Pee Stick Says...

marshac

Mrs Marshac is pregnant. She just called me (i'm visiting my parents for easter). Since this is our first kid, I would welcome any input as to what kind of things would be useful to get, things we should do, etc :)

Also- how do kids work in the church? I saw some naming ceremony or something a few weeks back at church, but wasn't quite sure what it was for.

Mrs Marshac is pregnant. She just called me (i'm visiting my parents for easter). Since this is our first kid, I would welcome any input as to what kind of things would be useful to get, things we should do, etc :)

Also- how do kids work in the church? I saw some naming ceremony or something a few weeks back at church, but wasn't quite sure what it was for.

First I recommend sleep. If you can find a way to stockpile it you'll become richer than Bill Gates.

Now as far as the blessing you saw in church. Its purpose is to one state the name of the kids to the church and to God and to give them a blessing of admonition and council (Also as a practical matter it gets your child church records.). There is some paperwork that needs to be filled out but just talk to the Ward Clerk or the Bishop about it, they'll get the ball rolling. Also, there isn't any rush technically IIRC they can be blessed up to the age of 8, so waiting a few months is pretty standard. Also, if you don't want to do it at Church it can be done at home.

As for why and how:

Naming and Blessing Children

“Every member of the church of Christ having children is to bring them unto the elders before the church, who are to lay their hands upon them in the name of Jesus Christ, and bless them in his name” (D&C 20:70). In conformity with this revelation, only worthy men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood may participate in naming and blessing children. The ordinance of naming and blessing children requires authorization from the presiding authority.

When blessing a baby, men who hold the Melchizedek Priesthood gather in a circle and hold the baby in their hands. When blessing an older child, brethren place their hands lightly on the child’s head. The person who gives the blessing:

1. Addresses Heavenly Father.

2. States that the blessing is given by the authority of the Melchizedek Priesthood.

3. Gives the child a name.

4. Gives a priesthood blessing as the Spirit directs.

5. Closes in the name of Jesus Christ.

Never let fear motivate your decisions when it comes to this experience and your life as parents. There are horror stories for EVERY situation out there, but this is life. It's wonderful, going to be hard work, but AMAZING! We were created to do this. Don't let the fears of man trump the plan of our Heavenly Father. Faith is always the best motivator. Congratulations to you and your wife!

Congrats!!! Children are such a blessing

I disagree with John Doe.. All my babies co-slept and learned great sleeping patterns.. I have never had bedtime troubles, they all adjusted well to their own beds

as far as ceremonies, my youngest was 2 mos when we joined the church.. so we never had anything like that

for now focus on being pregnant.. it goes by so fast and its such a wonderful experience.. both of you will gain so much from it.

When your wife delivers stand at the head of the bed and hold her hand. Dont use a camcorder. Unless of course you decided to deliver at home. We had our last 2 as home births, it was much easier. The first birth can be more difficult so I recommend having the first in a hospital.

Breastfeeding is the only option. Its healthier for the baby. And (more importantly) daddy dosent have to mix formula in the middle of the night and stay up holding the bottle.

Dont try to discipline your kids too much. After 8 kids... looking back, we tried too hard on the firstborn. Lovem and they will do well.

YAY! Congrats!

My best advice......Don't take advice from anyone! LOL Actually, you will need to follow your heart and listen to the Spirit. Every child is so different and unique that I had to use different methods with each one.

I do agree with stockpiling sleep!

Don't be afraid to ask for help!

Babies smell soooooo good! Inhale frequently.

Oh, and babies actually need very little. Don't fall for the consumerism of baby.

Enjoy! I am now a believer of how fast the time goes.

Babies smell soooooo good! Inhale frequently.

Especially the poopy diapers! Don't be afraid to stick your nose right down in the material and take a big sniff after you change one. If it makes you sick, keep trying, it'll get better. Make sure you keep the diaper pail right next to the heater inlet vent so the baby smell goes through the whole house. And always let the old diapers age for a couple weeks before taking them to the trash.

Congratulations! Being a parent is amazing. :)

As for what you need, go to Office Max right now and get a pack of posterboard. Stick it behind the couch. One day, in 9 years or so, on a Sunday night at 9 p.m., when your fourth grader has a report to do on the moons of Jupiter or ostriches or Kenya....you'll be glad you did. Trust me.

And (more importantly) daddy dosent have to mix formula in the middle of the night and stay up holding the bottle.

Sheesh don't make it easy on dad. They should get up in the middle of the night just as often as mom.

Sheesh don't make it easy on dad. They should get up in the middle of the night just as often as mom.

Its ok for dad to transfer the baby from the crib to the mom and back (every once in a while), were just not equipped to do the breastfeeding. :P

Oh yeah, and get a baby hammock. Like the one in this link.

The Baby Hammock Company

They are much cheaper then cribs, easier to transport, and babies like em better. Keeps the baby out of the bed but still by you. And when they get upset and start thrashing around they start bouncing thus entertain themselves. Takes em a few months to figure out the spring though.

Especially the poopy diapers! Don't be afraid to stick your nose right down in the material and take a big sniff after you change one. If it makes you sick, keep trying, it'll get better. Make sure you keep the diaper pail right next to the heater inlet vent so the baby smell goes through the whole house. And always let the old diapers age for a couple weeks before taking them to the trash.

HAHAHA!

Actually, breastfed poo doesn't stink! My last kid didn't start stinkin' until he was 1!!! They pretty much get stinkier from there on out. :lol:

Edited by TruthSeekerToo
spelling

HAHAHA!

Actually, breastfed poo doesn't stink! My last kid didn't start stinkin' until he was 1!!! They pretty much get stinkier from their on out. :lol:

Well, before people start thinking it's odorless, it has a smell, it's just NOTHING like you'd think of when you think of a poopy diaper. It smells kinda... sweet?