Are these drinks ok in the church?

Shaunboulton

Yeah, I'm going with only in your area. I know (served with) plenty of missionaries who drank plenty of Dr. Pepper and Mt. Dew. (Although the MTC is about the only place you can find caffeine-free Barq's...nasty!)

The mission handbooks I've seen specifically state they are not to drink caffeinated drinks. But as I said, those handbooks were designed for those specific missions. Each mission president to his own I guess. However, to say that because a missionary (or even several missionaries) do something does not necessarily mean it is allowed. A very commonly disobeyed rule is getting up at 6:30am on P-Days (like every other day) . This applies in most missions, unless the local mission president has good reason to change it for his area. However a great deal of missionaries have a lie in on P-Day. I used to believe it was allowed due to the amount that did it, but it isn't. There are actually few missionaires who obey every rule down to a T throughout the entire two years they are out in the field.

Edited by Mahone

The mission handbooks I've seen specifically state they are not to drink caffeinated drinks. But as I said, those handbooks were designed for those specific missions. Each mission president to his own I guess. However, to say that because a missionary (or even several missionaries) do something does not necessarily mean it is allowed. A very commonly disobeyed rule is getting up at 6:30am on P-Days (like every other day) . This applies in most missions, unless the local mission president has good reason to change it for his area. However a great deal of missionaries have a lie in on P-Day. I used to believe it was allowed due to the amount that did it, but it isn't. There are actually few missionaires who obey every rule down to a T throughout the entire two years they are out in the field.

The white missionary handbook distributed at the MTC (regardless of which mission you are going to) has been modified at least once since I got mine, but nowhere did it discuss caffeinated beverages.

(As a side note, the way my companions and I got around the 6:30 rule on preparation days was that we got up at 6:30, ate breakfast, read scriptures, and then went back to bed. At that point it was considered a nap.)

The white missionary handbook distributed at the MTC (regardless of which mission you are going to) has been modified at least once since I got mine, but nowhere did it discuss caffeinated beverages.

(As a side note, the way my companions and I got around the 6:30 rule on preparation days was that we got up at 6:30, ate breakfast, read scriptures, and then went back to bed. At that point it was considered a nap.)

I'm not referring to that one. That's a global handbook. I'm referring to the local mission handbook, the one that introduces missionaries to the area and explains local mission rules, just for that mission. The ones for the local missions here say that caffeinated drinks are banned.

I don't know whether what you did is bending the rules or whether napping is an acceptable thing to do on preperation day, however many missionaries just don't get up on time at all. This is considered normal among many of them. A lot of mission presidents turn a blind eye to it as well.

Actually caffeine in the long run makes ADD worse. It's because that over time you build up tolerance to the caffeine so you have to consome more and more of it in order for it to have the same effect. It also reduces blood flow to the brain. The problem with ADD is that there is not enough blood flow to the prefrontal cortex of the brain, that's the front part, when the person with ADD tries to concentrate. In a normal person blood flow increases during concentration tasks in that part of the brain, in the ADD person it decreases. So the problem with ADD is that there's not enough blood flow to the brain, but caffeine decreases blood flow to the brain. Therefore caffeine is not beneficial to anyone who has ADD. While yes, in small, infrequent amounts caffeine can be beneficial as Mahone has described, but someone with ADD needs consistent, constant help. That is something caffeine can not help with. Milk chocolate should be the extent of caffeine consumption in a person with ADD.

Strange, I was not aware that neuroscience had even conclusively pinpointed any physiological mechanism responsible for ADD. Guess all the medical and psychological expert who even question the basic premise of ADD just aren't very informed.:rolleyes:

By the way, you can't be on ritalin and compete in the Olympics becaue it is a banned substance.

Yeah, I'm going with only in your area. I know (served with) plenty of missionaries who drank plenty of Dr. Pepper and Mt. Dew. (Although the MTC is about the only place you can find caffeine-free Barq's...nasty!)

My parents were instructed to not drink caffeinated sodas on their mission. It was not an issue since they have always followed that counsel since the church first advised against it.

Guest missingsomething

Here is a thought.

The word of wisdom is in the BOM. When you go for a temple recommend, it does not ask if you substain from caffine. For now, all you have to do is the minimum to claim the Celest. Kingdom. So drink caff. = get min. blessings. This is one of those laws that I believe people can follow it more strictly and should and maybe even held accountable to do so later - if they are at a spiritual place in their life where they can do this.

I personally - have no doctrine to back this up - but I personally look at the word of wisdom as a way that we can prolong our lives here and the longer were are here the better our chance of "perfecting ourselves".

Plus, caffine is very addicting and has severe withdrawls. If you can avoid it, why not and then just reap the "extra blessings". But if you do drink it - try to moderate it. And mercy sakes, if thats the WORSE thing someone does! Its funny we spend so much time debating the caffinee issue -yet we think nothing of oh... not reading your scriptures daily, or being critical of someone (in a non-Christlike way). Hmmm, things that make you go Hmmm.

Edited by missingsomething

The only way I could lay off diet cola is if my inner pharisee would quit being so lazy and kick into high drive. Do you think any of those energy drinks could help with that?

This should do the trick Moksha!

Posted Image

Your motivation to NOT drink diet cola will only hold up for 5 hours per bottle, so you'd better buy a lot of them!

The only way I could lay off diet cola is if my inner pharisee would quit being so lazy and kick into high drive. Do you think any of those energy drinks could help with that?

Pharistar might do the trick, or maybe Mormster would be more to your liking. Oh, and don't forget Twelve Bull, it gives you wings!

Just listen to these customer testimonials:

"After a Twelve Bull I had the energy to tract 200 houses in one hour!" - Elder Figpickle; Cour`de Lane, Idaho

"I couldn't do my calling as a Relief Society President without my twice daily Mormster, well and the Lord of course!" - Sister Krazinski; Brigham City, Utah

"After a PHaristar I had the energy to judge and berate the entire Elders Quorum for not doing their home teach, and I hadn't even done my own!" - Brother Young; St. George, Utah

:D

My parents were instructed to not drink caffeinated sodas on their mission. It was not an issue since they have always followed that counsel since the church first advised against it.

The Church never advised against caffeine. The Church advised against consumption of anything with addictive properties, in a manner that could result in addiction.

Here is a thought.

The word of wisdom is in the BOM.

Doctrine and Covenants, actually. :)

The Church never advised against caffeine. The Church advised against consumption of anything with addictive properties, in a manner that could result in addiction.

Doctrine and Covenants, actually. :)

Not caffeine, just drinks containing habit forming drugs, which would include caffeine like coke, pepsi, etc. My mom also said that there was something published in a church magazine, but it was long before I ever existed.

Strange, I was not aware that neuroscience had even conclusively pinpointed any physiological mechanism responsible for ADD. Guess all the medical and psychological expert who even question the basic premise of ADD just aren't very informed.:rolleyes:

By the way, you can't be on ritalin and compete in the Olympics becaue it is a banned substance.

Before you roll your eyes at me, please, do some research.

There ARE physiological reasons why people have ADD, depression, and a host of other issues that are considered simply psychological.

Please read this: SPECT Atlas | Amen Clinics Especially the sections about normal brains and ADD brains and what a SPECT scan is.

Or, if reading bores you please watch the following: YouTube - Broadcast Yourself.

Basically what it boils down to is that there's more to ADD and other such psychological issues than experiences.

• 1 year later...

As people are writing, there are alot of members that drink it in the church too. Personally, i've always instantly though of "going the extra mile", and to me that is to just stay away from those grey areas. Not that i mind other people doing it, it is ofcourse an individual choice to make.

Milluw I appreciate your comment.

Since this thread is over a year old and this subject has been started at LEAST 10 times since then, I am now closing.