The Science of Getting Rich GOD's Way

Very true! I don't know that everyone should want to be like Marriot. I am just asking who decides if it is something they should do or not?

We decide for ourselves. God decides,if He wishes for us to be prosperous in money, then we will be. If He doesn't, then we won't be.

BTW...does a persons environment determine what's rich and what's poor?

Our environment is the deciding factor that determines what is rich and what is poor. In some places, having a roof that leaks makes you rich.

Is it wrong for a good swimmer, who wants to be a great swimmer, to shoot for the olympics?

At what cost? the spoiling of their body, and destroying hopes for prosperity outside of swimming?

Is it wrong for a good piano player, who wants to be a great piano player, to shoot for playing at a famous venue some day?

Starting to see the building of a straw man here,

It's seems we have some great singers in the Tabernacle Choir. Were they born that way or did they work at it?

See previous comment.

How about business people and entrepreneurs? Is it wrong for them to strive to be thier best too?

See previous comment.

Who is supposed to decide all of this? How much is it God's choice and how much is it our choice? Is God happy when we put a lot of time and energy into doing something we feel a strong desire to do?

God knows everything. If by knowing,He has chosen our fate, well that's a whole new debate. God knows what is best for us. Does God want us to become prosperous, and work hard at prosperity, at the sacrifice of our Salvation? How can we be sure that our charitable desires for riches will not turn against us, to greed?

Very true! I don't know that everyone should want to be like Marriot. I am just asking who decides if it is something they should do or not?

no a persons attitude to life determines rich and what is poor in my opinion if the Lord is by your side and your vision in life you will learn to be satisfied with the stage you are at, grow at his pace and every stage will be rich.

Is it wrong for a good swimmer, who wants to be a great swimmer, to shoot for the olympics?

Is it wrong for a good piano player, who wants to be a great piano player, to shoot for playing at a famous venue some day?

what is the point if you are miserable? if you are not faithful, happy and at peace at each step of the way then yes you are poor not rich..... if you are have faith and happiness then the Lord will guide you through the right path

It's seems we have some great singers in the Tabernacle Choir. Were they born that way or did they work at it?•••••••u

both, I can work really hard and have a great desire to join but I doubt the Tabernacle Choir would take me, it would be pointless starting down the route I lack talent

How about business people and entrepreneurs? Is it wrong for them to strive to be thier best too?

if it comes at the expense of the family, happiness and their relationship with God what do you think? if it doesn't what do you think?

Who is supposed to decide all of this? How much is it God's choice and how much is it our choice? Is God happy when we put a lot of time and energy into doing something we feel a strong desire to do?

Like the Book of Mormon teaches, if we put the kingdom of God first we will prosper, we will receive what we need to reach our full potential in life if that is financial then that is financial. personally I wanted to be a forensic anthropologist but illness took that dream away from me at 21 - my choices were to blame God and mourn and gnash my teeth or put my faith in the Lord and trust His path was better than mine and a wiser use off my life, Although my intial choice of career would not have been financially rich unless I had beaten Kathy Reichs to the bestseller list, but it would have had ways to fulfill me academically etc

-Charley

Just out of curiosity, Kevin, have you read Approaching Zion by Hugh Nibley??

I'm a new fan of Hugh Nibley. The man was amazing. I haven't read that book myself, however, I've heard him talking about his views on politics and capitalism. I heartily disagree with a lot of those, they can be far too liberal for my tastes.

Sorry, one more question, are you familiar with Bob Proctor, Leslie Householder, Jackrabbit Factor? I notice your site mentions the Law of Attraction.

I really am just curious. A yes or no will certainly suffice.

I would be happy to read your book, just requested a copy.

I think some of us may be forgetting Jacob 2:18-19:

18 But before ye seek for riches, seek ye for the kingdom of God.

19 And after ye have obtained a hope in Christ ye shall obtain riches, if ye seek them; and ye will seek them for the intent to do good—to clothe the naked, and to feed the hungry, and to liberate the captive, and administer relief to the sick and the afflicted.

I know this was quoted before, but I think it bears quoting again.

Not a single influential church member in good standing before the Lord had their money given to them, especially in the cases of Mariott and others. All must abide by this world's laws of monetary property (responsibility, thriftiness, dedication and hard work, etc.). It is promised to those who have the ability and desire to become affluent with the desire to serve the Lord- and there are many like that- that they shall achieve those desires.

Personally, I'd love to read more about financial responsibility, especially if the model follows the Gospel. I'm sending in for a copy right now.

I think the issue is in defining riches a good seamstress doesn't need to be Marriot or Bill Gates to clothe the naked, a good farmer may not be wealthy but without huge funds can feed the poor, my first career choice could have lead to captives being freed or for that matter incarcerated.

When Bill Gates, Marriot etc wrote their first programme or opened the first hotel was the goal to do that task good or was it focus on riches in my opinion and experience and I grew up around and still mix with some very wealthy people is that, is to create something that is usually unstable. My Uncle and Aunty were a good policeman and nurse, my Uncle made his way in life and became wealthy because of his incredible honesty, instead of focusing on the riches like many did and cashing in on the corruption and bribery going on around him, he forged a career in anti corruption that was world reknowned. My other Uncle if you asked him what he did for a living would tell you he was a builder which is true but he owned a major construction company his goal to do his job well.

Like Jacob says we don't seek riches we seek God then everything we receive is riches, we have more to give because we use only what we need, our needs are less etc

-Charley

It's seems we have some great singers in the Tabernacle Choir. Were they born that way or did they work at it?

I think you are mixing apples and oranges. Developing one's talents is very different from getting gain. I can be a very effective business person, and still not be rich. I can be rich, and not be a very effective business person (just look at Bernie Madoff).

Also, just because a person develops a skill or talent, does not mean they may not be sinning. Does working towards the Olympics make it okay to work out on Sundays? Does being an effective business person mean I work 80 hour weeks, and neglect my wife and kids?

First, one must define success. Does it include the celestial kingdom and eternal families, or does it mean something else? If I first give all to God, then perhaps I may not be as "successful" in other areas, such as work or swimming, as would a person who focused more on these things.

For example, I took a lot of years to get my college degrees, not because I was lazy, but because I was engaged in major callings. I was in my first bishopric at 29, with big callings before and afterward. I often spent 20-40 hours per week handling church callings. Who had time for full time school? Such decisions to follow the Lord cost me years of advancement and increased salaries. But I do not regret it, as my focus isn't on making money, but on serving God.

It's kind of funny but I think people assume that one must choose between having money and the Gospel. I also think that people feel it takes a lot of time and energy to make money. That may be true when you work for money but not when you co-create it with God's help. In fact co-creating money with God only happens if it is done HIS WAY. Yes, money can be made doing things in oposition to God's will...we all know this is true...but that is not what I am talking about. What I am saying is that anybody can prosper financially with God's help, and there are certain Laws that must be understood and applied, but once a person understands these Laws and how they work they can "become rich GOD's Way." Becoming rich any other way would not be following the Gospel plan. I share how this is done, in my book, and I am giving the book away for FREE so there is no reason for someone to not be able to afford it. My only wish is that if you like the book you share it with someone else.

The book covers how to know what God's will is and how to know just "how much" is enough for each person individually. Check it out. We are all individuals and God knows us best. However no cop-outs please. Most people give up before knowing the Laws and I am not talking strictly about money. People give up on lots of things. If an toddler tried and failed when learning to walk, and just decided "walking must just be for other people, but not for me", most people wouldn't be walking today. If God reveals to you that something isn't meant for you by all means listen! He probably has another specific plan for you, but don't say "no" because of fear of failure or because you fear success.

Do a goggle search of "prosperity gospel," and you will find tons of discussion on this issue. At its most extreme, judgment could be made against non-prosperious members, since they obviously did not have much faith, or they would be prosperious. The crucial error in much such teaching (not necessarily the OP) is in claiming God's riches based on some prooftexts, rather than indeed seeking God's face and garnering his approval for that which we seek. If God says yes, then, by faith, walk in the promised blessing, believing it is so even before it comes to pass. But, be aware that God may say "Wait." He might even say "No." (Gasp!)

On the other hand, sad-sack Christianity is not attractive at all. Prosperity teaching can be a wonderful corrective to the false humility and passive fatalism that often gets passed off as "cross-carrying" Christianity.

That's why I like Mark Driscoll (Mars Hill Church, Seattle, Wa.), he doesn't teach prosperity gospel but he does, as he puts it, put the " 'fun' in fundamentalist ". You don't have to be boring and stiff to be a conservative Christian.