Tips for keeping the critters out

GingerGolden

Hi, not sure if this has been mentioned here or not...

However, I thought maybe some may be interested in some natural means of keeping the critters out of the food storage.

If you place mint leaves or bay leaves on the shelves or areas that you keep your food storage in, they will help to keep mice, roaches and ants away, since they do not like such strong scents.

You will also need to replace these leaves after so long, once they begin to loose their pungency.

If you would rather work with essential oils, consider buying a spray bottle.

Depending upon its size you will add more water than essential oil of mints or bay and then spray to accommodate your needs.

There are other types of herbs that can be useful for keeping the critters at bay.

Peppermint and other mints.

Cinnamon and so on...

However, it is in your best interest that you do a bit of research on any herb that you may choose to use before using any herb.

Chemical products may be useful if you care to use those types of items, however as long as you or anyone who lives with you are not allergic to the herbs, they are more healthy for you as well as the earth we live on.

Please feel free to add your own of course, since we all need to know these things.

Aye Cap'n that little matey there of yore may be a great mouser!

* Unfortunately, I'm one of those matey's that are allergic to such critters.

I'd have to have along a handy dandy Dr. with his handy dandy needle and med's to make the hives & terrible itching disappear.

We have had a cat outside once long ago, a good mouser who taught all her litters how to be good mousers.

Unfortunately, now the cousins who live just a stones throw away where we live now enjoy bringing home every stray they find, unfortunately those are mostly great big dog's who usually don't let any cats stay around here for fear of becoming dinner themselves.

Therefore, for us/me, it is best to use the herbs.

But, I do agree you can't beat a good mouser!

~~~

If anyone's interested in finding more herbs you might try googling:

herbs + pest control

(Arrrrr, connection being interrupted again. * Kicks connection interrupter)

• 1 month later...
Guest Alana

Death to pantry moths! Ok, maybe not death, but I want them out of my house. Any ideas? I use the phermone traps and keep my food sealed, and it works pretty well. Problem is that they just fly in from outside and can survive on almost nothing, long enough to get into the cereal or find their way into my sealed food.

Grrr.

Death to pantry moths! Ok, maybe not death, but I want them out of my house. Any ideas? I use the phermone traps and keep my food sealed, and it works pretty well. Problem is that they just fly in from outside and can survive on almost nothing, long enough to get into the cereal or find their way into my sealed food.

Grrr.

My first thought was lavender, but I wanted to check to make sure...

So, here are some links that offer other ideas as well, such as cedar, mint, cloves and so on.

Actually, we should all have some lavender oil on hand as it is one of the best remedies for burns and works very quickly to heal. That is how it was discovered as a burn balm, since a chemist burnt himself with chemicals and had a vessel of lavender oil in the room with him, he stuck his hand into the lavender oil after being chemically burned, which should have taken a long time to heal and scarring. But when he put his hands in the lavender oil they healed rather quickly without the long process of pain or any scars. (that is my gingerized condensation of the story, you can search for it online)

Lavender oil is also said to cure old scars, which includes alot of things, even stretch marks from pregnancy. Woot!

When you are searching for herbs for getting rid of any type of pest you may type something along these lines into your search engine text box.

Herbs + rid mice

Herbs + rid ants

Herbs + rid moths

If you are in search of herbs for healing purposes, type something like this into your search engine text box.

Herbs + healing properties

Herbs + healing colds

Herbs + healing sore throat

Herbs + healing PMS

Herbs + curing baldness

...and so on...

Right now, nearly every thing we have is in storage, including the HerbMaster CD, which has a lot of old tyme herbal remedies for just about any condition you can consider. I had it installed on my old desk top, but not on this new laptop. As soon as I find the CD I will install it on this computer, because it is very helpful. I'm not sure if they still sell this CD, but you can do an online search for it and may be able to find it at some type of discontinued price list (not sure, but it is worth the money that is paid for it.)

The other day, I got so aggravated with the mice, especially after watching a rat the size of my foot go dancing across the kitchen floor as few times, I went for the chili seasoning and poured some in that in the cabinet it was visiting, so far, I haven't seen it back again, but those things don't give up so easy so we'll see. I wish I could have a cat inside or even outside.

Everything is now, either in glass or plastic containers and taking up room in the extra frig, just to keep them out of the food.

BTW, the pheromone traps may just be calling them inside your house. Kinda like when you put out mouse bait, it only feeds them and more come since they can smell it in the house.

Edited by GingerGolden
what can I say, I'm forgetful sometimes and need to add or fix things...

Guest Alana

The moths do congregate on the screen by where I keep the pheremone trap, but they can't get in that side of the house. The moths seem to just be very prevalent in the area. If we forget to turn off the porch light, in the morning there are literally dozens of moths glued to the wall, and a few of them are always pantry moths. The main problem with my kitchen is that it is old, the wood the cabnets and shelves are made out of are very holey and rough, like unfinished wood. Millions of places for them to lay eggs. I'm going to do the BAY LEAF THING. Just put them everywhere. Can't hurt anything, right?

• 1 year later...

GLASS, CANS and clean the toaster crumbs.....don't give them anything to eat! Plastic if you must, but lids not reliable and then there are those toxins. I have used bay leaves for years and here in florida have we got BUGS...big bugs....ugly bugs..............yuk snakes and scorpions too....where did i move to???

Another good product for storage is

FOSSIL SHELL FLOUR DIATOMACEOUS EARTH

USED FOR FOOD AND GRAIN STORAGE

di earth - Google Search

Mother Nature supplied the solution to those problems millions of years ago. Diatomaceous Earth (DE). It can be used effectively, as a pesticide on and around livestock, and in grain storage. It eliminates everything but the grain. In an outside environment, it's totally harmless to everyone and everything with less than six legs.

Kansas State University in conjunction with the Department of Agriculture ran test after test on diatomaceous earth protecting grain. Grain that was put up in 1976, treated one time only with DE, that grain is as fresh and clean as it can be. Grain gets stale and gets a musty smell, but not with diatomaceous earth on it. It has been said that diatomaceous earth, when you grind wheat into flour, you need not remove it because it is not considered to be foreign material and actually it adds 14 trace minerals to your bread. When fossil shell flour DE is incorporated into bread it yields no change in flavor or texture. Controls insects in wheat, rice, sorghum, oats, rye, barley, corn and seeds of all kinds. Controls rice weevils, lesser grain bobers, flat grain beetles, red flour beetles, confused flour beetles, merchant grain beetles, saw-toothed grain beetles, granary weevils, larvae of the Indian meal moth, etc.

• 2 months later...

About Diatomaceous earth...

In additon to the very helpful info already posted, I wanted to point out that the benefits of (food grade - don't buy from pool supply or hardware store!) D.E to the human body are too numerous to count. Please google it or see earthworkshealth.com. It's also good for pets and will kill any parasites in them, or you.