math

bodhigirlsmiles

i am going to try to put the pain and ugliness that i have created behind me, although it will not be easy and, i have no doubt, will take a considerable amount of time.

having said that (and to lighten the mood slightly, if i may), what is the deal with math?

especially algebra.

algebra is my weakest link!

i have had not a few conversations with teachers of mathematics regarding x. x, it seems, is missing. the problem with this is that they want (expect?) me to find it. why must this be? after all, i didn't loose x, so why should i be the one to find it? if they are so concerned, shouldn't they be out there looking as well??

and please don't get me started on imaginary numbers. i have far too much difficulty with the numbers that do exist.

I've always liked algebra. You are essentially just plugging in numbers to create an already answered question.

If you stick with it, eventually one day it will just click. Does your school have a math team or of any kind? That helped me out a LOT with my mathematics and I wound up doing quite well in it after years of struggling. Those clubs and teams aren't just meant for the kids who are good at math, they are meant for the ones who are interested in it.

I've always liked algebra. You are essentially just plugging in numbers to create an already answered question.

If you stick with it, eventually one day it will just click. Does your school have a math team or of any kind? That helped me out a LOT with my mathematics and I wound up doing quite well in it after years of struggling. Those clubs and teams aren't just meant for the kids who are good at math, they are meant for the ones who are interested in it.

other than life itself, i am no longer in school. math was The Great Bane for me when i did attend. i would like to understand it more, but so far it has just baffled me.

"higher" math....fractal geometry, chaos theory, and the like....is very fascinating. i do not understand it, but it is fascinating nevertheless.

My dad was great with numbers, you could call him a mathematician of sorts, he was also great in card games since he could count them and remembered what had been played and generally figured out what everyone had in their hands, just by his figures.

He told me the secret to math one day, and I will tell it to you.

"Math is a game, learn the rules and then play by the rules and you will find the answer."

So, think of math as a game and you should come to the answers more easily, as long as you know the rules.

I figured out the secret to English on my own.

English is not like math.

In English, they teach you a rule in one chapter and then expect you to forget it in the next.

:rolleyes:

Edited by GingerGolden

Ugh, I hate quadratic equations, never could figure them out. Never was all that great at algebra (the pre-algebra stuff I do okay with). Of course the fact I've not been to school in 10 years does not help things in the least. Not exactly looking forward to the math portion of starting college.

Ugh, I hate quadratic equations, never could figure them out. Never was all that great at algebra (the pre-algebra stuff I do okay with). Of course the fact I've not been to school in 10 years does not help things in the least. Not exactly looking forward to the math portion of starting college.

Have some faith in yourself. :) Unlike most high school, colleges usually have a MUCH better support program in the form of tutors being available. I made use of tutors and the office hours of my math instructor when I was taking my required math class for my degree. From my experience, if you come willing to do the work, the tutors and instructors are VERY happy to assist you.

i LOVE biology! there isn't anything greater than learning about the beauty that surrounds us.

I was an atheist until I studied biology in college. It was the leaves that got me. Studying the dark reaction phase of photosynthesis and all the steps involved just blew me away. I didn't have enough faith in Darwin and chaos to believe that something as complicated as that leaf just kind of happened. It was then I started to look for a master engineer.

Guest Godless

I posted this in the humor thread a while ago, but I'll go ahead and share it here as well since it fits the topic fairly well. This is a mathematical equation that came up during a discussion on alternate worlviews on another board that I post on. It's probably the most important equation known to man.

Don't risk ticking off Thor. In mathematical terms it is simple risk analysis.

* Chance of Thor existing = A = small number (lets say one three trillionth of a percentage point)

* How much it will hurt if I tick off Thor= B = INFITINTY OH MY GOSH WHAT DID YOU DO TO MY FACE TIMES INFINITY GAZILLON OUCH!

* Chance of Thor not existing = C = 1-A

* What I have to gain by doing something that would tick off Thor = D = Not a whole lot...

So in scientific terms:

A*B-(C*D)= Too much hurt to handle

Moral: Be nice to Thor!

Edited by Godless