LDS Bodyguards

The answer is yes, they do. In fact the church has an entire security department which deals with all sorts of security related issues regarding the church. The first presidency all have trained bodyguards and the security department also deal with things like printable temple recommends off the internet, looking into a countries security details and risk areas before sending high profile members over there and investigating cases of missionaries who are in danger. A lot of the security department is actually voluntary, however those protecting high risk areas (such as the first presidency directly) will be paid and highly trained. They also indrectly oversee security of high profile church buildings, such as temples. Though each temple has an on site security team, they coordinate with the main security department of the church.

Hope this helps.

EDIT: Just thought I'd add, they only have the best protecting the first presidency. Yes, they are all church members and they all believe that the people they are protecting are more important than the president of the USA himself and would do anything in order to protect them as they are Gods servants. The secret service have no such feelings to the people they protect. They do it because they have to.

Edited by Mahone

All I can say is ditto to Mahone.

My older brother had the opportunity to guard the Pres. of the United States at Camp David. He was not active but I remember a conversation we had. He stated that it would be a higher honor and a far better priviledge to guard a Prophet of God then the Pres. of the United States.

I had a chance to meet one of Hughes' "Mormon Mafia" several years ago. He wasn't really trained in "security", and a lot of his fellow "Mormon mafiosos" weren't, either--I got the impression that a lot/most of them started working for Hughes in other capacities, and sort of fell into the whole "personal assistant/security" role.

I had the opportunity a few years ago to help in providing security to President Monson, I believe while a member of the First Presidency, in Fresno, CA when he came to speak. He traveled with one bodyguard. The bodyguard worked with our detail leader, a full time police officer, along with several other full time police officers and reserve police officers. The meeting was held in a large indoor sports arena. Could hold about 20,000 people.

The bodyguard told our leader that we would do the following our leader responded that since he was in our town and we knew the area we would do it our way. Bodyguard agreed. We had a lead car, a follow car and the car that President Monson rode it. We had a private entrance that he entered and left from. While I remember the talk being very good I did not see it as we all had our backs turned to President Monson so we could see if anyone was trying to approach him.

It was a great experience.

There are always available missions on the missionary opportunity board to provide security at temples both in the US and outside the country. For former police and military personel there are lots of missionary opportunities to provide security to church property througout the world.

Ben Raines

I am told that those few members of security who are armed, carry Glocks. I can't be totally sure that isn't just wishful thinking mixed with urban myth though.

I'm reasonably certain there's no truth at all to the rumor that their handguns are white, for appropriate carrying in the temple.

:lol:

LM

(hangs out on 2 of the 3 LDS gun nut boards I know about)

I know Pres Hinckley used to give his security fits by popping out of his car before they could open the door for him. He loved the members so much he was always way ahead of everyone waving his cane. How I miss that wonderful man.

Lol he reminded me a bit of my grandad. He died back in 2005 but in the couple of years before his death and had to use a walking stick (cane as you call it) and he would have sword fights with his younger grandchildren with it. It's funny how some old people get bitter about their disabilities as they get older and others just find the funny side of everything. President Hinckley was one of the latter group.