American family life today!

Fiannan

See! Some couples in modern society are able to cooperate fully in decisions concerning reproduction:

FOXNews.com - Iron Chef Cat Cora and Her Lesbian Partner Both Pregnant - Celebrity Gossip | Entertainment News | Arts And Entertainment

and...

Lesbian IVF couple who shared eggs and sperm BOTH give birth to twins | Mail Online

Then again, some couples really need to take a breather and try to come to a mutual decision on family issues:

Lesbian arrested for allegedly attempting to forcibly inseminate wife with turkey baster | Weird True Freaky | News.com.au

You know, it's a good thing polygamy is not something that has become mainstreamed yet. That kind of relationship would just be too different!:D

Oh, and yes I know the Mail Online article is dealing with a British couple but I am sure there's plenty of American couples who could relate to the story as well.

Edited by Fiannan

Interesting stories. The one about the double twins who are actually quads was really neat. (Oh and it's not a British couple...they're from Riverside, CA...it's just covered by British press.)

Opps, my mistake.:)

I wonder why polygamist males don't just claim that all the women in their marriage are really lesbians and they are just the full time donor? Then society today would be all supportive.:D

There is a reason that polygamy doesn't work, and I want you men to consider this: Do you REALLY want to deal with more than one wife PMS-ing and taking it out on you and each other??? Really??? I know some men like the idea of catfights, but I think that would get really old really fast. There is also the issue of jealousy. Women are jealous creatures. Again, while some men might relish the thought of two or more women fighting over them, it would get old.

The sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman was established in the Garden of Eden.

In Exodus, when Moses was explaining the 10 Commandments, there was no mention made of plural marriage; it had become something practiced by the heathens, with whom the Jews were not to associate... even though they did eventually.

Every New Testament gospel speaks of the relationship between husbands and wives, and further outlines the Commandments, prohibiting divorce and further condemning adultery.

Paul's letters further outline the marriage relationship. Again, no mention of plural marriage.

In the book of Jacob, it is called a "whoredom."

Granted, I also know the loophole that that same book (Jacob) presents. If the Lord reveals that polygamy is necessary for the promulgation of His Church, then okie dokie. However, Wilford Woodruff revealed in 1890 that polygamy was no longer necessary to further the efforts of the Church.

And, in its earliest and purest form, men had to be called of God by the Prophet himself to participate in plural marriage.

How then, can anyone say that they are called to practice plural marriage? People are excommunicated for that now.... why would anyone want to risk being cut off from the true Church and all its blessings for a lifetime of heartache having to provide physically, emotionally and spiritually for more than one woman? IF you pick the right one, guys, one is definitely enough, and probably at times, more than you can handle.

;-D

Kate

* just one little tiny note here, concerning women and pms...

Not all women get mean and grouchy while pmsing.

There are women who do not get mean and grouchy, those are the ones who actually get more melancholy, meaning tearful and their feelings easily hurt. And then there may be women who react even differently than those two sorts mentioned above.

Personally, I fall into the melancholy gal category.

(just wanted to let some know that pmsings does not always mean every woman will react the same to hormonal changes, or that all women are the same, as we do differ.)

So, you could have some that get grouchy and you may have some that are weepy and then there may be some that...???

So, if you did mix them together, you may have a cat fight to contend with at times, but there may also be some of those gals sitting and crying for a bit...

lol!

Sorry, for following the derail Fiannan, but I felt the need to point this out, since it has been mentioned.

...carry on...

Edited by GingerGolden

There is a reason that polygamy doesn't work, and I want you men to consider this: Do you REALLY want to deal with more than one wife PMS-ing and taking it out on you and each other??? Really??? I know some men like the idea of catfights, but I think that would get really old really fast. There is also the issue of jealousy. Women are jealous creatures. Again, while some men might relish the thought of two or more women fighting over them, it would get old.

So would that be the case? I am not sure of this but then again multiple households could decrease this.

The sanctity of marriage between one man and one woman was established in the Garden of Eden.

After they left, is there any evidence polygamy did not exist -- either Adam marrying some of his daughters or his sons marrying more than one of their sisters?

In Exodus, when Moses was explaining the 10 Commandments, there was no mention made of plural marriage; it had become something practiced by the heathens, with whom the Jews were not to associate... even though they did eventually.

Actually, Jews recognize that women were not condemned for coveting another woman's husband because it was assumed from the 10 Commandments that polygamy was allowed. In the Mosaic Law there are instances it is commanded.

Every New Testament gospel speaks of the relationship between husbands and wives, and further outlines the Commandments, prohibiting divorce and further condemning adultery.

Polygamy is not adultery.

Paul's letters further outline the marriage relationship. Again, no mention of plural marriage.

And some people actually feel Paul advocated a position that celibasy was superior to marriage and family which could not be further from the truth.

The way it was abused, yes...just like one can abuse any practice or blessing.

Granted, I also know the loophole that that same book (Jacob) presents. If the Lord reveals that polygamy is necessary for the promulgation of His Church, then okie dokie. However, Wilford Woodruff revealed in 1890 that polygamy was no longer necessary to further the efforts of the Church.

Now did he exactly say that?

And, in its earliest and purest form, men had to be called of God by the Prophet himself to participate in plural marriage.

So here you admit polygamy can be pure and in the Bible it wasn't?

How then, can anyone say that they are called to practice plural marriage? People are excommunicated for that now.... why would anyone want to risk being cut off from the true Church and all its blessings for a lifetime of heartache having to provide physically, emotionally and spiritually for more than one woman? IF you pick the right one, guys, one is definitely enough, and probably at times, more than you can handle.

Kate

Who is advocating it in opposition to the current church policy of discontinuation until further notice? The purpose of the thread is to show how odd it is that this form of family arrangement is okay nowadays but something that IS in accordance with the scriptures (polygamy) isn't.

And why shouldn't grown adults be able to choose their family arrangements? There are many types of people in this world and so if there are women willing to share a husband and if there are men willing to have more than one family then what of it?

;-D

Kate

Kate, Polygamy is an eternal part of the Patriarchal Order of Marriage. Let face it and move on.

Too much to respond to Fiannan, good post BTW.

I know this doesn't happen in all instances, but sometimes women who live in close quarters (i.e. same household) will get their period at the same time. Imagine two (or more) women, with the mean & grouchy PMS, going through it at the same time, under the same roof. Now that's not worth dealing with.

Having more than four women in my household has it moments and it is true, one does it, others seems to follow through. It is another sense that someone brought up about Magnetism Sense where our minds can be attuned to our environmental surroundings and others. I noticed after having a heart stroke, I gained some serious weight, so did my wife and my youngest daughter. :)

Too much to respond to Fiannan, good post BTW.

I know this doesn't happen in all instances, but sometimes women who live in close quarters (i.e. same household) will get their period at the same time. Imagine two (or more) women, with the mean & grouchy PMS, going through it at the same time, under the same roof. Now that's not worth dealing with.

One can wonder why that is. Perhaps if a woman ovulates at the same time anotehr wife does then that makes childrearing easier as they can switch off feeding the children, etc. Hard to say.

Besides, if they did have grouchy-style PMS then maybe that's the time the husband can have some time for himself and go fishing with his buddies. Not sure if this is in the Bible or just part of Talmudic Judaism but there were time periods in the month where men were not to be around women (depending on her biological sycle). Could that be associated with his health rather than his wife or wives?:D

Besides, if they did have grouchy-style PMS then maybe that's the time the husband can have some time for himself and go fishing with his buddies. Not sure if this is in the Bible or just part of Talmudic Judaism but there were time periods in the month where men were not to be around women (depending on her biological sycle). Could that be associated with his health rather than his wife or wives?:D

I believe it's in the Law of Moses. Men were not allowed to touch their wives until seven days after their time of uncleanliness, or they would become unclean. Ironically, orthodox Jews who still practice this can occasionally have trouble conceiving children if the woman has a shorter-than-average cycle, and regularly ovulates on, say, day 12 of her cycle.