Swimsuit Question for the Young women

dlk08

So I get that we (women) have been advised to not wear bikini type swimwear... but is it a sin?

We are advised to not get piercing but obviously that is not a sin.

Is it any different with bathing suits? Or facial hair, or not wearing a white shirt?

I would hope that anyone wearing a bikini would have a clean-shaven chin....and a nice white shirt :P

Sin is in the mind of the wearer sometimes. What is the motivation for wearing a bikini? A tankini? A one-piece?

I cannot think someone could swim in the ocean or go surfing with any great degree of confidence wearing a bikini. But then again the women's beach volleyball association thinks the players can play hardcore volleyball in them so maybe I'm totally wrong.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So I get that we (women) have been advised to not wear bikini type swimwear... but is it a sin?

We are advised to not get piercing but obviously that is not a sin.

Is it any different with bathing suits? Or facial hair, or not wearing a white shirt?

I think the key question is, "with what attitude are you doing it?"

If you're just trying to "twist the lion's tail", so to speak, then I'd say that yes; it's a sin.

If it was just a matter of having to use the last clean shirt in the closet, or the only bathing suit you could find at the store that fit you (but you wear a shirt over it, or whatever, as I've seen some girls do), or you live in a culture where multiple piercings is the norm, I'd say no big deal.

I've very much enjoyed reading this thread... had some good laughs. I'm glad to see that we can all manage to voice our (some times differing) opinions and still be civil and crack a few jokes in the process. Naturally, much of the conversation has focused on modesty, and rightly so. Here's my input on the topic of swimsuits and modesty:

Modesty is determined much more by the person wearing the suit, and much less by the suit itself.

I've seen girls wearing one piece swim suits that would pass any LDS Church Leader's standard of modesty, but the girls inside the swimsuit were anything but. The way they walk and swing their hips, their deep (fake) tans, the "come hither" looks on their faces and in their eyes, and most of all the words coming out of their mouths all screamed "I'M IMMODEST!!"

I've also seen girls in tankinis and bikinis that would have been rejected from some church activities based on their swimsuits, but who were pure gems, total sweethearts, and wonderfully innocent and sweet.

Which of these two girls would you want at YOUR young woman's pool party?

Last spring when I took my oldest to buy a new suit she asked me what kind she "had" to buy. I told her I didn't care, and she could get whatever kind she wanted. The look on her face was disbelief mingled with slight suspicion, but I assured her that I knew she was a modest girl, and that wearing a swim suit that was a once-piece or two-piece was not going to change that. At the store she must have tried on fifty kinds of all shapes and sizes, and when we left she was the happy new owner of a one-piece that would have made even the most conservative Mormon mother happy.

Janice

Edited by Janice

Part of the point is that we have been counseled by our prophet to dress modestly, including not wearing revealing swimwear, and not having multiple piercings. Those things in an of themselves may or may not be sins, but when our prophet directs us, and we disobey, I daresay that is a sin.

I am not sure about this. If we are given a doctrine, and we go against it then that may indeed be a sin but if we are given advice, and we do something else, I don't think that is a sin -- or else all the Mormons, and there must have been thousands in California, that voted against Prop. 8 were sinning. I think they were mistaken, but they were not sinning.

Just today, a friend of mine asked me if I thought the picture she sent me in my e-mail wold be a good tatoo desingn for her to get. I didn't like the picture so I said I would look around the net and send her some pics that I thought would better reflect her personality. Am I sinning? Now, if by the slim chance she decided to get it, and even asked me to be there when she got it, would I be sinning if I accepted?:cool:

And I repeat myself here -- if wearing a two piece for a woman, or going shirtless if you are a man, is sinful then why don't male and female LDS models, actors and actresses get into trouble when they appear in photo-shoots shirtless or in a bikini?

This is not going to change no matter what type of suit a girl wears. Girls and their swimsuits are not responsible for the thoughts of boys.

I agree - I find a man in a braces very sexually attractive (suspenders in the US), I don't think I should blame the priesthood holder wearing them on a Sunday if I have inappropriate thoughts or should I?

-Charley

Part of the point is that we have been counseled by our prophet to dress modestly, including not wearing revealing swimwear, and not having multiple piercings. Those things in an of themselves may or may not be sins, but when our prophet directs us, and we disobey, I daresay that is a sin.

We've had this discussion before, just on different topics. Is it a sin to not take the advice of a prophet? To each his his own, but I think it's important to ask yourself this question: What prophetic advice has been given that you choose to not follow?

How's your food storage? How often do you go to the temple? Are you a 100% visiting (home) teacher every month? Do you read and pray daily? Do you journal? Do you do your genealogy? Do you have 72 hour kits for each member of your family? Do you ever watch R rated movies? How about R rated TV shows, books, video games, thoughts? When was the last time you bought something at a store on Sunday? Do you magnify your calling? Have you ever said 'No' to a calling? Do you pay a truly generous fast offering? When was the last time you referred a friend to the missionaries?

Nobody but nobody follows 100% of the advice given to us by church leaders, and I am just not willing to label 100% of the LDS population as sinners. We *are* all sinners, of course... each and every one of us. But that does not mean I am going to point my finger at anyone (or any group) based on their actions and label them as such.

An LDS girl who wears a bikini to the beach is not sinning just because she is wearing a bikini, in my opinion.

Janice

Edited by Janice

I agree - I find a man in a braces very sexually attractive (suspenders in the US), I don't think I should blame the priesthood holder wearing them on a Sunday if I have inappropriate thoughts or should I?

-Charley

Oh Charley! For Shame! You and this man should both be flogged in public! (But while fully clothed, or that would be immodest.)

This is not going to change no matter what type of suit a girl wears. Girls and their swimsuits are not responsible for the thoughts of boys.

Well, they are responsible in a "proximate-cause" sort of way. But not necessarily responsible in a "culpable/accountable" sort of way. Unless they knew the reaction their swimsuit would cause, and wore the suit specifically because they wanted to elicit that kind of reaction.

Charley--good heavens. I wear braces* to Church every Sunday, but I usually keep my suit jacket on over them. Am I sinning?

*Technically, there's a difference between "braces" and "suspenders" in the US. Braces button into the pants inside the waistband. Suspenders attach to the waistband by metal clips.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

LOL well he would have to have his shirt and trousers on as well.

-Charley

Truth is, I have always liked the looks of suspenders on a well dressed man... a crisp, heavily starched, cleanly pressed white shirt, a snazzy silk tie, suspenders, black pants with shinny patten leather shoes.... mmmmm! I've suggested to my hubby that he wear suspenders, only to receive a blank stare in return.

Someone should alert Church Headquarters... they need to issue a "suggestion" that men should not wear them, as they cause women to have impure thoughts.

Janice

Edited by Janice

Guest Alana

Someone should alert Church Headquarters... they need to issue a "suggestion" that men should not wear them, as they cause women to have impure thoughts.

Janice

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA:p:p:p^_^^_^^_^

That is too funny. Suspenders, who would have thought?!

I'm still trying to get my man into dress shoes. He was even married in his work shoes with no tie.

Truth is, I have always liked the looks of suspenders on a well dressed man... a crisp, heavily starched, cleanly pressed white shirt, a snazzy silk tie, suspenders, black pants with shinny patten leather shoes.... mmmmm! I've suggested to my hubby that he wear suspenders, only to receive a blank stare in return.

Janice

There's no way you're going to be able to offer instruction for what things men should avoid wearing because women are goofy and get turned on by the weirdest things. There is a sweater that I own that my wife insists is "sexy."

As for the ladies and modesty, they already know: Short skirts, tiny bathing suits, pretty much anything that shows off some skin. If some dude is uncontrollably turned on by a woman in a parka, then we know he's just plain weird and we write him off as a hopeless nut-job.

But just about every woman alive has some fully dressed look they think is very irresistible on a man. One is as unexpected as the next. You're never going to win. Just surrender to the weirdness that is woman. They're ALL nuts!! There is no way to keep up with it. There's no chance of knowing them all. Just keep your pants and shirt on lads, and hope for the best!!

Edited by Faded

Janice

Sounds an awful lot like the outfits worn in "A Clockwork Orange".:eek:

-Charley

Posted Image

Tempters of female righteousness

and they know it!

-Charley

I love braces (not in the way you do) but they aren't worn here in the states. With my summer hair cut and Doc Martins people get the wrong idea.:eek:

Janice is right. No one is 100% but shouldn't we be striving to be? If the Prophet suggests we not wear certain piece of clothing or jewelry shouldn't we try to take his councel? Or is that just another thing we pick and choose because we disagree with it? I think that's what this is all coming down to. Picking and choosing.

I wonder if you (or others) really believe that.

The prophet and apostle Paul advised celibacy - I'm going to guess that you aren't celibate or one day will deliberately not be celibate.

Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F. Smith all advised against killing animals - I'm going to guess that you regularly wear and/or use parts of dead animals killed just so their parts could be used by folks like you. Moreover the Church owns and operates a wildlife reserve for the express purpose of making money off killing animals for sport - as well as owning one of the largest cattle farms in the country.

Joseph Smith (God actually) advised against coffee and booze yet members, prophets and apostles continued to drink both for over sixty years. Members ignore the Word of Wisdom, being gluttons in droves and no one (except me) calls it a sin.

President Kimball instructed members to tear down their old barns and out-buildings - were the ones that didn't sinning?

The Church advises against pierced ears - perhaps you or a spouse or family members have pierced ears.

People - including you I'd bet, pick and choose what to listen to and hardly think it a sin.

Janice is right. No one is 100% but shouldn't we be striving to be? If the Prophet suggests we not wear certain piece of clothing or jewelry shouldn't we try to take his councel? Or is that just another thing we pick and choose because we disagree with it? I think that's what this is all coming down to. Picking and choosing.

See my post #70.

I wonder if you (or others) really believe that.

The prophet and apostle Paul advised celibacy - I'm going to guess that you aren't celibate or one day will deliberately not be celibate.

Joseph Smith, Hyrum Smith, Lorenzo Snow, Joseph F. Smith all advised against killing animals - I'm going to guess that you regularly wear and/or use parts of dead animals killed just so their parts could be used by folks like you.

Come on, Snow. You know very well that every one of those commandments was subject to specific limitations. Paul was not advocating celibacy for everyone (even in his own time). Neither Jospeh, Hyrum, Lorenzo, nor Joseph F. were vegans.

Joseph Smith (God actually) advised against coffee and booze yet members, prophets and apostles continued to drink both for over sixty years.

So, yeah, they were sinning.

Members ignore the Word of Wisdom, being gluttons in droves and no one (except me) calls it a sin.

Really? No one? Not even your compatriots over at Sunstone? Must be difficult being a lone voice of righteousness in a church with four-million-odd active members . . .

President Kimball instructed members to tear down their old barns and out-buildings - were the ones that didn't sinning?

I'm unfamiliar with this instruction.

The Church advises against pierced ears - perhaps you or a spouse or family members have pierced ears.

No, it doesn't. It advises against multiple piercings.

Really, Snow--I am somewhat bewildered by your post. In other posts you come across as an extremely well-informed member of the Church. Surely all this misdirection is not intentional?

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Absolutely! We *should* strive to be 100%, and I hope I never said otherwise. All I'm saying is I won't point fingers at someone wearing a bikini and call them a sinner.

That's all.

Janice

Edited by Janice

What if Mormons visited one of those French Riviera beaches and "went native"? I am certain this has happened.

Yes, it has. I've "gone native", but not in France. I lived in Spain during my early teen years (junior high), and whenever our family went to the beach, we all went topless... mom, dad, girls, boys. So did the other female members of our branch, some Spanish, some foreigners. When I tell people about this in the US, most positively freak -- members and non-members alike. The only ones who don't freak are the people who have experienced other cultures first hand themselves. Wasatch Front Mormons positively foam at the mouth.

When we lived in Saudi Arabia, as you can imagine, "going native" meant not leaving the house without a burka. Doing so would have meant arrest and deportation.

I've lived at both ends of the polar opposites... Mediterranean Europe where every beach is topless and many are totally clothing optional, and Saudi Arabia where the very shape and curve of a mature woman's body is a terrible thing to behold. I've known Saudi girls who wear burkas to sneak off to their boy friends house to have sex, and I've known Saudi girls who guard their chastity with their lives. I've know Spanish girls went topless at the beaches and snuck off into the bushes to commit immoral acts with total strangers, and I've known Spanish girls who went topless at the beaches and who kept themselves virgins until the evening after being married in the temple. (For that matter, *I* went topless at the beaches and kept myself a virgin until the evening after being married in the temple. Ok... the afternoon. Early afternoon.)

Having seen how these cultural norms have very little to do with what makes a person truly modest and chaste, I really don't care what kind of bathing suits my kids choose to wear. I DO care, however, that they are modest and chaste, and when they are, I know that the right choices in clothing will follow.

Our focus is not on the clothing. It's on the person. :lol:

Janice

Edited by Janice