Obama gets 51% approval rating... in Utah

LittleWyvern

A new poll for the Deseret News and KSL-TV by Dan Jones & Associates finds that only 51 percent of Utahns approve of the job Obama is doing.

Article

Wait... only 51%? Am I the only person who was surprised by how high this number is?

It's also silly how this article compared the initial approval ratings of Obama to Bush. Of course Bush's approval ratings are going to be higher, Utah is the reddest of the red states! :P

Naw its just because they have the highest rate of bankruptcy in the nation IIRC, so much of 'em (I still identify as Alaskan) don't understand that borrowing until your eyes bleed is not a good thing.

I kid, I kid. :D Actually it does kinda surprise me.

Naw its just because they have the highest rate of bankruptcy in the nation IIRC, so much of 'em (I still identify as Alaskan) don't understand that borrowing until your eyes bleed is not a good thing.

I kid, I kid. :D Actually it does kinda surprise me.

To be fair, a major factor in the number of Utah bankruptcies is the number of single-income families. When Dad loses his job anywhere else in the country, the family limps along on Mom's income. When Dad loses his job in Utah--it's game over.

Those numbers are not current....better check the dates. Rasmusen reports: Overall, 56% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance so far.

You're right, the numbers I posted earlier were slightly out of date. I have since found a better list, which takes the average of every poll and gives a number of 58.2%

Still, the fact that Utah is close to the national average is impressive.

Perhaps this demonstrates that there is a strong undercurrent of Utahns who aren't necessarily die-hard conservatives, but simply tend to give the benefit of the doubt to whomever is in power? (EDIT: As long as they aren't participating in obscene activities in the Oval Office)

Heaven knows our governor has been gallivanting around the country telling people what a bunch of hayseeds we all are, but Utahns on the whole still think he's the greatest thing since sliced bread.

Edited by Just_A_Guy

Hidden

Those numbers are not current....better check the dates. Rasmusen reports: Overall, 56% of voters say they at least somewhat approve of the President's performance so far.

You're right, the numbers I posted earlier were slightly out of date. I have since found a better list, which takes the average of every poll and gives a number of 58.2%

Still, the fact that Utah is close to the national average is impressive.

About the approval rating: I don't know the demographics of who they asked, but if they mostly asked Salt Lake County residents, then 51% is probably about what I would expect for results.

The demographics are a random sample of all of Utah. Admittedly, I'm just inferring this as the title of the article says "Utahns" with no qualifiers (perhaps somebody less lazy than me could contact Dan Jones). There was another poll mentioned in the article that just polled Salt Lake County and got a 60% approval rating, with a MoE of 5%. It's in the article:

Even so, only 60 percent of Salt Lake County residents approve of the job Obama is doing, Jones found in a survey conducted last week of 400 adults statewide. The poll has a margin of error of plus or minus 5 percent.

Again with that only word. :P Edited by LittleWyvern

I know they didn't ask me, and only asking 400 people in a state of over 2 million seems like a relatively small sample to me. But then again, I'm not a statistics guy either. I would be interested in how they figure they can count the results of those who, like me, have unplugged from the corded-phone world if they can't contact us for our thoughts.

I know they didn't ask me, and only asking 400 people in a state of over 2 million seems like a relatively small sample to me. But then again, I'm not a statistics guy either. I would be interested in how they figure they can count the results of those who, like me, have unplugged from the corded-phone world if they can't contact us for our thoughts.

Yeah, I'm sure Margin of Error can explain the... er... mathematics behind the margin of error.

...that was weird. :mellow: