the CHI is that it is both copyrighted and also not available for public use. Remember that sometimes the line is gray on what does or does not constitute a violation. We here will always try to allow what we think we can, but if we are ever contacted by a copyright holder demanding a removal of material, I think we would comply without quibbling too much about it.

• 3 weeks later...

Thank you, if you post material without a link you are violating the law. If you post a link then someone can sabatage just about anything -- videos on You Tbe ranging in contenct from innocent alphabet lessons to pro-LDS videos get responders who will post the most vile words and messages in the comments section.

Also, I think it is safe to say that this site has its share of agent pravatours who pose as LDS but place topics intended to create controversy and contention. These folk could very easily see a link to a video and then go there and make a reply that is filled with obscenities and which could then cause someone to get an infraction.

Well another possibilty is for the forum operator to install youtube tags, which embed the video into the forum. Of course, it will probably provide a link to the youtube page with the video on by default as well, but as I've said previously, if you really don't want to see bad language, the internet is not for you and you should restrict yourself to a whitelist of LDS owned websites.

If you click a youtube link on this forum somewhere, you should really expect to see some kind of bad language in the comments, particularly an LDS/religion focused video as you know that the person who posted the link has no control over the comments and youtube do not monitor them. If the moderators removed every youtube link which has bad language in the comments, they might as well ban youtube links completely as the comments are constantly being added.

I'm not certain whether the item you want to link to is a video or just song lyrics..if it's song lyrics then the best source to copy/paste from would just be a Lyrics website which lists lyrics of songs by a particular artist, and which doesn't additionally have comments from people regarding those lyrics etc.

This is cut from the site rule link at the top of the page:

I'm not a legal eagle, but the way I understand it is that portions of copyrighted material generally may be used as long as you list the source. Personally, if I am quoting a portion of a news story, I will tell where it can be found and also try to provide a link to the story or website it came from. I would suggest that if you can't do that much without violating the rules of the site, then the most you can do is talk about it in general terms.

My understabnding of the reason you can't quote from the CHI is that it is both copyrighted and also not available for public use. Remember that sometimes the line is gray on what does or does not constitute a violation. We here will always try to allow what we think we can, but if we are ever contacted by a copyright holder demanding a removal of material, I think we would comply without quibbling too much about it.

Providing the media (whether it be a picture, text or video etc.) has a link to it's original location and/or crediting the author, the material being here is not used to make money for the owners of this website (which it isn't) and doesn't cause substantial financial loss to the copyright holder due to being published here, there is no real legal footing to have the content removed from this website.

As a moderator this is my take on it. If the video itself is appropriate then I say post it. I've seen many spiritual videos (even GA talks) where unfortunately the comments left are not ...how do I say this? Not quite so spiritual. Infact profanity abounds.

However, if the video itself is questionable, contains profanity etc...as JD mentioned earlier it will be deleted.

Technically that is a violation of copyright if you don't link it.

That's gonna be the case unless the person who posted/published the lyrics holds the copyright (or has permission from such)*. Of course I suppose in hypothetical linking to somebody violating copyright isn't you violating copyright.

* I'm thinking of the hypothetical, lyrics posted on another board I want to link to.