Cross and the Switchblade's David Wilkerson and food storage

David Wilkerson started the Times Square Church in NYC in 1958, to minister to drug dealers and gang members. He wrote about his experience in the Cross and the Switchblade (I read it in the mid 1970s - awesome story).

Anyway, he has a blog wherein he writes that he's concerned about future destructions, and has stored a month's supply of food storage!

Is it that the Spirit is beginning to whisper to the rest of the world, what Mormon prophets have been teaching us for over a century? I hope so.

I doubt it has nothing to do with the spirit. It has to do with the occasional person and group waking up and taking stock of reality.

It's a hard thing for America to take itself out of it's present culture of immediate satisfaction to the most minor taste or food craving. But when you do, and you start looking at the history of the world, you realize that tough times are really not that uncommon, and preparation makes sense.

I suppose the spirit might be at work somewhere, but I'm betting it's more along the lines of some folks using the grey matter God gave them.

LM

I doubt it has nothing to do with the spirit. It has to do with the occasional person and group waking up and taking stock of reality.

LM

I concur. The most prepared people I know are conspiracy theorist who have little or no belief in God whatsoever. I doubt the spirit would tell them to "get ready for the race war"

Ram, I would like to think it is the Spirit reaching out to others now throughout the world. But in reality, I think with the state of the economy, the state of our country and the state of our world....many are starting to think logically about their own preparations.

Sounds like a great book. Alas, another book to add to my endless "must read" list.

What I find funny, is how the Christian world rejects the concepts of modern revelation and modern prophets so vehemently, and yet this guy, and Patt Robertson come out with their "Prophecies" of what is to come. If the Christian world which violently criticizes Joseph Smith for receiving extra-biblical revelations from God, shouldn't they react the same to their own ministers who prophecy of calamities like Wilkerson?

From his blog:

I am compelled by the Holy Spirit to send out an urgent message to all on our mailing list, and to friends and to bishops we have met all over the world.

AN EARTH-SHATTERING CALAMITY IS ABOUT TO HAPPEN. IT IS GOING TO BE SO FRIGHTENING, WE ARE ALL GOING TO TREMBLE - EVEN THE GODLIEST AMONG US....

And in his latest entry:

I can only answer by sharing what the Holy Spirit is speaking to my own heart and what I am to do. I shared that I was led in a practical way to lay aside a month’s supply of food — because I have witnessed the panic in the wake of terrorism. That has to be a personal word for every individual.

This is what I hear the Holy Spirit speaking to my heart concerning my own spiritual response to impending calamity. It is simply this —STAND STILL AND SEE THE SALVATION OF THE LORD.

Sounds like direct revelation to me.

Edited by captmoroniRM
Added on another quote and some stylistic changes

I believe that the Lord works through people of all faiths, when they listen to him. Alma 29:8 states that God gives a portion of his truth/word to every nation, tongue and people, as they are prepared to receive it.

Many have not been ready to receive it prior to this time, and so are only now receiving it, as turmoil turns their focus on how the scriptures and Lord teach them about what is happening NOW.

I do not consider it the same as whacko conspiracy theorists. They do not seek the Spirit, per se, in determining truth and light.

I'm not denying that the Lord works through peoples of all faiths. I was simply commenting on how christianity so fervently rejects Joseph Smith as a prophet of God, under the pretense that modern revelation has ceased, and not reject additional "prophets" who claim to prophecy in the Lord's name.

As for whacko conspiracy theorists, we aren't all totally whacko.