Missionary story clarification

goofball

Anyone know of the story about one of the apostles regarding his conversion story. I have heard that someone was giving a talk about his mission and said he felt like a failure because he only converted a dirty Scottish boy. The apostle then later told that missionary I am that boy.

I thought it was Talmage but he was born in England. Or is it really just a Mormon legend.

Oh wise and omniscient LDS.net board what is the answer?

I don't know the answer but it reminds me of another story. Maybe someone knows the origins of it too.

A Japanese American convert was preparing for a mission, and he just knew that he would be called to Japan. After all, he already spoke fluent Japanese. Well his mission call came, and he was called to... Germany. Well, he was disappointed and discouraged, but trudged on. Well, one day while walking door to door, he was greeted by a Japanese family, and when he introduced himself in German, they just looked at him with blank stares. Then he tried English, and again, no response. So he tries Japanese, and suddenly their eyes brighten in recognition. Needless to say, they were taught the gospel and were baptized. So God places missionaries where they need to be.

Charles A Callis is the Apostle you’re thinking of. And he was Irish, not Scottish. The story you refer to is recounted by President Faust in this talk.

LDS.org - Ensign Article - Them That Honour Me I Will Honour

Bonus tidbit, Elder Callis married a daughter of one of my ancestors. Just one of my many claims to fame!

I’m not so sure about the Japanese American story. I’ve heard this many times before, but never with the missionary being called to the same mission. I’ve heard it assigned to Mexico, Peru, Argentina, Brazil, and now Germany. Oddly enough, Brazil is the most likely place for this story to take place. For some reason there’s a bizarre relationship between Brazil and Japan that I don’t understand the roots of. But there are Portuguese speaking branches in Japan.

I wonder if somewhere along the line it changed from Brazil to Germany to give the story more impact.

In my mission in the Boston area, we had a Russian speaking missionary called from Alaska. But this was because of a massive influx of Russian immigrants, so I could see how a missionary who speaks Japanese be called to an area with a lot of Japanese immigrants.

Oddly enough, Brazil is the most likely place for this story to take place. For some reason there’s a bizarre relationship between Brazil and Japan that I don’t understand the roots of. But there are Portuguese speaking branches in Japan.

I understand it has to do with Japan's pre-WWII expansion, when they were trying to get a worldwide foothold. Brazil was one of their big points of interest, and they sent many ambassadors. Lots of Brazil/Japan exchange. Or so I've been told.

I had a friend who spoke fluent Spanish and some Portugese, but was called to Japan on his mission. He was really good with languages, but it took him about 18 months before he finally grasped Japanese.

One day in the subway, he and his companion were contacting at different ends of the platform, when some Peruvians came up to my friend's companion and started talking to him very excitedly. The companion (knowing my friend spoke Spanish) called my friend over. My friend learned that they had met with missionaries in Peru (hence they recognized the nametags), but had been transferred on business to Tokyo, and had been looking for the Church since they got there. (He later told me that there are a lot of business dealings between Japan and Peru.) My friend set up an appointment with them for the next day, and when he and his companion arrived, they found a house full of 25 people to teach!

After teaching and baptizing some of these people, my friend was transferred to a new area (not far away). There, he, his American companion, and two elders from Brazil opened the first Spanish-speaking branch in Japan, near the base of Mt. Fuji.

When he first got his mission call, we couldn't for the life of us figure out why he was going to Japan. The Lord knows what He's doing, apparently. :)

• 1 year later...

I had a friend who spoke fluent Spanish and some Portugese, but was called to Japan on his mission. He was really good with languages, but it took him about 18 months before he finally grasped Japanese.

One day in the subway, he and his companion were contacting at different ends of the platform, when some Peruvians came up to my friend's companion and started talking to him very excitedly. The companion (knowing my friend spoke Spanish) called my friend over. My friend learned that they had met with missionaries in Peru (hence they recognized the nametags), but had been transferred on business to Tokyo, and had been looking for the Church since they got there. (He later told me that there are a lot of business dealings between Japan and Peru.) My friend set up an appointment with them for the next day, and when he and his companion arrived, they found a house full of 25 people to teach!

After teaching and baptizing some of these people, my friend was transferred to a new area (not far away). There, he, his American companion, and two elders from Brazil opened the first Spanish-speaking branch in Japan, near the base of Mt. Fuji.

When he first got his mission call, we couldn't for the life of us figure out why he was going to Japan. The Lord knows what He's doing, apparently. :)

Edmundo Was there! with Cardoso