Who are you REALLY?

Elphaba

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I never understood that. Women so "meek" they need the guy to be taller, or men so insecure that they must be taller then "their" women.

Disclaimer: I don't assume people who fit the tall guy shorter girl "mold" automatically fall into the above category.

I've often wondered how much of this is an insecurity issue or an attraction issue. There are certainly times in my life where I have felt very insecure about my height. I'm feeling better now about exactly who I am than I ever have been before, but I still love the feeling of standing next to a guy who is taller than me. It's not a feeling I get to experience ALL that often and I really like it. I don't want to make anyone else feel bad either, but it's just easier to be honest about the attraction level from the get go. I've had guys tell me that they simply were more attracted to girls shorter than them, and I'm ok with that. What's the alternative? Say, "NO, that's discrimination based on height and I demand that you give me a chance!" LOL, we all just like what we like.

I must say I never understood why somebody would fake who they were online. I guess it makes them feel better about themselves.

I however prefer to go with the honest approach and just be myself online or in person. Must say though I am a bit shy haha hence why I do not post as much. Trust me though I do like to talk a lot once I get to know people :)

Well, I am really the wonderful, wise, beautiful, confident, successful, funny, articulate, spiritual, and compassionate person I am on this board. You may continue to worship me as before....

But I did lie--my tongue isn't as big as my avatar shows--it does have a lot of slobber on it, but just not as big.

SUCH A LIAR! I saw that huge fat tongue of yours licking your lips as Chad and the other waiter (that you didn't flirt with enough apparently because we still had to pay... at least I did... did you?) brought out our food!

But I did lie--my tongue isn't as big as my avatar shows--it does have a lot of slobber on it, but just not as big.

Oh please..Everyone she lies again. I met her in person the other night and her tongue is BIGGER than portrayed on this forum.

On the topic at hand I find myself to be more honest online due to the anonymity. When an issue/question/topic is brought up i can give my honest opinion without feeling your stares, through the computer screen. :)

Many of the opinions i have shared here i would keep to myself in most cases for that very reason.

So i am a different person online. I'm more honest/forward then in person.

That's really more how I am. There have been personal things in my life that I would not have normally talked about so openly but fiind it much easier to do here.

Well, i know i'm a terrible liar. I'm pretty much who i am, but like most introverts i find it easier to share my opinions online. So one would probably be surprised at how little i talk in real life.

i think i'm pretty genuine online. i don't share everything about me though, so i'm sure there are things about me some ppl would be surprised to know. i don't share some of it not to be deceving but because it's personal and i don't know who all could read it.

i also think it's important to be careful how much you share about yourself. there are a lot of ppl online out there trolling for someone to take advantage of.

I have to admit that often online I act much like how I am in real life, in general quiet, shy and pretty good at keeping the thoughts in my head there. There have been many times when I have written responses to people on other websites and then at the last moment deleted the entire thing because I felt that it didn't need to be said after all. This site is actually the first place I have not used my regular handle, mostly for anonymity sake. Because I tend to use the same screen name wherever I go you could easily google it and find out just who I am. What I have found by using a different screen name here is that I screen my comments less. I have actually found myself speaking up more than I usually would because of it.

However, based on the fact that I don't want people knowing who I am in real life I don't plan to ever show a real picture of myself, or give any concise details on where I live, or who I am. However, regarding my story I have been completely honest about it all. That is the great thing about the anonymity I can share things about myself that I would otherwise tell no one and not worry that it will negatively impact my life.

I never understood that. Women so "meek" they need the guy to be taller, or men so insecure that they must be taller then "their" women.

Disclaimer: I don't assume people who fit the tall guy shorter girl "mold" automatically fall into the above category.

Seriously, to me, it's not about the "mold."

I always feel really gawky and awkward when I'm a lot taller than a person I'm with, male or female. I felt that way even when I was young. I'm 5'7", which I don't think is terribly tall, but it feels like it.

The love of my life (dirtbagman) was my height. I would wear heels around him and never thought twice about it.

Elphaba

there are a lot of ppl online out there trolling for someone to take advantage of.

Yep you for sure have to watch out for these people.

Posted Image

They are scary people.

Edited by pam

On the topic at hand I find myself to be more honest online due to the anonymity. When an issue/question/topic is brought up i can give my honest opinion without feeling your stares, through the computer screen. :)

Many of the opinions i have shared here i would keep to myself in most cases for that very reason.

So i am a different person online. I'm more honest/forward then in person.

I think you hit this on the head. We're all different from who we are in person when we're online by virtue of the fact that we're ONLINE! It takes away certain elements of the in person experience, (sometimes lets us sidestep some manners that we'd adhere to in person) but for all intents and purposes we're ourselves, just in a different situation.

But still, I don't understand, like others have said here, those who feel the need or thrill of creating an entirely different person. Even if the contact we have with those people doesn't have a huge impact on our lives, I still find it a little insulting when I find out that someone decided to mess with the truth in a situation as laid back as a friendly acquaintance in a chat room or web board. I guess both sides could be saying, "It doesn't matter THAT MUCH so why do it?" or "It doesn't matter that much so why care?" I'm still saying the first of the two.

Seriously, to me, it's not about the "mold."

I always feel really gawky and awkward when I'm a lot taller than a person I'm with, male or female. I felt that way even when I was young. I'm 5'7", which I don't think is terribly tall, but it feels like it.

The love of my life (dirtbagman) was my height. I would wear heels around him and never thought twice about it.

Elphaba

You're only 5'7?! I would have sworn you were at least 5'10!

I am pretty much the same in real life......my "about me" on my profile is very accurate. I would say I am not quite as handsome, powerfully built and mysterious as my avatar might suggest....almost....but not quite. :)

Mmmm "powerfully built" huh? Sounds like one of those phrases that's used to mislead. I think I'm gonna use that one in the future.

"I'm not fat, I'm powerfully built!" :D

In another thread someone posted information about him/herself that turned out to not be true. So, it got me thinking.

Is anyone on the site who they say they are? I'm beginning to think we're all lazy slobs who lay in bed all day, log into lds.net, and pretend to be someone we're not.

Okay, that's me.

But seriously! I think we all have images of each other, and what we each "do" in our lives. I just wonder how far off, or close, our images are.

In fact, after one of our Utah get-togethers, one girl told me I was nothing like what she had expected. I asked her why. She said "let's just drop it."

I still have no idea what she was talking about. :P

Here's an example of what I mean: I notice a number of people are on the board for most of the day, and I sometimes wonder why. For me, it's because I'm disabled, and have nothing better to do. Plus, I obviously enjoy everyone immensely. . . even Pale. :P

Now I know most people are who they say they are, especially all of my friends. I know they look exactly like their pics, make exactly as much money as they tell me, have the perfect house, ex-spouse, and body, and really want to sweep me off my feet and marry me. Even the girls. Especially Siouxz. :P

But is Siouxz real?

Well, actually I've met Siouxz, so yes, I can vouch for her realness.

But what about the rest of you?

Elphaba

P.S. Nothing gross!

I don't pretend, but I do sometimes try to limit how much I share. I think that's only wise.

I've met you before Elphaba, and Pam and others. I went to one of those dinners at Olive Garden in Sandy. Wouldn't mind meeting again, but never on Monday nights, or the night before General Conference. heh.

HiJolly

I've met you before Elphaba, and Pam and others. I went to one of those dinners at Olive Garden in Sandy. Wouldn't mind meeting again, but never on Monday nights, or the night before General Conference. heh.

I remember! I told you I wished we had had a chance to talk.

Unfortunatley, we were on separate ends of the table. Maybe we shoulld get a smaller table next time. ;)

Elph