Hello, I am new to Mormonism and trying to define a new life

KatrinaC

My name is Katrina, and I am from Washington state.

I have just been through a very traumatic experience. My ex-boyfriend, who happens to belong to the LDS church recently broke up our year long serious relationship. I made a mistake by allowing my whole entire life to be revolved around him. I feel as if my life is gone. The pain that I am experiencing is tremendous. He introduced me to the church throughout our relationship, although he titles himself "a bad Mormon". Anyway, I did not give off many positive reactions to it, because it is so different. I grew up in a mostly christian family and went to church as a child. Through my teen years my family slipped away from church simply from lack of time and not being able to settle in a single church. I have been to Catholic churches, Presbyterian churches, Methodist churches, you name it. We are a christian family, but I am ready to move on by myself. I feel that all things happen for a reason, and perhaps the reason this whole relationship happened was to open me back up to God and to the Mormon church. I'll flat out say it, I hate my ex-boyfriend right now. But that isn't what I want to focus on. I want to focus on myself. I don't know much of anything about Mormonism, though I know some of the basics. Something just feels right. I have been to a YSA ward a few times and although it is so different for me and I feel like everything I do is wrong, I want to go back. All I have though about today is going to church tomorrow, by myself this time. I need help, I need guidance, and I need God. I hope that the Mormon church can do this for me, and I hope there will be people to help me understand the religion and find a place of refuge for me to get through my hard time. I love God, and I don't want to feel alone.

So this is me, right now, in a nutshell. Anything more would be that I am in a current process of defining myself and my own life, not living through someone else. I love to golf, I have a few good friends, I am going to school right now to become a nurse, I work a part time job, and I am starting to try out some new hobbies like sewing and baking.

So... I suppose this is where I begin. I hope that God and the church will help me renew myself and my life.

Welcome to the site!

I hope you find what you are looking for here. There are some really tremendous people here that will be more then willing to answer your questions.

I also wish you the best on pursuing a nursing degree.

Here are a couple sites that may be helpful to you: Mormon.org - Home and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints

Welcome to the site KatrinaC.

LDS.net is like a vending machine. Put in a question and an answer will pop out. No doubt you've got a lot of questions. So ask away. It's impossible for anyone here to guess how familiar you are with the LDS Church at this point, so it's up to you to try to give us a feel for where you're at.

God bless!

Faded

Hello Katrina,

If you live in a large city, ask your local Bishop if their is a Singles Ward in your area. The Singles Ward is geared toward young adults such as yourself.

Also, if there is a nearby University, there is also our church Institute Class (group). It will help you get to know some of the other students in the area.

You need friends in the Gospel right now, and although married couples can certainly help you - there is a special kinship within the tens of thousands of singles we have in the church.

Most of the large cities have a Deseret Book Store too. It is a remarkable environment to visit and browse the inspiring titles.

Maintain your hope. I know you are not looking for a replacement relationship right now, but there are many, many LDS who would like to share their "group time" with such an inspiring person such as you.

All my best,

Michael

http://www.lds.net/forums/picture.php?albumid=9&pictureid=78

(First LDS Romance Novel I read as a new convert)

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone, it means so much to me. The church that I have been to a few times is a single adults ward, and I feel like there are many people there that I could make friends with. However, that is also the church that my ex tends to go to when he decides to go to church...

I was lucky to be invited by a friend from work to go to his LDS congregation which I believe is a single adults ward as well.

The Church institute class sounds interesting as well, I will look into that as well as the book store, I have never heard of it. I live in the greater Seattle area so I assume I must be able to find something!

Thank you everyone!

EDIT: Wow! There happens to be one of those bookstores right across the street from my college! What a match, I will be sure to stop by there on Monday.

Welcome to the site KatrinaC.

LDS.net is like a vending machine. Put in a question and an answer will pop out. No doubt you've got a lot of questions. So ask away. It's impossible for anyone here to guess how familiar you are with the LDS Church at this point, so it's up to you to try to give us a feel for where you're at.

God bless!

Faded

Let's see... where am I at. Right now, what I have is a sense of belonging, community, love, and faith. The church feels right. I understand that the religion follows the belief of modern day prophets, which is hard for me, because I was not raised to believe this, but I have faith. I understand that there was a man named Joseph Smith, but I do not know anything more about him other than God came to him with gold plates. I am starting to understand that there is great significance in the Atonement of Jesus, and there is something more concerning a garden rather than the cross. I feel like there is a huge focus on purity and family.

I suppose I know a bit of scattered information about the religion, but I just feel strong about it. I wanted to talk about it with the missionaries that came to my house about a year ago and I set up a date for them to come back, but they never did... I really just need everything explained to me.

Mormon.org is a great site to go to you will find all your basic questions and deep doctrine when your ready. Just remember to pray when you read and ask Heavenly Father to guide you. Im sure its a tough time for you and you need to be around friends that support you emotionally and you will be on your way to a new life and a new begining. :) keep us informed

Katrina,

So glad you joined the site! I'm a convert as well and remember the 'just feels right' feeling that begins this glorious adventure. Dig in; don't be afraid to ask questions. Study, pray, and enjoy!

My son's a golfer too...well, not right now. He's a missionary for one more year.

I live in the greater Seattle area so I assume I must be able to find something!

Oh my gosh, that is great. Seattle is on my top 3 favorite cities! I'm not sure if you are near the University of Washington, but that waterfront campus boasts nearly 70,000 students - it's a great community of bright minds. If not, I am sure you will have many, many choices!

I have been to a few times is a single adults ward, and I feel like there are many people there that I could make friends with. However, that is also the church that my ex tends to go to when he decides to go to church....

The nice thing about Seattle is that there are plenty of single wards to choose from. Some buildings are designated for singles with three different wards meeting in the same building at different times.

And you are so fortunate to have a Deseret Book Store nearby. In fact, there may be more than one in Seattle.

Thank you for sharing,

Michael

Oh my gosh, that is great. Seattle is on my top 3 favorite cities! I'm not sure if you are near the University of Washington, but that waterfront campus boasts nearly 70,000 students - it's a great community of bright minds. If not, I am sure you will have many, many choices!The nice thing about Seattle is that there are plenty of single wards to choose from. Some buildings are designated for singles with three different wards meeting in the same building at different times.

And you are so fortunate to have a Deseret Book Store nearby. In fact, there may be more than one in Seattle.

Thank you for sharing,

Michael

Yes, actually I live about a 30 minute drive away from the University district of Seattle! I don't venture into Seattle too often, but that is wonderful. I already know of two singles wards that are conveniently close to me, and I have attended a few events. It's really wonderful.

My only concern right now is that when I do go, the people are so friendly, but I have such a hard time opening up and trying to make friends. There seems to be... cliques... and it is hard to fit in I feel sometimes. I'm sure I can get past this, but sometimes I feel judged and I really hope that I can get past this feeling.

Welcome!

I also just joined this site and am also in the Seattle area. Bothell to be exact.

I am a recent convert as I was just baptised on 11/22/08 and I totally understand a lot of the feelings you've mentioned.

Also, speaking of deseret book, I read a ton and could probably recommend some books from there that you might enjoy.

:)

I am starting to understand that there is great significance in the Atonement of Jesus, and there is something more concerning a garden rather than the cross.

You are right that the Atonement of Christ is central to the Gospel. It started at the garden, and ended at the cross, so both are equally important, as is the resurrection which is Christ's ultimate triumph over death. God bless you on your journey.

Welcome!

I also just joined this site and am also in the Seattle area. Bothell to be exact.

I am a recent convert as I was just baptised on 11/22/08 and I totally understand a lot of the feelings you've mentioned.

Also, speaking of deseret book, I read a ton and could probably recommend some books from there that you might enjoy.

That would be wonderful! Although I don't have too much time to read because of my schoolwork, I always love buying new books. I do love reading.

Hiya Katrina.. it is nice to meet you ..I am also new not only to this site but to the LDS church .. I might not be able to help with many questions like the others here but if I can be of some assistance to you in any way .. please feel free to ask :) Edited by Sailer92
My spelling is like a monkey with a typewriter ..

Thank you for the warm welcome everyone, it means so much to me. The church that I have been to a few times is a single adults ward, and I feel like there are many people there that I could make friends with. However, that is also the church that my ex tends to go to when he decides to go to church...

I was lucky to be invited by a friend from work to go to his LDS congregation which I believe is a single adults ward as well.

The Church institute class sounds interesting as well, I will look into that as well as the book store, I have never heard of it. I live in the greater Seattle area so I assume I must be able to find something!

Thank you everyone!

EDIT: Wow! There happens to be one of those bookstores right across the street from my college! What a match, I will be sure to stop by there on Monday.

I strongly suggest going to institute, I just started my first year of college last semester and I've made many friends there. It's a spiritual place and the institute teachers should be able to answer any and all of your questions.

Good luck and God bless.:)

Welcome to the site! I know how you feel about not fitting in. My situation is a little different. I'm 21 and have a daughter who is 3, and will be four in July. So if you haven't done the math I was a teen parent at 17! So when i converted. It was really hard for me to fit in with the kids my own age, but also hard to fit in with the "adults" but really, just take your time. Once you get to know everyone you'll warm up enough that pretty soon they will all feel like family!

Just don't lose faith. And take it one step at a time! You'll be great. And will be greatly blessed on this new journey!

Welcome to the site.

I'd say, make Christ the center of your life and the focus of your thoughts. Then your life will be one worth living, and you will find the peace and happiness you desire.

Tom

When I joined the church my mother said: "You are not my son anymore"

and my wife left me. I started to go to all activities that the church offered.

I was together with members nearly everyday and I found many new friends.

The church is the best place where you can go. The members are the best

people to talk to. You´ll find your way if you stay there. Good Luck!

Ciao

Roland

Let's see... where am I at. Right now, what I have is a sense of belonging, community, love, and faith. The church feels right. I understand that the religion follows the belief of modern day prophets, which is hard for me, because I was not raised to believe this, but I have faith. I understand that there was a man named Joseph Smith, but I do not know anything more about him other than God came to him with gold plates. I am starting to understand that there is great significance in the Atonement of Jesus, and there is something more concerning a garden rather than the cross. I feel like there is a huge focus on purity and family.

I suppose I know a bit of scattered information about the religion, but I just feel strong about it. I wanted to talk about it with the missionaries that came to my house about a year ago and I set up a date for them to come back, but they never did... I really just need everything explained to me.

The most important bit of advice I could possibly give you: Start with the basics and build from there. Getting in touch with the missionaries again may be the best way to establish the basics. Are there missionaries at the YSA ward you attend? If not then it should be a simple enough matter getting in touch with some. It's a rare thing to see missionaries miss opportunities, but sometimes an unforeseen series of mishaps leads to that happening.

The foundation of everything in the LDS Faith is based upon one simple question, "Did it come from God?" You can begin with the Book of Mormon and Joseph Smith. Either God the Father and Jesus Christ appeared to Joseph Smith or they did not. Either the angel of God directed Joseph Smith to find an ancient record of of God's people here in the American Continent, or he did not.

That record is the Book of Mormon. The had prophets and miracles. They fought wars against those who sought to destroy the people of God, and with the Lord strengthening them, they always prevailed. After his resurrection, Christ appeared to them in person and taught them. The legacy of this event can be found in the traditions of virtually every Native American tribe. The great white god appeared, taught them to live in peace, taught them great things. He left, promising to return. As far a I'm aware, there is a form of this tradition among every Native American tribe in existence. But the Book of Mormon does better: It has the actual written account of that event.

After hundreds of years of peace, ancient people of God in America fell into rebellion against God. The true believers that remained turned away from God and without His protection, they were wiped out by their enemies. The last survivors were also the last two prophets of God among them. Mormon and his son Moroni. Mormon knew all of this would happen and God had directed him to create a history of his people.

It was written on Gold Plates. Why? Because this was the way that the Nephites (the people of God) had learned to preserve records. Anything written on paper or leather would not survive. The record was hidden up for 1400 years. God, Mormon and Moroni all knew it would need to survive that long. There are certain properties of gold that make it the perfect material for the job. First, Gold can be made into thin sheets more easily than any other metal. Compared to other metals, it is much softer and easier to work with. Next, and most important, gold is incredibly good at retaining the shape you give it. It was the perfect material for the job. You can put an engraving in gold and that engraving will remain. The gold will not rust or corrode over time. It was the perfect material to hold up to the test of 1400 years of time. That is why Mormon would have used it for his record.

Look at me go ... sorry about that. I can go on and on about these things. The point is, Joseph Smith, the uneducated farm boy, translated the plates by the gift and power of God. So for that reason, the best test for knowing if Joseph Smith was a true prophet of God is quite simple. Read the Book of Mormon. Pray about it. If it is of God then Joseph Smith is a true prophet and this Church is Christ's True Church. Everything kinda falls into place from there.