The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way

I was wondering what people think about being LDS and living a financially abundant life?

I have recently written a book titled The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way. Although I am LDS I didn't write it strictly from an LDS perspective. I wrote it in a style that would appeal to ALL Christians...but you will see some definite "common beliefs" in what I have shared if you are LDS too (like I imagine you are if you are on this forum).

I am giving my book away for FREE to anyone who'd like to read it. You can get it for FREE at The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way

I'd like to talk about abundant living, what you might consider to be an abundant life as an active member of the Church, and what you feel is a good use and/or a poor use for riches.

I also thought I'd share the "preface" to my book with you here. I felt inspired to write it and I'd love your feedback!

----------------------

Preface to The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way - Are you honest in heart and do you need direction and help in your life?

If this describes you then you are the type of person we are looking to help. This book was written with you in mind. It is meant to be a tool you can use to create the type of life that is really worth living.

God wants all of His children to live happy, productive, prosperous lives. He wants us to develop our talents and abilities, serve others, and to experience true joy.

This book was written because God has blessed my life and because I think credit should be given where credit is due!

God has placed a lot of good books, people, teachings, and experiences in my path so that I could learn how to co-create with Him, an amazing life! Over time I have internalized and applied this information and it has born good fruit in my life.

Much of what I have written in this book has its origins in scripture and also from a book written over 100 years ago by a man named Wallace Wattles. That book is titled The Science of Getting Rich. What I have done is take that material and given it more of a Christian twist and perspective. I believe Mr. Wattles was a Christian, but he wrote the book from a perspective that was more scientific.

Over the last few years a lot has come out concerning The Law of Attraction. The work that has made the biggest splash is a book and movie both titled The Secret. The Secret also has its origins in the book The Science of Getting Rich. The Secret teaches the Law of Attraction in more of a metaphysical new age sort of way. I think that book and movie have a lot of value, accept it really doesn't explain very well that God, our Father in Heaven, is the true source of power behind how the universe operates.

What I am sharing with you in The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way is a clear version of how things really work. In fact I could have given my book the title How To Create The Life You Really Want Using God's Help and that would have been very appropriate.

I believe it is time for people who believe in God to become more prosperous. I honestly think that God can do more good with a prosperous, happy, trusting, faithful person to further His causes here on earth, than He can with a person who is only concerned about their personal day to day struggles for survival. Besides, that Laws that Govern the acquisition of money and things are just as much God's Laws as the Law of Gravity is. When we break either Law we suffer the consequences. When we obey either Law life is a lot better!

We are living in a time when there is a lot of uncertainty in the world we live in. The economy in the United States where I live, as well as in other countries, has deteriorated. This has happened because people have broken God's Laws that relate to living a financially prosperous life. Some have done it on purpose, but most have done it in ignorance. Unfortunately like disobeying the Law of Gravity, the consequences have been disastrous!

Here is the good news:

You can co-create with God a very happy, peaceful, financially prosperous life, in this economy as well as in any other economy!

When you learn HOW to obey God's Laws that create financial abundance, you will likely do so. You just need an explanation of what these Laws are and how you are supposed to follow them, and I believe the chances are great that as you practice doing so, you will see the results you are seeking. Most people just aren't aware of what the Laws are and how they are supposed to be followed.

I have more good news:

Once you start to obey these Laws as God would have you obey them, positive changes tend to come VERY RAPIDLY!

It is my hope that you will read this book and become part of a growing community of people who are devoted to God, who are creating great financial abundance, so they can better serve their families as well as “their neighbors.” As you do this you will please God and become a greater instrument for good. This will happen because you will have more resources to work with. Keep your heart and mind single to His glory, and let Him be your guide. Most of all, trust that He will lead you in obtaining your righteous desires “GOD's Way.”

Sincerely, Kevin Sparks – Author of The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way

"When the young man heard that saying," so runs the record, "he went away sorrowful; for he had great possessions." Observing which, Jesus commented: "Verily, I say unto you, it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle, than for a rich man to enter the kingdom of God." (Matt. 19:16-24.)

This is how Jesus reassured his disciples: "With men this [i. e., a rich man's entering the kingdom] is impossible; but with God, all things are possible." Whence we conclude that riches are not in themselves a bar to eternal life: that were God living the earth-life, he could successfully do both,—be a rich man and also enter the kingdom; i. e., win out in the domain of the natural world, and also be daily guided by the Holy Ghost—which is the meaning of winning out in the spiritual world. To the extent, therefore, that man can be guided by the mind and will of God, to that extent he also can succeed in acquiring both forms of riches.

Let us, then, enter reverently upon the question of how a man may win riches and at the same time not forfeit eternal life.

Edited by Hemidakota

I am grateful for the discussion.

Yes...seek the Kingdom 1st...and then use your abundance to help others...including yourself and your family!

Question? How much do you feel is enough and what do you think about wealthy members of the Church like Marriot and Huntsman?

Do a goggle search of "prosperity gospel," and you will find tons of discussion on this issue. At its most extreme, judgment could be made against non-prosperious members, since they obviously did not have much faith, or they would be prosperious. The crucial error in much such teaching (not necessarily the OP) is in claiming God's riches based on some prooftexts, rather than indeed seeking God's face and garnering his approval for that which we seek. If God says yes, then, by faith, walk in the promised blessing, believing it is so even before it comes to pass. But, be aware that God may say "Wait." He might even say "No." (Gasp!)

On the other hand, sad-sack Christianity is not attractive at all. Prosperity teaching can be a wonderful corrective to the false humility and passive fatalism that often gets passed off as "cross-carrying" Christianity.

Most of us already have a copy of the Book of Mormon:) if not contact the missionaries you can get a free copy, follow these and you become prosperous on what you have

Mosiah 2: 22, 31, 36

22 And behold, all that he requires of you is to keep his commandments; and he has promised you that if ye would keep his commandments ye should prosper in the land; and he never doth vary from that which he hath said; therefore, if ye do keep his commandments he doth bless you and prosper you.

• • •

31 And now, my brethren, I would that ye should do as ye have hitherto done. As ye have kept my commandments, and also the commandments of my father, and have prospered, and have been kept from falling into the hands of your enemies, even so if ye shall keep the commandments of my son, or the commandments of God which shall be delivered unto you by him, ye shall prosper in the land, and your enemies shall have no power over you.

• • •

36 And now, I say unto you, my brethren, that after ye have known and have been taught all these things, if ye should transgress and go contrary to that which has been spoken, that ye do bwithdraw yourselves from the Spirit of the Lord, that it may have no place in you to guide you in wisdom’s paths that ye may be blessed, prospered, and preserved—

-------------------------------------------

#

Jacob 2: 18-19

18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to ado good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

#

Mosiah 29: 40

40 And they did wax strong in love towards Mosiah; yea, they did esteem him more than any other man; for they did not look upon him as a tyrant who was seeking for gain, yea, for that lucre which doth ccorrupt the soul; for he had not exacted riches of them, neither had he delighted in the shedding of blood; but he had established peace in the land, and he had granted unto his people that they should be delivered from all manner of bondage; therefore they did esteem him, yea, exceedingly, beyond measure.

#

Alma 39: 14

14 Seek not after riches nor the vain things of this world; for behold, you cannot carry them with you.

Edited by Elgama

I am grateful for the discussion.

Yes...seek the Kingdom 1st...and then use your abundance to help others...including yourself and your family!

Question? How much do you feel is enough and what do you think about wealthy members of the Church like Marriot and Huntsman?

What is "enough" is relative. I think this talk says it adequately:

LDS.org - Ensign Article - “Beware Lest Thou Forget the Lordâ€

I think those who question the morality of getting rich are completely missing the point. The point the scriptures and the prophets try to make is to watch your heart. It is where your heart is that matters, and whether your heart is in the right place enough to the extent that you are also spending time with your family and taking care of those priesthood responsibilities. The danger in getting rich is that there is great temptation for pride and spiritual laziness.

As far as wealth goes, I believe it is a good thing in a temporal way, having wealth gives us the power to act and not be acted upon. Its a good thing to be able to take care of our families, and ourselves. We may also seek riches that we may do good for others, as taught in the Book of Mormon.

However, I do not believe it would be correct for me to judge Marriot simply based on his wealth in any sense of the word judge. I do not know anything about the man.

"Pride is a sin that can readily be seen in others but is rarely admitted in ourselves. Most of us consider pride to be a sin of those on the top, such as the rich and the learned, looking down at the rest of us. (See 2 Ne. 9:42.) There is, however, a far more common ailment among us—and that is pride from the bottom looking up. It is manifest in so many ways, such as faultfinding, gossiping, backbiting, murmuring, living beyond our means, envying, coveting, withholding gratitude and praise that might lift another, and being unforgiving and jealous."

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Beware of Pride

I try to remember that that applies when considering men like Marriot. I think its cool that he's made the money he has. Kudos.

Edited by MikeUpton

I want to pose a question. Can a person be trying to live a righteous life but struggle because of ignorance?

"20 There is a law, irrevocably decreed in heaven before the foundations of this world, upon which all cblessings are predicated—

21 And when we obtain any ablessing from God, it is by bobedience to that law upon which it is predicated. - D&C 130:20-21"

I think we often struggle needlessly because we aren't obey "laws" that govern what we are trying to accomplish. I try to help people sort this out in my book.

Do a goggle search of "prosperity gospel," and you will find tons of discussion on this issue. At its most extreme, judgment could be made against non-prosperous members, since they obviously did not have much faith, or they would be prosperous.

Sometimes it even involves saying that the "less prosperous" were less valiant in the pre-existence, but I suppose you have run into that before.

I have seen people who are 'comfortably off' behave with a callous attitude to those who struggle. I have heard a local church leader, a lawyer, who lives in nice big house with an expensive car 'encourage' members to attend the temple more often (when their lack of attendance boils down to the simple fact of not being able to afford to get there) and tell them they will be blessed if they sacrifice luxuries in order to afford the transport - luxuries like paying their rent or feeding their children? I have heard local church leaders say they cannot understand why parents do not send their teenage children to church activities costing £200 - £300 each when they are sure these same parents pay more than that for school trips. When in actual fact those parents (with 2 3 4 teenagers) don't even have an annual family holiday let alone pay for expensive school trips.

I have seen people looked down on for not wearing their 'Sunday best' to church when in actual fact the threadbare clothes WERE the best they had.

It isn't having money which is the sin. It is the attitude which some people with plenty of money have towards those who have little. We are not told that money is the root of all evil, but hat the LOVE of money is the thing which causes the problems. If we are mean and miserly we are sinful. If we are greedy we are sinful. If we feel we are better than others who have less we are sinful. But if we use our abundance to bless others and we love everyone regardless of their circumstance, if we help instead of criticising and use our wealth for the good of others then I don't believe we are sinners.

I have a question that fits in with this discussion.

I would like to know your thoughts and opinions about why Jesus turned water into wine at a wedding. Not only did he produce wine (I am assuming it wasn't the alchoholic kind) but His wine was even better than the wine originally provided for the guests.

Why did Jesus do this? Why did He provide the best when He did? It seems that Jesus provided a luxury.

I think God wants the best for us and He wants us to be happy. I think Jesus did it "because He could". I think we struggle because we aren't obeying certain Laws that God has put in place from the foundation of the world.

I also believe there is a "creative" way and a "competitive" way to make money. The creative way "builds up" and the comptetitive way "tears down". The creative way is done with thoughts of "there is more than enough for all" and the competitive way feels "the supply is limited" and "if I want more someone else must get less".

I think the pride and selfishness surrounding money comes from a false belief that the supply of wealth is limited. I also think it comes from people who believe "they are the soul creators of their wealth." The truth is that money is just a form of "matter organized" like any other tangible item...and there is no limit to the original supply; "matter unorganized."

Whether we deal with "riches" personally in this world, or in the world to come, we are still going to have to deal with the thoughts we harbor around the subject of "riches" BEFORE we "receive all that God has for us." "As A Man Thinketh In His Heart So Is He." If we think God-like thoughts we become God-like, and our actions are a reflection of those thoughts.

Is anybody willing to share stories of "rich" members who have done good things with their money?

I know of a wealthy member in my area (I don't know who it is by name) who bought a piece of property, that the Church was trying to acquire for a Chapel...but the Church was having difficulty getting the original owner to sell it to the Church, and the wealthy member donated it to the Church.

I know that Martin Harris gave the money needed to publish The Book of Mormon.

I know years ago, when my family faced financial struggles, that an "unkown member" gave us the money for Christmas. I don't know if this was "surplus" or "sacrifice" for them. All I know is that it was a blessing to us. I also know that you can't give what you don't have to give.

I think a unit works best with a mix of wealthy and poor members and people in between. Its lovely to get a card or letter from someone but a bunch of flowers is special - not everyone can do it.

In a unit I lived in a freezer was ready with food because a member was able to house it, as a student I was fed well etc

-Charley

You know what...maybe it is because I was blessed financially...from the gifts of others...that I have wanted to be able to do the same? I think these people started a good pattern, with me, without that being their intention. They never gave saying, "You have to do the same for someone else." but that is what I have wanted to do. Because of "asking" I have "received"...because of "seeking" I have "found", that there is a right way and wrong way to acquire money and things. I think many members avoid trying because of some mistaken belief that having more than enough for their personal needs is wrong. Some people think it's the other person's responsibility but not mine, to have more than enough to give to others. They are happy saying, "I would give if I had to give but since I don't have to give that's good enough". We only get what we want from life. God is here to support us in our righteous desires.

I think there is a difference between what we want and what we need - I am comfortable and blessed when I am housed, fed and clothed - anything extra is for me comfort. I have been blessed with a house with cheap rent and enough to run a car, feed my children etc really what more do we need?

I can manage very well and furnish a house with seondhand good often they are better quality and better value anyway, I can buy secondhand clothes for myself, budget my food etc You learn an awful lot more skills when you have fewer pennies each one I am greatful for.

What else does life need beyond, food and rainment for the body, spirit and mind?

-Charley

I want to pose a question. Can a person be trying to live a righteous life but struggle because of ignorance?

struggle with riches? I think so. I think that's a large part of the reason for this scripture:

Seek not for riches but for wisdom; and, behold, the mysteries of God shall be unfolded unto you, and then shall you be made rich. Behold, he that hath eternal life is rich.

Doctrine and Covenants 11

An example of this in the Old Testament:

5 ¶ In Gibeon the Lord appeared to Solomon in a dream by night: and God said, Ask what I shall give thee.

6 And Solomon said, Thou hast shewed unto thy servant David my father great mercy, according as he walked before thee in truth, and in righteousness, and in uprightness of heart with thee; and thou hast kept for him this great kindness, that thou hast given him a son to sit on his throne, as it is this day.

7 And now, O Lord my God, thou hast made thy servant king instead of David my father: and I am but a little child: I know not how to go out or come in.

8 And thy servant is in the midst of thy people which thou hast chosen, a great people, that cannot be numbered nor counted for multitude.

9 Give therefore thy servant an understanding heart to judge thy people, that I may discern between good and bad: for who is able to judge this thy so great a people?

10 And the speech pleased the Lord, that Solomon had asked this thing.

11 And God said unto him, Because thou hast asked this thing, and hast not asked for thyself long life; neither hast asked riches for thyself, nor hast asked the life of thine enemies; but hast asked for thyself understanding to discern judgment;

12 Behold, I have done according to thy words: lo, I have given thee a wise and an understanding heart; so that there was none like thee before thee, neither after thee shall any arise like unto thee.

13 And I have also given thee that which thou hast not asked, both riches, and honour: so that there shall not be any among the kings like unto thee all thy days.

My thoughts? It makes sense that one must seek wisdom and competence, before you can hope to gain riches, otherwise you will not know how to get them, or how to keep them once you have them. People always want riches, but often forget it is important to learn and adhere to the principles of wealth before they can become rich.

1 Kings 3

I'm interested in reading your book and seeing what you have to say.

The Lord told Joseph Smith that he would not prosper monetarily, but in spiritual things. His life bears this out, as he died with about $250K debt (mostly Church debt, worth millions of dollars in today).

While there is nothing wrong with being rich, we must consider wealth as much of a burden as poverty. God has expectations of the wealthy (see rich man and Lazarus), telling us that where "much is given, much is expected."

What are riches for? The Book of Mormon tells us that they are only good for assisting the poor and needy. Any other use is potentially destructive to our souls.

Consider Huntsman and Marriott. Huntsman donated hundreds of millions to the UofU hospital for cancer research. He has his personal jet on standby for the First Presidency, anytime they need to fly somewhere. Meanwhile, Marriott still serves as an area authority. When our stake was divided, Elder Marriott provided a large conference room in the Indianapolis Marriott Center for the members to meet together - at his own cost.

They use their wealth to help move forth God's kingdom. As for how much is enough to donate, I think CS Lewis put it best when he said, "when you've donated enough to start hurting, then you've given enough."

Very true! I don't know that everyone should want to be like Marriot. I am just asking who decides if it is something they should do or not?

BTW...does a persons environment determine what's rich and what's poor?

Is it wrong for a good swimmer, who wants to be a great swimmer, to shoot for the olympics?

Is it wrong for a good piano player, who wants to be a great piano player, to shoot for playing at a famous venue some day?

It's seems we have some great singers in the Tabernacle Choir. Were they born that way or did they work at it?

How about business people and entrepreneurs? Is it wrong for them to strive to be thier best too?

Who is supposed to decide all of this? How much is it God's choice and how much is it our choice? Is God happy when we put a lot of time and energy into doing something we feel a strong desire to do?