Iran rebuffs Obama

What's funny (or sad) is the news media is just now realizing what Iran is really all about...

Iran's response to US shows mind-set of leadership - Yahoo! News

The Iranian government has it's problems but then again the USA has a long and tarnished history in regards to Iran and perhaps they want to see some real change in attitude and laws before they will trust "Mr. Change" any more than they trusted Bush.

Iran dismisses US overture as ‘a slogan’ - Times Online

The Iranian government has it's problems but then again the USA has a long and tarnished history in regards to Iran and perhaps they want to see some real change in attitude and laws before they will trust "Mr. Change" any more than they trusted Bush.

Iran dismisses US overture as ‘a slogan’ - Times Online

I think this is one time I must respectfully disagree with you, Fiannan.

Jimmy bent over backwards to kiss their hindquarters and look where it got us. Iran has no intention of ever becoming friendly with us, their entire philosophy is based on their version of Islam dominating the world and will use any means to accomplish that end.

I'm not big on sucking up to Iran and I think Obama's actions were supremely bone-headed, but in fairness, it was Carter who tried to resolve the Iran hostage crisis through (bungled) military action; and it was Carter who made the deals that ultimately got the hostages released.

The Iranian leadership is, to be sure, comprised of petulant little twits. But if Iran were truly intent on global domination at all costs, they'd never have made peace with Saddam after the First Gulf War back in the eighties.

Teddy Roosevelt could have handled these people by speaking softly and carrying a big stick. Problem is, the previous administration whittled down our stick and the current administration has taken to screaming loudly.

FWIW, too, Iran is basically sandwiched between two huge American armies right now (in Iraq to the west and Afghanistan to the east). Anyone could be forgiven a little paranoia under those circumstances.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

I think this is one time I must respectfully disagree with you, Fiannan.

Jimmy bent over backwards to kiss their hindquarters and look where it got us. Iran has no intention of ever becoming friendly with us, their entire philosophy is based on their version of Islam dominating the world and will use any means to accomplish that end.

I have known many Iranians and every one of them hate Jimmy Carter to the core. Of course, they are the ones who got out after Carter undercut the Shah even though the US was responsible for putting him in.

[uote]FWIW, too, Iran is basically sandwiched between two huge American armies right now (in Iraq to the west and Afghanistan to the east). Anyone could be forgiven a little paranoia under those circumstances.

The thing WE should be worried about is a state that funds terrorism as well as spreads a form of Islam that preaches world domination and subjugation of all peoples under Sharia law -- that country is Saudi Arabia.

The Talibans in Afghanistan and Wazeristan hate the Shia populations of Iraq and Iran. Why do you tink they target suicide bombers against the Shia in Iraq so much? If Afghanistan falls back tothe Taliban Iran has as much to fear as we do.

Wasn't President Carter the President of the United States when hostages were taken in embassy and left there for half his presidency?

I seem to recall that in the history books.

Ben Raines

History books? I can well remember it from the nightly news.

BTW, the goal was to get the Embassy prisoners out alive.

Nope ... I think they knew that Reagan would come after the hostages with guns blazing that got them out.

My recollection is that Carter did go in with guns blazing, and got his posterior handed to him after the desert sands broke down our shiny new military equipment.

Really, though--Iran's options were to kill all the hostages (an act of war, even to Carter--and while sandstorms can bog down special ops forces with helicopters on a rescue mission, they don't do much against high-flying B-52s on strategic bombing raids) or to let them go eventually. Much as I love Ronaldus Magnus, I don't think we can credit him or his electoral victory with resolving this particular crisis.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

The problem in Iran goes back to the USA’s support of the Shaw and our current policies in Bahrain demonstrate that we still have not learned our lesson concerning human rights, and politics based instead on money and power. We have made so many blunders in foreign policy in the Persian Gulf area by democratic and republican leaders it is only by our money and power that we have any presents at all. Beyond our money we have no political friends at all in that area.

The interesting thing to me is that the people of the Gulf (including Iran) area do not hate the citizens of the USA. Our music, factions and philosophy is having a tremendous impact in shaping and influencing the evolution of ideas there. Most realize that Americans are ignorant of what is happening as well as the long history of that area. The only real positive to the Gulf mess is that through it all there has never been a political friendship develop between the Gulf countries and India. If such a freak of nature should ever happen – it will change the world.

The Traveler

Just wondering??? How many on this forum are aware of current and recent events in Bahrain and what the USA's involvement is with the current ruler of Bahrain - as well as what political connections the ruler of Bahrain has had and currently has? If you know what is going on do you fault Iran at all for wanting to develop WMD's?

One last question - is any one aware of what the LDS church is currently doing in Bahrain?

The Traveler

Via Google I see that the Church has a rather large stake in Bahrain. Is that what you were thinking of?

Wikipedia says that Iran funded a group that engineered a failed coup against the Khalifah family back in 1981. As for American connections, all I can find is that Bahrain's current king attended military schools in the UK and the US.