Swimsuit Question for the Young women

dlk08

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not a young woman; but I'm married to someone who likes to think of herself as a relatively young woman. Bikinis as I understand it are almost universally frowned upon in Mormon culture. I think "tankinis" are kind of a gray area; though my wife personally disapproves of them.

i like "tankini's" personally. i find they cover more and better than normal "one peices". maybe that's just me though. if you can get the cute little bottoms with a skirt, then the "tank" part for the top.

i'm not a fan of bikini's though, on anyone. why anyone would want to show that much of their body is beyond me.

Pres McKay and his counselors published the following in the new (at that time) For the Strength of Youth;

“Any bathing suit which immodestly exposes the body, such as bikinis or those with bare midriffs, etc., should not be worn. Swim suits are fashioned for a particular purpose and should not be worn as casual dress for summer, but should be worn only for swimming. While traveling to and from the beach or swimming pools, young men and women should be fully dressed, or at least their swimming suits should be covered with outer clothing.”

The wording for the most recent version is not spelled out like this but having read both I think that they are now calling the youth to choose to live a higher standard. They have been taught and they know who they are and what is expected. I know from watching the girls come to church in their prom gowns when they have chosen a more worldy style they are VERY uncomfortable. And this is exactly what is addressed in the 2008 publication ... "How would you feel wearing this style in the presence of the Savior?"

The only way a biniki would do a good job covering up is if the top and bottoms met in the middle!

I was actually studying this topic a while back while studying the topic of avoiding deception. The topic of bikinis seemed to be a great example of others trying to decieve us. There is a part of the church that say that wearing bikinis are ok, and another part that say it is an abomination.

Here is a quote from President Benson about deception and what we should do when we have so many different answers.

“May I suggest three short tests to avoid being deceived. . . .

“1. What do the standard works have to say about it? . . .

“2. The second guide is: what do the latter-day Presidents of the Church have to say on the subject—particularly the living President? . . .

“3. The third and final test is the Holy Ghost. . . . This test can only be fully effective if one’s channels of communication with God are clean and virtuous and uncluttered with sin.”

Ezra Taft Benson, Conference Report, Oct 1963, 16-17

So, I went to the scriptures with the question about bikinis. As you might guess there is not much on the topic of bikinis, but I did find a few things on apparal.

D&C 42:40

D&C 133:5

Alma 1:27

Alma 4:6

1 Timothy 2:9-10

1 Corinthians 7:31

Now the For Strength of Youth is also considered scripture, because it comes from our inspired prophets. Here is what the old version and the new version have to say about the topic.

OLD:

“If you wear an immodest bathing suit because it's "the style," it sends a message that you are using your body to get attention and approval, and that modesty is not important.

Immodest clothing includes short shorts, tight pants, and other revealing attire. Young women should refrain from wearing off-the-shoulder, low-cut, or revealing clothes.”

NEW:

“Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire. Young women should wear clothing that covers the shoulder and avoid clothing that is low-cut in the front or the back or revealing in any other manner …

You can ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?”

The second step to avoiding deception is listening to what the modern prophets have to say. Here are a few quotes that I have found in my research, one was mentioned in an earlier post.

Brigham Young – “I am ashamed to see the tight clothes, to see the shape of the ladies.”

Joseph F. Smith – “Are you—a woman—willing to go before your Maker and be judged in the clothes you have on?

David O. McKay – “Any bathing suit which immodestly exposes the body, such as bikinis or those with bare midriffs, etc., should not be worn. Swim suits are fashioned for a particular purpose and should not be worn as casual dress for summer, but should be worn only for swimming. While traveling to and from the beach or swimming pools, young men and women should be fully dressed, or at least their swimming suits should be covered with outer clothing.”

Taken from a New Era article titled, “Fads and Faith,” New Era, Oct. 1971, 15

My students always say, well those were quotes from a long time ago. Here is a more modern quote from Elder Holland.

“The For the Strength of Youth pamphlet is very clear in its call for young women to avoid clothing that is too tight, too short, or improperly revealing in any manner, including bare midriffs.”

Jeffery R. Holland, “To Young Women,” Ensign, Oct. 2005

The third step is very important and a lot easier if you have done the first two. That is to listen to the Holy Ghost. I like this quote from the First Presidency in 1971.

“You don’t need to be told how many inches or what kind of swimming suit. You aren’t a good servant if you must be commanded in all these things.”

Taken from a New Era article titled, “Fads and Faith,” New Era, Oct. 1971, 15

So, there is no clear answer, but that is so we can use our agency righteously. I think the best answer came from :

As a man, I can't proclaim my praises for bikinis enough...but be warned that if you're wearing one I'm probably not at all listening to what you're saying. Does that help answer your question?

I personaly would not want my daughter to dress in a bikini or a tanki. Those both really are not designed for swimming, but rather showing off their body, but that is for you to judge and not others. Follow the Spirit and He will let you know what you should do.

personally I think with a tankini vs a one piece bathing suit it will depend on your body shape which is the most modest - for me as a teen a tankini was more modest as a pregnant 32 year old a one piece wins lol

Look at your body and decide which you feel the most comfortable in and look the most modest in. Like with many styles of clothes what is modest is down to how you look lol

-Charley

Some LDS swimwear is preferred more than others

Posted Image

LOL Moksha not sure those waistlines are decent

Does make the interesting point that tankinis and sarongs werent a huge consideration for President MacKay because they were not widely used a bikini in his day was a revealing 2 piece.

-Charley

I didn't grow up LDS, at your age I wouldn't have been caught dead in a one-piece. Each summer I bought probably a half a dozen bikini's, and I don't think i've ever owned anything else.

With that being said, I didn't have the perspective you have being a teen in the church. I know most other girls wear them, but most other girls don't have the divine inspiration of the lord available to them through our prophets.

If your parents offer no preferences in regards to swimsuit choices, then you have to make the choice yourself. Take the information you have regarding the issue and pray about it.

If you are still unsure, why not try a tankini or monokini? It shows significantly less skin, but is a lot more fashionable. I own monokinis now, they cover up my c-section scar. :lol:

I'm just amused that there are more men responding to the thread than women.

As an LDS man with a strong sense of the importance of modest in apparel, I can say this much. I won't wear a bikini! Not ever! One piece and topless all the way baby!!

i like "tankini's" personally. i find they cover more and better than normal "one peices". maybe that's just me though. if you can get the cute little bottoms with a skirt, then the "tank" part for the top.

i'm not a fan of bikini's though, on anyone. why anyone would want to show that much of their body is beyond me.

I'm not a young woman....I'm not even a woman. But I agree with this post. Tankinis are the most modest and look the best. If I were a woman hankerin for a good swimsuit....I would go with a tankini. Many have skirt bottoms or shorts. I better go now.....I'm feelin' a little weird. :eek:

I didn't grow up LDS, at your age I wouldn't have been caught dead in a one-piece. Each summer I bought probably a half a dozen bikini's, and I don't think i've ever owned anything else.

With that being said, I didn't have the perspective you have being a teen in the church. I know most other girls wear them, but most other girls don't have the divine inspiration of the lord available to them through our prophets.

If your parents offer no preferences in regards to swimsuit choices, then you have to make the choice yourself. Take the information you have regarding the issue and pray about it.

If you are still unsure, why not try a tankini or monokini? It shows significantly less skin, but is a lot more fashionable. I own monokinis now, they cover up my c-section scar. :lol:

so, being unsure what a monokini was...i looked it up on google. and got a wikipedia page...which says a monokini is mostly referred to as a "topless bikini"...or women who go topless at the beach wear "monokinis"...i'm so confused!

so, being unsure what a monokini was...i looked it up on google. and got a wikipedia page...which says a monokini is mostly referred to as a "topless bikini"...or women who go topless at the beach wear "monokinis"...i'm so confused!

I Googled "monokini" and then looked at the images -- they're not topless. They're one-piece suits with really weird cuts, and I think I would be very confused trying to figure out how to put one on. Personally I think they're really really ugly.

As for me, I've got a one piece. I'm an old-fashioned gal. The next suit I buy might be a tankini, though, because they're really cute, and they're plenty modest (as long as you're not going down a water slide...I had a friend who did that once and completely lost her tankini top! :eek:).

If you're looking for modest, attractive swimwear, I highly recommend LL Bean's Women's Swimwear. It's modest, it's not frumpy, and it's lifetime guaranteed. (I don't work for them, I just love their products.)

Mono is the skkeing shoe in finnish.. so I am even MORE confused!!:eek:

I ahd no problem when I was young never ysed a bikini. How ever I do own one.. I think and use it in our summerhome. But I really would not wear a bikini in bublic. I spear the guys for the seene. :P

Nowadays they finally seem to have the kind of swimmingsuits that I like in the stores. A good top that has place for me and a buttom with kind of hot pants.:) Before if you got the hotpant bottom... the topp was ... nonexictent or if the top was good you blottet your hiny.:mad:

Someone said here something about buying qute buttoms... I`d like to buy one...:D

Guest Alana

rash guard and board shorts for the win!

Modesty is a real issue. Trivializing it or ignoring it is doing like wise with your self worth. What you wear as a young women (or married women or whatever kind of women) really makes a difference to how you're treated and viewed. Not saying it's fair or good or whatever, it just is that way.

The next suit I buy might be a tankini, though, because they're really cute, and they're plenty modest

I just googled that and am confused on why showing cleavage while covering the stomach is more modest then showing cleavage and stomach?

I have no issues with either:D but when did the stomach become the new cleavage?

'