Going on amision

Maya

My son is soon (around August) going on the mision... any good advices to a mother. I will post later where to as I can understand, that there is a difference in bying stuff depending on if he goes to a country that has a varm climate or to one with snow...:D But I am sure there are things we can by for him already now... things that can be used in no matter where he goes. Any good ideas how to prepare him mentaly and scriptualy. We are reading the new misionarybook. Anything special they may need on a mision....

My folks teach the temple classes for our ward and are retyurned missionaries them selves. Some of the things they tell those getting ready for a mission are start now. Don't wait until the papers come. Dress the part ... no necessarily suits but dress better than usual, polish your shoes, comb your hair shave every day. Stop dating ... the adversary will begin to work over time and this is one area that he uses. Begin scripture study and prayer like a missionary. Don't leave a relationship hanging ... the total focus should be the mission ... one cannot maintain a relationship and committ themselves totally to the work.

One thing I would say ... they need to make the committment to be humble, loving and obedient. I know of a guy who came home early because he thought the mission rules where "crap". That will follow him forever. Not that anyone else will care but he will remember.

From the very beginning they need to plan to fill a full and honorable mission. I remeber a missionary that was assigned to our ward saying that his father told him not to come home early because if he did he wouldn't have a place to live. Missions can also be a huge blessing if filled properly.

Another missionary came out and was unable to read. The mission Pres promised him that if he would work for nothing but the Lord he would learn to read ... he did and he was a fabulous missionary.

Mom and Dad have their job too. Total support. Write every week and make it positive. The missionary does not need negatives ... a mission isn't easy. Congratultion and good luck to your missionary and your family ... this will be a wonderful adventure for all of you.

Thanks guys... yeee! Now the doctor part is over and it is just decide the language question.. if he is willing to learn a new language... he can a bit spanish (2 years in school) Finish, with mothers milk, English since 4 years of age and school, Norwegean... not sure if he can that tough so well:p Well he wishes to a warmer place. Anyway we believe he will be sent there where he is needed! :)

I remember one young man who said he didn't mind where he got sent on a mission as long as it wasn't London England. When his call came it was to the South East of England, including London. That was when he said he knew the Lord has a sense of humour! He served an honourble mission and thoroughly enjoyed it. Heavenly Father knows where people are needed most and best able to serve. He'll get a list of what he needs to take with him. During his mission he'll probably need more socks.

give him a journal and have him write in it every night. One think I regret. I did however write my mission president often, and I think that is important that he let the mission president know him and what he is doing. it will help so much in his mission to build that bond. One thing I was really amazed with was that my mission president gave me a large package of letters I had written him over the years. What a blessing to go through and re-read what I had written.

Don't waste time on those not interested. Seek and ye shall find those who really want to learn about the gospel of Jesus Christ. But always be searching. There are so many people just hoping to find the truth. Find them!

I definitely agree with the journal suggestion. I started writing in mine a few days before I left on my mission and I love reading those first few days still today. Its interesting to read about how I felt about leaving my friends and not knowing what a mission was going to be like.

• 2 weeks later...

I can further agree with the journal suggestion. I started writing in my journal about 4 years ago and it has changed my life. As a mother, I would suggest make the Gospel very present in your home. Leave the Ensign on the table, play church music in the home, be very supportive of him and always listen to what he has to say.

As far as the logistics, as mentioned before, you'll receive a list of what he'll need when you get the call. :-) Exciting! :-D

He is stil to meet with the stakepresident. The papers will be sent to ... Zürich I think it was and from there on to SL and they are papers so it will take some time.

He has always bene a VERY good boy... only one bad thing, he games too much...

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Prep I will...

Craz... that would be so cool... I also heard of a certain young apologist that is going around same time.

Now there was one Norwegean sent to Russia... I think my son may be next out. Everybody is teasing him about Finland... as he already can the language basics anyway, got them with mothersmilk.... but he really wishes for somewehere warmer. This IS really exciting .. where in the world God wishes him to serve... :)

He is willing to go anywhere!

My son is soon (around August) going on the mision... any good advices to a mother. I will post later where to as I can understand, that there is a difference in bying stuff depending on if he goes to a country that has a varm climate or to one with snow...:D But I am sure there are things we can by for him already now... things that can be used in no matter where he goes. Any good ideas how to prepare him mentaly and scriptualy. We are reading the new misionarybook. Anything special they may need on a mision....

He will need at least a set of smaller quad version with a leather type carrying case that will survive for two-years. Perhaps a good back pack also could be included.

Beside what is already provided as advise, I would have him begin this day in living a missionary life. Preparation is better serve now than later. ;)

• 4 weeks later...

Isnt it typical... he sent a paper to military with Bishop to ask if he can have his military service posponed 2 years. They did not send the papers but waited for the answer... then finally as the answer can ... it did not answer anything... anyway he is probably notto be called to forces any way so they sent finally the papers. Hmm maybe the :satanflame: knows he is my son.... :P

Anyway here, a picture of my missionary... I hope... We did not send this picture

• 3 weeks later...

Nothing yet... He is prepared to take whet ever comes... he does hope to get a way from the northern countries to experience something new.

Norwegean sate is working against our missionaries... those that leave the country right after school is over. They have said that IF you do not begin you studies before you fill 21 (he is 21 as he will start his studies again.... anyway those are not able to apply to the schools with the ones directly from schools with their extram points they have worked for all those school years, but they loose the points and go in line with the older applayers ... for him this means he probably wont get in where he wanted.. computer/tecnical, as there is so many who want there... not directly anyway.:( He is very worried and sadned by that. If he wants in those studies, he sould be on a mission only 1 year.

For many this dont matter, as they dont know where they want ... he knows... but probably wont get there. I wrote to stake if they could make an agreement with this study instance fex that they could apply earlier and then get a year free for ending the mission. :huh:

• 2 weeks later...

He got his call.. he told us the name of the country and we all rushed to teh map... waht was taht you said again.... where is that????

No reason for a big party:huh: ... he takes it as a job. His only wish was not in the northern countries .. he will be sent to Danmark which is a Northern country... MTC probably in Enland... Funny he dont even get to go in ONE new country on his mission!

Everyone was like Danmark... what is that? Maybe I send him to MTC by a bus so he can see Germany, Lichtenstein, France the tunell under the English cahannel...:P

Well I got family in Danmark... maybe time to find them and visit them...:rolleyes:

Denmark.. too close, Finland had been equally ok.

Like he said ... maybe there is a girl....:eek:

But IF he tries to speak danish when he gets home I promised I dont understand him. Norwegean and Dannish are almost the same language... when speaking Danish you just speak Norwegean with hot potatoes in your mouth (and I cant understand it). So the good point is no new language to learn.

My words to him will be: be good, work like an ant there is work to do and reason for you to be in Danmark. If you get to babtize someone it is a big bonus. And most of all strengthen your testimony and learn about the gospel and learn to trust the Lord.

Well it is only some 10 hours dive (for me 8) from us so, if he needs something...:rolleyes:

I am faster in Danmark than in Northern Norway. :P

I wonder if I can buy him something in Dressmann in Norway and he can get it from one in Danmark... hmmm...

An other good thing.. it is easy to bike in Danmark as it is flat like a pancake, no big hills to climb. We never tok the boys to Tivoli or Legoland...

I met often Dannish members in the Temple... but understand noting... nice people.

I think someone is mixing people here... it was my youngest who has a Dannish girlfriend and who spoke danish in the buss on last youth Templetrip.

When others here are going to other european countries... Danmark, Sweden or Finland do feel flat, like beeing home for mision. But there is work to be done everywhere.