"... according to their wants."

Mosiah 4:26

"And now, for the sake of these things which I have spoken unto you—that is, for the sake of retaining a remission of your sins from day to day, that ye may awalk guiltless before God—I would that ye should bimpart of your substance to the cpoor, every man according to that which he hath, such as dfeeding the hungry, clothing the naked, visiting the sick and administering to their relief, both spiritually and temporally, according to their wants."

Moisah 18:29

"And this he said unto them, having been commanded of God; and they did awalk uprightly before God, imparting to one another both temporally and spiritually according to their needs and their wants."

Alma 35:9

"And he breathed out many threatenings against them. And now the people of Ammon did not fear their words; therefore they did not cast them out, but they did receive all the poor of the Zoramites that came over unto them; and they did anourish them, and did clothe them, and did give unto them lands for their inheritance; and they did administer unto them according to their wants."

As I have read through the Book of Mormon again, this is the first time I really noticed the word "want" in these verses, and it really stuck out at me.

It is good that we go about serving others... helping them to eat, getting them clothes, perhaps even giving them shelter. But the Lord has asked us to go even further, and bless people according to their wants also, This does not mean helping them to sin, but blessing their lives just a little extra beyond what is necessary. How many times does God go beyond our needs and bless us with things which we desire but are not needful things? Very often. The Lord delights in blessing his people.

Let us take delight in blessing those around us in unexpected and generous ways.

Interesting to examine the difference between the wants of the natural and spiritual man. In our ward conference the Stake President gave this quote from C. S. Lewis:

Christ says, 'Give me All. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money

and so much of your work:

I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it.'

So often the natural man wants more ease, often at the cost of personal growth.

Guest missingsomething

Wants can also be defined as those things a person lacks; it doesn't necessarily mean the things he desires.

But... here's a thought... so long as the things he desires are in accordance with the Lord.. and you have the ability to provide one or two of those.... what harm is it to sacrifice a little of your own wants... to satisfy someone elses?

BOM warrior you are too cool. You just shot like way up in my book :) I know.. my book is ultra important to you :rolleyes: but... just saying.

It comes down to having a true spirit of CHARITY. Here's another thought... if you have a true love for your fellow man, charity in your heart for them.... all the other commandments fall into place - you dont covent, lie, steal, murder, hide your talents.... you serve them willingly, pray for them, and you will convert them. Eh, just a thought.