Missionary letters

firehotemily

Okay i have a friend that's going to go serve a mission in Texas, and i really would like to write to him. I told my friend that i was going to write to him like atleast once or twice a month, my friend said "emily, Jarod needs to concentrate on what the Lord wants him to do, not on girls" and i was hurt by this. Jarod has been my friend for over 2 years now and i wanted to write to him. My friend said to ask my bissop on how often i can write to him.

just wondering, how often can i send my friend Jarod a letter? or is there rules or something about writing him letters? i'm so confuzzled.

how often do you think i should send him a letter?

Guest Lexish

Hey! If there is one thing missionaries really appreciate, it is a good friend writing to them. Yes, it is great to hear from family, but any 19-21 year old knows that friends are often just as important.

Personal experience: I am currently writing to a missionary, and have written one letter every week. A lot of people are surprised by this, but he and I both agreed that it would be best to keep in touch and to stay close friends. Writing to a missionary will give you a chance to learn a lot about the gospel, how it touches people's lives, and about the missionary. You can support him in a special way that no one else can by telling him that you are proud of what he is doing, and sending notes of encouragement.

It is true that you shouldn't start writing frivolous things -- that is too much. Otherwise, there is no limit or rule about how often you can write your friend a letter. It is up to you. You may want to talk to him about it, just to see if he has an idea of what may be "excessive". Writing should be a natural follow up, so don't write too much if you don't want to , but also don't wait for months on end to get back to him.

I guess my philosophy is this. Missionaries only have so much contact with the people from home, and so they treasure every letter. If you end up writing every week, every couple weeks, or every other month, he will appreciate it.

What missionaries do not need is a girl writing how much they love them and how they miss them. What missionaries do like is girls writing telling them what they are doing with their lives, what is going on in the ward and home stake and keeping them up on things. Share a favorite scripture, he will share missionary experiences and you will both grow in love of his service and love of the Lord. That is what friends do.

I had a girl who was like a sister to me and she wrote me most of my mission. At one point her mother told the bishop she was writing me and he told her to stop. I didn't know what I had done for her to stop writing me. This was near my mission.

Be friends and write.

There is nothing in the missionary handbook about who or what you can write, as a missionary, only when. On Preparation day.

Ben Raines

Guest Lexish

Heh, sorry, that probably wasn't the best word choice. Frivolous just means something that doesn't have any real substance or value. So, don't start writing about what you had for breakfast :P Also, I want to second what Ben said. I don't know what your relationship with this friend of yours is like, but try not to make him miss home. Lots of "I miss you!"s won't do him much good. Just saying.

Guest missingsomething

A suggestion that I did: I always put this rule in place... would i mind if his mission president read this.... I would go over the letter with that thought. It kept my letters on track. Also, upbeat things are great - care packages are better - and friendships are best.

If you are doing this to stay in touch, to support, uplift and inspire him - go for it.

Once or even twice a month is totally fine. As long as you (as previously stated here) don't write things that might be distracting, there's no reason that would be inappropriate.

Frivolous

1 a: of little weight or importance b: having no sound basis (as in fact or law) <a frivolous lawsuit>

2 a: lacking in seriousness b: marked by unbecoming levity

• 1 month later...

I would definately write your friend who is now a missionary. I have a friend who is a missionary now and has been out for 3 months people sometimes criticize me for writing him but I know that he enjoys it and if I wasn't writing him he would be worried. Also, if you have a facebook you should join the group waiting for a missionary they have soo many ideas for packages and things.

Okay i have a friend that's going to go serve a mission in Texas, and i really would like to write to him. I told my friend that i was going to write to him like atleast once or twice a month, my friend said "emily, Jarod needs to concentrate on what the Lord wants him to do, not on girls" and i was hurt by this. Jarod has been my friend for over 2 years now and i wanted to write to him. My friend said to ask my bissop on how often i can write to him.

just wondering, how often can i send my friend Jarod a letter? or is there rules or something about writing him letters? i'm so confuzzled.

He will have an e-mail account while attending MTC. I have a son who is still currently serving and correspond minimal at least once a week.

I am shocked that someone would discourage you from writing to a missionary and from depriving a missionary the support that letters can give. Receiving letters is wonderful, keeping them connected to family and friends. I know when my nephews were on their missions, family was allowed to email. I know they really appreciated all the communications they got.

Make sure your care packages and letters aren't dripping with purfume! (BTW, I sent letters home to my girlfriend with Hugo Boss cologne, but she wasn't about to return the favor!)

Don't have "mushy" letters. Don't have "problem" letters. Meaning: if you have problems at home, it might feel like letter-writing is a good therapy for YOU, but it doesn't help the person you're writing TO. Remember that men are programmed to be "problem-solvers" and they can't help you solve your problems while they're in the mission field. So don't even ask them to listen/read them. Keep your problems at home and don't send them to your missionary.

Keep your gifts spiritual and necessary. Meaning don't sent an 8x10 glossy framed photo of yourself from GlamourShots. (Note: my girlfriend did that on Valentine's day right before I came home. We're married now, but that was certainly a distraction for a couple of days!)

• 6 months later...

I believe you've been given great advice already, the idea behind http://www.supportmymissionary.com was drawn from that very question. What can I do to "support my missionary" It's obvious you care about your friend, therefore the best thing you can do is help him (or her) be a better missionary. Help him serve with all his "heart, might, mind and strength" as the scriptured describe. Let the spirit tell you and him what that means. You will know when you are writing something that doesn't lead you both closer to our Savior.

What bugs me about this, aside from the obvious misundersanding of who should write a misionary, is how your friend tells you to run to the bishop and ask for permission and perameters. UGH! Don't you think the bishop is a little busy? And can't we think for ourselves on occasion? What happened to common sense? Did it die in the war? Did I miss the headlines??

• 3 months later...

What missionaries do not need is a girl writing how much they love them and how they miss them. What missionaries do like is girls writing telling them what they are doing with their lives, what is going on in the ward and home stake and keeping them up on things. Share a favorite scripture, he will share missionary experiences and you will both grow in love of his service and love of the Lord. That is what friends do.

I had a girl who was like a sister to me and she wrote me most of my mission. At one point her mother told the bishop she was writing me and he told her to stop. I didn't know what I had done for her to stop writing me. This was near my mission.

Be friends and write.

There is nothing in the missionary handbook about who or what you can write, as a missionary, only when. On Preparation day.

Ben Raines

Awww, that's sad! No disrespect to a bishop, but if it were my friend, I would have kept writing anyway, lol. Especially since its not what the bishop thinks...

As everyone says, I wouldn't be talking about romance or "missing him" in the letters, because eventually, I would run out of things to say, or just be saying the same words over and over again. Also, he himself might cut me off, if he feels I'm making his time away too painful for him.

I would just ask him to share more of the amazing things he is seeing and learning out there. Ask him how he is changing, growing, learning... I've lived in a foreign country for 4 years (Army brat), and its amazing the changes it makes in you, and how fast you mature. I would be very intereted in watching those changes come about with a good friend of mine. That way, when he came home, it wouldn't be like he was a complete stranger, because I would have been up to date on his growth the whole time. To heck with what other people think, lol.

Edited by Melissa569

Actually, Page 29-30 (Copy Right 2006 version):

Do not telephone, write, email or accept calls or letters from anyone of the opposite sex living within or near mission boundries. The only exceptions are for communications between sister missionaries and their mission leaders, mission-related telephone calls (such as calls to confirm appointments), and letters of support and encouragement to converts.

None of it is applicable as letters from outside the (or at least not near) the mission boundaries aren't included. You can pretty much ignore this, it's just the pedant in me popping up.

Edited by Dravin