Swimsuit Question for the Young women

dlk08

I have heard more new words in this one post than I have heard in a long time, what are rash guards? I opened this post to see what others thought because my wife and I have differing opinions, I always thought that the best thing was shorts and a shirt for men and women, maybe taking the shirts off and having a sports bra for women and no shirt for men, and my wife thinks its allright to wear tiny bikinis.

Hordak the cleavage debate, Im with you, I dont know why showing off the chest but covering the stomach is modest, Ive even started seeing "soft tissue" at sacrament meeting.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

From For the Strength of Youth:

LDS.org - Youth Chapter Detail - Dress and Appearance 

"Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, . . ."

If it doesn't cover the stomach then I'd say its not up to LDS standards. I also feel showing cleavage is inappropriate too.

My daughter, age 21, never even asked to wear a two piece even a tankini. She wore drag shorts with her one piece. (she was on the swim team throughout high school)

I wear a one piece with a skirt that ties on.

applepansy

from wikipedia (and we all know we can trust EVERYTHING we read on wiki)

A monokini, sometimes referred to as a unikini, is a woman's one-piece garment equivalent to the lower half of a bikini. This usage of bikini leaves the breasts uncovered. [1] The term monokini is also now used too for any topless swimsuit,[2] particularly a bikini bottom worn without a bikini top.

Monokini - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My DD likes the board shorts and rashguard look, too. She's a very young woman (8) LOL. It suits her sporty outlook, and offers more sun protection.

A rashguard is a top that is made of swimsuit fabric but looks like the top part of a wetsuit; it keeps you from getting a rash while you paddle out for the next wave!

I just googled that and am confused on why showing cleavage while covering the stomach is more modest then showing cleavage and stomach?

There are a variety of tankini styles that do not have plunging necklines. I would buy one that had a modest neckline. I guess I assumed that was a given. Apparently not, though.

Face there aren't that many bodies out there that should go uncovered ... even if it were within the church standards. When in Mexico last fall (2007) we came upon a whole bunch (100+) of people dancing in the street to protest something ... stark naked ... talk about culture shock! Bikinis would have been soooooo welcome!

Monokini must mean different things to different peole. Here they are a kind of joined together bikini but with less material than the average bikini. They have cut away sections and very low cut front sometimes right down to the navel and beyond. They are far more erotically provocative than a bikini.

A tankini can be more modest than a one-piece suit. It depends on the design.

Edited by moderator: Please try to stay somewhat on topic without disgusting the rest of us.

Say what? I was merely making a reference to a very popular TV program which an active LDS actor was featured without a shirt and describing some of the plot. Would it have been different if it were an LDS actress with a bikini? Wasn't one of the Baywatch girls LDS? How about that play with Donny Osmond?

If wearing, or not wearing, an outfit on TV or stage is not something that church officials are going to jump on you for then how can wearing a bikini at the beach something you should feel ashamed of as if it were a "sin"?

Now I admit that someone should not be punished for wanting to be less revealing either. Swedish swimmer Therese Alshammar was disqualified from a record performance by the International Swimming Federation for wearing suits under her official skin tight competition suit. They claimed it might allow for extra boyancy and that you can wear a bikini bottom underneath (not top) while she claimed the official suits are too thin and she wanted more modesty. I also beleive there was a Muslim woman swimmer somewhere in the USA who wanted to wear a suit covering her whole body but that was also against the rules. Oh well.

Edited by Fiannan
inappropriate references to gays

Hidden

Was watching Tv last night and an LDS actor was featured in a bed, no shirt on, and the plot was that he had cheated on his boyfriend with a woman.

Not sure how this fits in to the topic but...

Well as any decent actor knows, when you're performing, you are the character, not yourself.

Daniel Day-Lewis doesn't bludgeon people to death in the name of becoming an oil baron, but his character does. See what I mean?

So I don't exactly understand your point, but in the defense of an LDS actor portraying things an LDS person wouldn't/shouldn't do...the art of acting is to bring a character to and his/her situations to life. To become that person, and show their story and journey to the world. A good actor leaves themselves behind when they hit the stage/set.

Again, people don't pay to see Daniel Day-Lewis in a fuuny hat and moustache, they pay to see Daniel Plainview in his ruthless path to wealth and power.

In summation, the actor and the character are two entirely different people.

With the whole obesity thing in the USA, Mexico and Britain nowadays, and men developing men-breasts (not sure the censors here want the actual term used) shouldn't fat guys also have to cover their breasts?

You seem to be stuck on sticking it to the obese.

I suspect it is best for all of us to cover up in outdoor settings to lessen the cumulative damage to the skin that such exposure produces.

Save the skimpies for the indoor pools. Longer shorts and a t-shirt, along with high protection sunscreen will help.

:)

I have to throw in on this discussion. The women of my particular genetic makeup have longer torsos than most found in stores, so tankinis have been a lifesaver for us. I pick out only those with high necks and low (boy-shorts) bottoms for my daughter and I. Seriously, in the days before tankinis I was either flashing people from the top or from the bottom, so was constantly wearing tshirts. Bikinis, no way. And don't get me started on the bottomless bottoms.

Guest Alana

My DD likes the board shorts and rashguard look, too. She's a very young woman (8) LOL. It suits her sporty outlook, and offers more sun protection.

At first I was thinking 'wow, with double d's you better cover up!' my bad...

Guest Alana

What about kevlar suits? Would they be of any protection against Satan in the waters? Could this protection be enhanced by adding the letters C T R in big bold red print?

Not sure about Satan, but I'm getting some for the zombie outbreak that's going to happen any day now....

So I get that we (women) have been advised to not wear bikini type swimwear... but is it a sin?

We are advised to not get piercing but obviously that is not a sin.

Is it any different with bathing suits? Or facial hair, or not wearing a white shirt?

You seem to be stuck on sticking it to the obese.

You're just now getting this? Even though you're a little late to the party, we're glad you're here at all. :)

So I get that we (women) have been advised to not wear bikini type swimwear... but is it a sin?

Is it any different with bathing suits? Or facial hair, or not wearing a white shirt?

Part of the point is that we have been counseled by our prophet to dress modestly, including not wearing revealing swimwear, and not having multiple piercings. Those things in an of themselves may or may not be sins, but when our prophet directs us, and we disobey, I daresay that is a sin.

Edited by john doe
removed quote from previously deleted post

Yeah, monokini must mean something different here. The monokini swimsuits girls wear here are just a one piece, with fabric cut out on various areas. The one I just bought looks like a regular one piece from the front, but looks like a bikini from the back.

I see the monokinis that are like plunging necklines sometimes too, but not very often. The ones I think you are talking about are almost more risque than a bikini in my mind.

Here's the one i just got.

Shop clothes for women, men, maternity, baby, and kids | Gap

20$ at the gap, score.

I've never heard of takini's being forbidden from youth activities. A lot of tankinis cover more than one pieces.

I guess it comes down to this: Is there any reason we shouldn't all go running around naked all the time? Would that be wrong?

The trick is, one-piece or two-piece irrespective, women's swimsuits are shrinking and shrinking. Many cover so little, they might as well not be there. So where do you draw the line? And yes, I suppose the question has to be answered: Where to you cross the line into being sinful in your apparel?

If we're being honest, in almost every case, the whole point of wearing a bikini is to expose as much of a girl's body as possible, because they know it will likely get noticed and admired by guys. Wouldn't that equate to vanity and lust? Those are sins.

I'm sure that a lot of girls will deny it though. It's all about tanning and stuff, bla, bla, bla. Girls aren't nearly that stupid. They KNOW that a girl with a great body in a tiny bikini is going to get noticed by all the boys, and they all want to be the girl getting noticed by all the boys.

Edited by Faded

I've never heard of takini's being forbidden from youth activities. A lot of tankinis cover more than one pieces.

It also keeps from YW being given an inch and taking a mile. If you make a rule that only one piece swimsuits at girls camp..you have hopefully taken action to keep the suits modest. Unfortunately there are those who would take advantage of the two piece tankini and press the boundaries on it.

That's why several stakes in my area that jointly do girls camp came out with this rule.