Running: experiences, achievements and lessons

Unser

Alrighty, so, I kinda wanna talk running. Partially because I love what it does for you! I ran cross country all four years of high school and absoultly loved it! I don't know what I would have done without running and my coach ha ha. Since graduating I haven't been as consistant as I would like but I still do what I can here and there. I got my first marathon under my belt at 18 woot woot! And looking for another one to do in May (suggestions are welcomed, and I will be in Oregon in the first week of may so if you know of any up there that is a possability too). I even did a duathlon in St. George about two weeks ago. Gotta say, I don't know if I can get into biking :S lol.

Anyways, I want to hear your stories, experiances, what running has done for you, your accomplishments, etc. So please share! I find talking about it also helps motivate me to get out their and kick some asphalt woot woot!

Wow!!

I am attempting..............key word attempting to get in to running. Not a runner, have always considered myself a swimmer!!

As I slowly attempt it is great to see even the small accomplishments such as seeing my pulse rate recover more quickly. My goal is to be able to run 6 miles by June.....don't know if I bit more off then I am able but I am still trying. If I don't get the six done by June I will still plan on it by September.

Oh be confident! I'm sure if you stick with it, you will be able to accomplish those 6 miles like nobodies business! Ha ha. One of the major things that I would stress is consistancy. Being consistant is the key. Start off with shorter distances and slowly and gradually increase. I don't want to force advice on you but if you would like some let me know. Have you ever thought of doing a smaller triathlon? You could get some swimming in with that? Ha ha anyways, I'm just rambling now.

oooh, hopefully this thread will be motivational for me! I just started running again last saturday. It was my first time back since my daughter was born 7 weeks ago. My dad and I went out...of course it started pouring after our first 100 feet but we were able to do about 3 miles together. I will turn 30 in two years and my father will turn 60 and our goal is to do the honolulu marathon to celebrate! It will be his second marathon, he did his first when he turned 50 and it will be my first. So I've got a little less than two years to get ready for it. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Thats sounds like so much fun, gotta tell you I'm quite jelous. As far as tips go, be consistent. It also might help to draw up a schedule and plan on when to increase your milleage. You can find a ton of info on Runner's World thats a great place to go. Also, something that sometimes helps is Nike has (or use to have) a training plan you could right up yourself and had some articles and tips for running. I think it was on Nikeplus.com I hope this thread can keep you motivated though! Lol anything in particular that would help you to stay motivated?

Alrighty, so, I had kinda of a... I don't know what to call it... 'Running Moment' today. I left the apartment and started heading a way I had not yet been since I live here. I ran for quite some time and ended up in and development of some sort. There was road winding and puzzeling out towards Utah Lake but no house had been put up yet. As I ran I looked across the lake, at the golfers playing in the "rediscovered" warm weather and towards 1-15 from where I had come and the mountains behind it. The roads eventually wound their way in to a loop and I started back towards home. I waited for what seemed like forever to cross the street. I was starting to feel real good and hand not more than a mile. The light turned green and and eager car turing right went and I tried to touch the tailight of the car as it passed. Continueing on the "home strecht", I barked back at a yapping dog who chassed me along the fence line. I was feeling great. By now I had less than 800metters left. As I passed the church a man in the bed of the truck called out and asked how I was doing. "Doing good, and yourself?" I replied. "Good thanks, what school do you run for?" he asked. The question caught me off guard and I looked back ahead for a moment. I then turned back and yelled "I'm running for myself". Running for me started by representing that name on the front of the jersey. Somewhere however, it became more than about representing a school, a mascot, a student body, and (with the greatest respect) a team. I don't know when the change occured but it has. I run for myself, not medals, not winning times, etc. Coach always taught E=R² (Effort equals two kinda of results) Instead of the results of those medals and winning times I run for the second kind of results. A higher more gratifing set of results of personal accomplishment, will, determination and a developed absoulte love of running.

Thanks for reading all this those who have. I hope it helps to motivate/inspire or something. Please and your stories or experiances. I would love to hear some.

I'm a bigger dude (6"3 220 lbs) and just started taking up running about 6 months ago. I hated it until about a few weeks ago. Now I can't wait to go, but a few days ago I ran 6 miles (which is a lot for me) and have these nasty shin splints now. As soon as I begin liking it, I can't go running anymore! Does anyone have any home remedies? I just bought some nice running shoes, and put the gel pads in them. I'm going to go for a short run today and take some ibproferen and wrap my shins to see if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I can't wait to get back out there!

Thanks!

Lol write your ABC's ;) What you do is sit down. Then you can cross your legs or just hold one up and you write the ABC's with you toe as big as you can. That should help a bit though I can't say it will fix it. It's not a one time thing either, ya gotta be consistent and keep doing it for a while if you want it to help. Anyways, I hope that helps, let me know how the run goes.

I'm a bigger dude (6"3 220 lbs) and just started taking up running about 6 months ago. I hated it until about a few weeks ago. Now I can't wait to go, but a few days ago I ran 6 miles (which is a lot for me) and have these nasty shin splints now. As soon as I begin liking it, I can't go running anymore! Does anyone have any home remedies? I just bought some nice running shoes, and put the gel pads in them. I'm going to go for a short run today and take some ibproferen and wrap my shins to see if that helps. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I can't wait to get back out there!

Thanks!

How old are your tennis shoes? Start there. DO NOT GO CHEAP on your running shoes. That is the fastest way to an injury. Buy new ones if they are 6 months old or more. Use the old ones for yard work, washing the car or whatever but not for running or exercise. You may have lost 2-3 pounds but the shoe is already deformed.

You need to warm up your flexor and peroneus muscle group. Those are the ones giving you trouble.

1. Stand flat on your bare feet and use the wall or furniture for support. Inch up on the tip of your toes and do 10-15 reps up and down and roll to your heel. So, you will inch up on your toes and back down to stand on your heel while you lift your toes off the ground.

2. Sit on a chair, bare feet, flat on the floor. Pull your toes back (inward) as if making a tight "fist" with them while resting the heels on the floor. 10-15 reps.

3. Find a step and right before you go running stand on your toes (with shoes) on the edge of the step, heels in the air and inch up on your toes and down but do not touch the floor with your heels.

That will strengthen that muscle group and it will stop hurting.

How old are your tennis shoes? Start there. DO NOT GO CHEAP on your running shoes. That is the fastest way to an injury. Buy new ones if they are 6 months old or more. Use the old ones for yard work, washing the car or whatever but not for running or exercise. You may have lost 2-3 pounds but the shoe is already deformed.

I wouldn't say every 6 months. Who knows how much (or little) you are running in them. I would say, give or take, about every 500 miles get a new pair. He just barely got himself a new pair of shoes though so I think he is good on that end.

I need a new pair of shoes myself :S whats everyones favorite brand of running shoe ha ha? Asics for me! Woot woot! Mizuno's have served me pretty well too.

I wouldn't say every 6 months. Who knows how much (or little) you are running in them. I would say, give or take, about every 500 miles get a new pair. He just barely got himself a new pair of shoes though so I think he is good on that end.

I need a new pair of shoes myself :S whats everyones favorite brand of running shoe ha ha? Asics for me! Woot woot! Mizuno's have served me pretty well too.

That sounds about right. He said he was up to 5 miles per day.

Call me old fashion but NewBalance is my shoe. I can't run as I used to because of old injuries but I can put some miles behind 1-2 x week. The exercises I shared should help with the "split chins"

Running ...one of the most wonderful feelings.......My son and daughter are both in track sooo cool to watch... I walk... sand bags on ones behind keep running from beinf a cool thing... but I will run again. My daughter and I went to the track and she ran I walked... She did hurdles I walked and she sprinted I sprinted with her ok the truth I walked..... A ways to go before I can run again but it will happen :}