Does God make up new meanings for existing words?

Webster

Pick the first statement (from the top down) which you think is true:  

2 members have voted

1. 1. Pick the first statement (from the top down) which you think is true:

• 1) God has made up new meanings for existing words in modern scripture [please share example(s)]
    • 2) God may tweak an existing word to describe something we don't have a word for [share example(s)]
    • 3) God always uses words with exactness so we can come to an understanding

I believe that we have adapted words to mean different things over the years. I think God knows and understand what He is saying, but we don't understand words as He does, and may not discover what He means until we have read something a hundred or a thousand times, sometimes. That's why passages seem to change over the years, or take on new meaning.

Same, D, None of the above.

#4 I think he uses his own language that we don't know and cannot comprehend. I think he speaks to us through our own languages. We learn that he allowed Adam to name everything, he did not tell Adam what they were. We are only using words that are within our comprehension and either pass them down from generation to generation or make up our own.

After reflection, I'd have to choose "D", which in my case is a synthesis of all three of your options. I think He uses different tactics to teach us spiritual concepts.

Words are merely visual or aural symbols we use to convey ideas and imagery to our fellow man. Of themselves, the physical sounding of words are meaningless: it is the idea expressed and represented that gains merit. God, through the Holy Ghost, conveys messages directly to our spirits in a way that transcends the symbolism of language; in a way that transcends cultural differences.

The Lord may introduce new doctrinal concepts using terms already extant, or teach us through the power of the Holy Ghost to attach additional meanings to words we already use, but He is not bound by the confines of our imperfect language.

In my humble opinion, I have to go with #3. Every single word in the bible has a precise double-meaning, one literal, and one which is to be had only through the numerical value using the Hebrew Qabalah.

Well, Hebrew for the Old Testament, Greek for the New Testament.

I agree with this statement probably more than the other options. I don't think that God changes the meaning of words, or invents new words or anything along those lines. I think that our definitions and associations have changed because revelations in the Bible weren't originally written (or given, for that matter) in English.

In my humble opinion, I have to go with #3. Every single word in the bible has a precise double-meaning, one literal, and one which is to be had only through the numerical value using the Hebrew Qabalah.

There are more layers than 2. They are more like an onion... lots of layers.

I don't think there's a either a magic or scientific way of unlocking those layers.

They come through study, pondering, and praying for the answer to be revealed to you. Also, obedience to the layers you do understand up to that point.