Help having a meltdown

prospectmom

:eek: OK I am a strong person who knows my place in this world ... here goes... My son is leaving for Iraq and I am having major a major melt down about it.....

I have total faith my Father in Heaven will watch out for him..... It is not like hes the first to leave the nest he's the 5th.. I know they always come back:D I just am having such a hard time with it..... I can't identify exactly what my problem is... I have faith and totally believe he will be taken care of no matter what....I just get a tight chest and an overwelming feeling of dred.....everytime I think of it... His job will be semi-safe... He will be at an Airforce base guarding convoys between Bagdad Airport and the base. I will be able to e-mail him and hear from him often so I just don't get it......The tears won't stop flowing and I just am a wreck...... I have got to get past this but at this time all logiic isn't helping...... Mabey whining to you all will help..... And I do recognize I am whining....... I have never been this much of a Baby....Mabey a few virtual kicks in the butt fron you guys will help..

I have two at home 13, and almost 15 who keep me quite busy......... Usually logic wins with me and I can get control..... Mabey it is because he is one of the last and my job I have had for so long will be over... full time anyway....Mabey I am looking at what I've done wrong and right feeling oh cr*p I just don't know but I DO appreciate the support...

You are being a mother and therefore are being quite normal. It's difficult to let our children go but even more so knowing they are going to a place where harm could befall them. Pray often for his safety as I'm sure you will.

I have two at home 13, and almost 15 who keep me quite busy......... Usually logic wins with me and I can get control..... Mabey it is because he is one of the last and my job I have had for so long will be over... full time anyway....Mabey I am looking at what I've done wrong and right feeling oh cr*p I just don't know but I DO appreciate the support...

Isn't it great that your job as a mom is never over! It's always hard to send someone you love so much into harms way. But you can also be so very proud of him. He is answering his country's call. We are all so proud and so greatful to our men and women in uniform. God bless our military and God Bless America.

Prospectmum, I can understand how you're feeling, and I wish for all the best for your son while he's away from you, and all the best for you, waiting for him to return home.

I think, regardless of whatever our individual views are of wars, and no matter on what side our children are fighting, we're all gonna have the same fears and worries, and tears as other parents in our situations..

The sooner there is no longer any reason for wars in this world, the better!!

Guest queries

<HUGS>

Don't worry, it will all end up ok.

I have three family members who have spent time in Iraq. My mom worked as an RN on a private contractor clinic at Al Asad base; my brother has worked with the same contractors for several years, and is there now; and my sister is also currently doing a year stint with them.

In addition, one of our ward members recently returned from active duty there. It was an awesome experience for him - grew his testimony IMMENSELY. I am sure the Lord will turn this into something for your son's good. Hang in there. Sounds kind of like sending him on a mission to me.

OK after all your posts ans much thought I realize that this situation is different ...... He is my first child to go into a dangerous situation. He loves the military/ ARMY and what at first was a way for him to go to college may become a career. I pushed him into the Guard not really thinking he would go to war . Well I do feel much better after my meltdown...... Thank you all for the positive support.....

Trust me, your son wants your support more than your worry. (Not to say you're not supporting him, but the worry will overshadow it.)

When I first expressed that I wanted to join the military, my mom shouted, screamed, cried, accused me of all sorts of unkind things (ie I was doing it because I didn't care about her, or doing it purposefully to spite her).

But it was important to me. And although she said these things because "army" immediately raised red flags in her head about war and ... shall we say, high probability for workplace injury... causing her fear and worry, all I saw was her selfishness in refusing to support me. (I am not in the army.)

I am NOT calling you selfish. But my point is your worry, if seen by him, will be what he sees and thinks about of when he thinks of you on the other side, and you don't want that. You need him to have a strong and confident mind, undivided, not having to worry about you back home. And so you need to show him that you are strong, confident in him, and undivided in your support for him.

He dosen't knoiw about all this drama believe me..... My hubby and younger kids know but Rob knows only how very much I love him and am proud of him...... He has my full support I was just haveing problems with my feelings not understanding why I was feeling so overwhelmed... Everyone here has helped abnd I so appreciate it........

You don't need a kick - you need a hug! You're a mom, and of course this situation is scary. Lean on the people who will be supportive to you, busy yourself with things you can manage and feel good about - all in all - just take really good care of yourself in whatever ways you can! You will get through this!

Rob left for Camp Roberts yesterday morning and will be gone for 2 weeks he will come back for 4 days ans offically be deployed and we won't see him for 13 months. There wll be a ceremony so hope to get some good pictures of him to post... He is excited and loves the military so my son is happy I must be happy for him..... I am grateful for all your support and help and I will let you know how thingsa are going....