Who wants to Read the Book Of Mormon With me?

Hi, i recently finished the book of mormon for the first time in my life!!! it is officially one of my favorite books ever!!!!

so i was wondering who would like to start reading it with me again starting monday? and then we can share what we've learned, and what motivates us, encourages us etc. like maybe read 5 chapters a day or something :) i would like to have it done before easter! then read the easter story thats in the bible :) anyway thinking to far in advance haha, who would like to read it with me? :D

This is a website that I use for scripture reading. I really like it because it sends me an email as a reminder. I can read it or listen to it online, from the website or the email. It also has other readings besides the Book of Mormon. I am currently reading the BoM and the November 2008 Conference issue.

yeah i think my idea for that is kinda shot down lol work started again today and i was wiped out im thinkin like a chapter.. maybe two a day, anyway, so i read mine and im still looking forward to getting into alma again lol.. i really admire Nephi though. living with such pessimistic siblings! and staying optimistic and positive all the time. its such a great example. i need to work on my optimism i think. how did your's all go?

It's quite possible to read the BoM in four weeks. However, do you want to "read" or know and understand what you have read? I tried to read all the scriptures in two years and found I was reading words. There's a lot to be said for slow and steady. Was the goal to say you have read it maybe re-read or did you want something else? Are you going to open up chapters for discussion?

It's quite possible to read the BoM in four weeks. However, do you want to "read" or know and understand what you have read? I tried to read all the scriptures in two years and found I was reading words. There's a lot to be said for slow and steady. Was the goal to say you have read it maybe re-read or did you want something else? Are you going to open up chapters for discussion?

Depends on your goal and where you are in life, IMO. I made a goal early in the year to read the BoM in 60 days. Here's a quote from my journal about it:

One of my goals is to read the Book of Mormon in 60 days. I am not expecting to receive deep insight or reveal new doctrines. But I do expect to become reacquainted with a beloved book. I do expect to feel the Spirit again in my life. I expect to have these 60 days help me to create a habit of turning to the scriptures more.

Some days I was just reading the words. Other days, I heard the Spirit speak to me.

I am reading the Book of Mormon but taking it very slow and steady this time. I've read it numerous times before...but never really got all that I could from it. This time I want it to mean more to me than it has in the past.

I'm doing research as I go along. I'm looking for articles by General Authorities on lds.org that go along with it. As well as reading lesson material from the institute manual online.

I have the BoM on cd and listen to them when I drive to work. The first day that I did I was thrilled when I got home and realized I wasn't stressed out. If you have ever driven on the freeways southern California, you know that it is one of those guarantees that all your muscles with be in a knot and your frame of mind has shifted off track. One of the missionaies told me that a member in one of the other wards that rides the Metrolink Train listens to the scriptures on his Ipod. There is so many techniques that members are using that I love. I have a three sets of scriptures one for work, the car and home. :)

I have the BoM on cd and listen to them when I drive to work

Those are the times when I wish I had a longer commute. It takes only about 5-7 minutes for me to drive to work.

• 2 weeks later...

This subjec is a bit dated, but I just thought I'd chime in on the "reading" the BOM theme here. Last summer, I felt I was falling way behind in my scripture studies and habits, so I took up the 60 day challenge for myself.

It was an awesome experience, it got me back into regular scripture reading/study, and it was a whole different experience from the usual study, ponder, pray. Not that I didn't ponder or pray, but I didn't do cross-references and such, and I certainly pondered and prayed but the emphasis was on reading.

I know that in one of the more recent conferences we were counselled that we shouldn't just read but that we should study, ponder, and pray, and of course this is true, but I don't think they meant you could NEVER just read the scriptures. Have you ever just picked up the Bible or BOM and said to yourself, okay for the next couple months I"m just gonna' kick back on the sofa, kick my legs up and read my scriptures casually just like a good old novel? It's a unique experience and gives one a good appreciation of the scriptures, I think, a more intimate feeling.

I think the prophets have counselled us to study, ponder, and pray so that we don't develop "rote" and meaningless reading habits in the same way we might develop "rote" and meaningless prayer. That doesn't mean we can't have occasional times where just reading is our objective--so long as our heart is into it.

cheers

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I once did the Standard Works in a year. In some parts, it was just words (but those are the same parts where I would get that on a chapter a day), in other parts, I did get something more out of it.

Individuals vary, so I'd hesitate to say there's a correct pace for all. I'm a fast reader, so go nuts trying to go too slowly.