Nice ABC News Piece on HBO Big Love Controversy

lusciouschaos

It bugs me that the only part of the Church's statement that they quoted was "Certainly Church members are offended..." The ironic thing is that that part of the statement is taken out of context, and the end of that very sentence talks about context.

Thanks, I do agree, Showing a Temple cermony on tv is very shamefull, cuz it is very scrad!!! Who's next? Cathlics? Or Jews? Every religion has something sacrade, and really should not be touche by Hollywood. It's not secret, but it is very sacrade, we need to keep it so

I'm pretty sure that the LDS religion is the next, as Catholicism and Judaism were being ridiculed long before LDS-ism was ever conceived. Mockery of religion isn't a new thing. I'm not sure why we're all so shocked by this.

I totaly agree, I love the islam people.

Daily Gems

Temple Endowment

Posted: 13 Mar 2009 12:00 AM PDT

"The temple endowment was given by revelation. Thus, it is best understood by revelation, prayerfully sought with a sincere heart. President Brigham Young said, 'Your endowment is, to receive all those ordinances in the house of the Lord, which are necessary for you, after you have departed this life, to enable you to walk back to the presence of the Father, . . . and gain your eternal exaltation' (Discourses of Brigham Young, sel. John A. Widtsoe [1941], 416)." __________________________________________________ SPECIAL MESSAGE: Church Statement on "Big Love" Visit the Newsroom to read the Church’s official statement on an upcoming episode of HBO’s Big Love that is said to depict temple ceremonies. If you would like to learn more, watch a video that explains why we build temples. To share this video, go to the YouTube page, click “Share” below the video, and then select how you would like to share it. __________________________________________________

Russell M. Nelson, “Personal Preparation for Temple Blessings,” Ensign, May 2001, 32

Topics: Temple

There is a rumor going around that what HBO is doing is probably pay back time for the church supporting Prop 8. Time will tell if this is true but I think the homosexual minority will not let this rest.

Not only is our church being attacked for this support but the Catholic church is also being attacked in Massachusetts or it might be Connecticut. I've lost the article about it but some legislation regarding how Bishops control the church finances in that state.

There is no evidence to support this but the timing is certainly interesting.

I'm sure, in part, the airing of temple ordinances has to do with the Church's involvement with Proposition 8. However, I think the main reason is for ratings: HBO knew it would stir up controversy and are hoping to get a rise out of the Mormons and the LDS Church. That way, it makes the Church look bad (the media could paint it anyway they want) and like it's trying to suppress 'freedom of expression'. Plus, tons of free advertising that way.

I think the Church's nonchalant attitude has foiled HBO's hopes for controversy.

I'm sure, in part, the airing of temple ordinances has to do with the Church's involvement with Proposition 8. However, I think the main reason is for ratings: HBO knew it would stir up controversy and are hoping to get a rise out of the Mormons and the LDS Church. That way, it makes the Church look bad (the media could paint it anyway they want) and like it's trying to suppress 'freedom of expression'. Plus, tons of free advertising that way.

I think the Church's nonchalant attitude has foiled HBO's hopes for controversy.

Naw, the real reason is because the writers are out of original thought. Notice all the Hollywood movies are just remakes? :P

I just remembered that Tom Hanks made some insult about our church when Prop 8 passed and he later apologized for. Isn't he also one of the producers of Big Love that just happens to be doing something disrespectful about our beliefs? Is this his pay back time? I've lost all respect for Tom Hanks.

Thanks, I do agree, Showing a Temple cermony on tv is very shamefull, cuz it is very scrad!!! Who's next? Cathlics? Or Jews? Every religion has something sacrade, and really should not be touche by Hollywood. It's not secret, but it is very sacrade, we need to keep it so

I agree. However, Catholics have been the favorite to attack for years now -- fundamentalists come in a close second. Jews tend to avoid this both due to people not wanting to be seen as anti-Semite as well as the tremendous numbers of people in the entertainment industry of at least Jewish heritage.

There is a rumor going around that what HBO is doing is probably pay back time for the church supporting Prop 8. Time will tell if this is true but I think the homosexual minority will not let this rest.

I just remembered that Tom Hanks made some insult about our church when Prop 8 passed and he later apologized for. Isn't he also one of the producers of Big Love that just happens to be doing something disrespectful about our beliefs? Is this his pay back time? I've lost all respect for Tom Hanks.

Oh. My. Gosh. People, how many times do we have to rehash this? Tom Hanks does not sit around all day thinking of ways to stick it to the Mormons. Get over it!

Oh. My. Gosh. People, how many times do we have to rehash this? Tom Hanks does not sit around all day thinking of ways to stick it to the Mormons. Get over it!

Would you believe half a day?

Seriously, I wish I could believe as easily as you do Wingnut. I don't believe opponents to Prop 8 will go away and leave this alone. Tom Hanks was an opponent.

They will do all that they can to advance their agenda. Maybe you haven't heard of a web site that lists many people and organizations that have donated to Prop 8? It's there for a reason.

The fact is, when Prop 8 passed Tom Hanks did insult the church and apologized for it a day or two later. I don't remember the exact words he used but it is a fact. That "may" be a good enough reason why he would produce this type of show.

If there are any Tom Hanks fans out there...I apologize.

Edited by omega0401

Nothing beats free advertising in these "tough economic times".

What HBO doesn't realize is that while they may gain someone's attention for the span of a TV show out of all the free advertising, the LORD may gain someone for eternity who's curiousity peaked by this prompts them to learn of the Restoration.

-a-train

In my mind, this is about two things: The Churchs leadership position on Prop. 8 & money. Tom Hanks is upset because of the Churchs position on Prop. 8, and they have ex mormons on HBO's Big Love Staff who no doubt betrayed the convenants they took. In spite of this, the Church will still march onward and upward. As for Tom Hanks apology, sure he apologized, but he still allowed the writers to use what he knew to be sacred covenants in Sundays Big Love presentation.

I personally find his apology a little hallow after that. Actions have always spoke louder than words.

In my mind, this is about two things: The Churchs leadership position on Prop. 8 & money. Tom Hanks is upset because of the Churchs position on Prop. 8, and they have ex mormons on HBO's Big Love Staff who no doubt betrayed the convenants they took. In spite of this, the Church will still march onward and upward. As for Tom Hanks apology, sure he apologized, but he still allowed the writers to use what he knew to be sacred covenants in Sundays Big Love presentation.

I personally find his apology a little hallow after that. Actions have always spoke louder than words.

One wonders how Hank's experiences in the LDS Church when he was a child affects the way he sees LDS culture today.

This is a perfect example of why the Mormon persecution complex is alive and well. I doubt very much that people contemplate about how to attack Mormons. I doubt very much that Mormons even cross their mind the majority of the time. Many people are either indifferent to Mormon beliefs or they have no clue at all. Big Love is a TV series produced by many people, it is their job. Due to the attention this episode has gotten (and it hasn't even aired yet), the Big Love people have learned Mormon's are upset but that doesn't mean they are going to stop doing their jobs to make Mormons feel better. This TV show does not revolve around the Mormon people's feeling. I'm pretty sure the majority of Mormons have never watched even one episode. Many groups have felt picked on unintentionally and intentionally (read South Park) but most learn that life does go on. The ironic thing is that if Mormons weren't so offended to bring this episode to everyone's attention, it probably wouldn't get the viewer-ship that has gotten everyone so curious.

M.