Back in the USSR......

bytor2112

The New Adidas hat........a sign of the times? Might look great with your favorite Che' shirt....

Posted Image

Show your love for the former USSR during training time in this adidas Marx A-Flex Russia cap, featuring a six-panel low-crown fit, deep pre-curved brim, an Always Cool™ sweatband to wick away the moisture, and a hammer-and-sickle graphic.

Edited by bytor2112

Yeah, nothing says communism like a fashion item produced by a corporation based in the strongest capitalist economy in the world. Posted Image

Germany is the strongest capitalist economy in the world? Or do you just assume that every large company is from America.

I think these will not sell well in eastern europe.

Wow, was it really that long ago that people don't remember the atrocities? :confused:

There are lots of people, probably some here on this site, who will deny that they were really atrocities, just misunderstandings of events. What's a few dozen million dead in the grand scheme of things? One man's oppression is another man's opportunity to take his things. It's just a redistribution of wealth, right?

Guest Godless

Germany is the strongest capitalist economy in the world? Or do you just assume that every large company is from America.

I don't normally make that assumption, but I suppose in this case I did. My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

And I stand by my original statement. :cool:

There are lots of people, probably some here on this site, who will deny that they were really atrocities, just misunderstandings of events. What's a few dozen million dead in the grand scheme of things? One man's oppression is another man's opportunity to take his things. It's just a redistribution of wealth, right?

Just like those who try to deny the Holocaust. When someone wants to embrace an ideology badly enough, documented proof isn't enough.

Just like those who try to deny the Holocaust. When someone wants to embrace an ideology badly enough, documented proof isn't enough.

I think Stalin and the USSR get a "pass" because of the holocaust and teaming up against Hitler.

I genuinely think not many people know of the atrocities or to what extent they occurred because the history books are so focused on Germany during that time.

I don't normally make that assumption, but I suppose in this case I did. My mistake. Thanks for correcting me.

And I stand by my original statement. :cool:

After I read through my comment I realize that it sound probably very rude. It was not meant in this way and I am very sorry if I was abrasive. ;)

Yeah, nothing says communism like a fashion item produced by a corporation based in the strongest capitalist economy in the world. Posted Image

True! I like to bypass the big sweatshop corporations and get my stuff made in Russia. I bought several cool KGB shirts for my sons last year in St. Petersburg.

What is a KGB shirt?:huh:

Just a shirt with the KGB emblem on it and some comical stuff as well. You can also pick up McLenin shirts, and Che wearing all kinds of corporate labels. It's ironic humor. However, I would not wear a shirt with merely a picture of Stalin any more than I'd want to wear a shirt with Hitler on it -- they were both psychotic butchers.

I guess I understand more because my dad grew up (and escaped) from a strong communist country. What he and his family went through just because he escaped to America was atrocious. These stories are a part of my heritage and I cannot bear to think of people being so insensitive and stupid as to wear a symbol of bondage like that.

I think Stalin and the USSR get a "pass" because of the holocaust and teaming up against Hitler.

I genuinely think not many people know of the atrocities or to what extent they occurred because the history books are so focused on Germany during that time.

I think you are spot on.

Until seven years ago, I knew nothing about Stalin, and the twenty million who died under his regime.

Twenty million people

I worked with a woman who grew up in Czechoslovakia before the wall came down. In fact, she and her husband were part of an underground movement that called for Czech independence, and the time came when they knew they were in danger of being discovered, and so escaped. Her story is extraordinary, and I always teased her that she ended up in Utah. :P

Anyway, she is the one who told me about Stalin, and gave me some books to read. I was dumbfounded, and could not believe I had known nothing about this. The man was evil personified.

I was amazed at the Soviet people during WWII. Tney had suffered terribly under a madman, yet when their country was invaded by Germany, they all rallied to defeat the Nazis, which they did. They are a fascinating people.

Ephaba

I think you are spot on.

Until seven years ago, I knew nothing about Stalin, and the twenty million who died under his regime.

Twenty million people

Until just now, I had no idea it was that bad.

I think the trend in public schools *may* be moving away from giving Stalin a 'pass', because I clearly remember learning about how bad he was. The story that sticks out in my mind was the time he was giving a speech and everyone was afraid to be the first to stop clapping afterward. Eventually, and old man couldn't do it anymore and stopped. According to the story, the old man was taken and executed.

Whether it's true or not, the story solidified the idea of Stalin's evil in my mind. But... I had no idea it was 20,000,000 people. That's what, 2-3 times larger than the amount of Jews that died in the Holocaust?

The story that sticks out in my mind was the time he was giving a speech and everyone was afraid to be the first to stop clapping afterward. Eventually, and old man couldn't do it anymore and stopped. According to the story, the old man was taken and executed.

I learned about the clapping as well; in fact the Bolshoi dancers would do the same when he came to watch the ballet.

I googled this and found a reference that says an independent-minded factory owner was the first to stop clapping, after twelve minutes, and everyone else immediately stopped clapping as well.

The factory-owner was arrested that night and sentenced to ten years in prison.

I found this in a blog, wich I never use as proof of anything, but it quoted Solzhenitsyn, a Stalin historian, so it is possible the story is true.

Elphaba