Opposition in all Things

I would love to learn more about the law of opposition. And I know you all have ideas about it. It might seem like a pretty straight forward thing, but there are some interesting aspects to it, IMHO.

I have always believed that we *have* to have opposition in all things and that it is an eternal law. Probably most of us do.

Then, I was reading about the Millennial Reign and something caught my attention. I already knew it, but never really thought about it before.

D&C 101:28 And in that day Satan shall not have power to tempt any man.

And if you continue reading we find out that there won't be any sorrow, no death, people will be twinkled, etc. This sounds so awesome! So Satan will be bound and it sounds like there will not be opposition for 1000 years. Children will be born and raised during this time. What a joyful time to raise a family!!!

So, is opposition actually different than evil, temptation, sorrow, etc? What does opposition mean to you?

2 Nephi 2:11,15 say that there needs to be opposition in all things. I really couldn't find reference to it anywhere else. But I only used lds.org word search.

Temptation is just one form of opposition. There are other oppositions. In the Millennium, the person who forces himself to lift weights and run several miles a day, will have a stronger body. In that day, those who study and ponder truths (religious or other) will expand their minds beyond those who do not. In that day, those who serve will benefit mankind and themselves more than those who do not.

So true. I asked my DH what he thought and he said "there will always be north and south." :lol:

I have always thought of opposition in terms of good vs. evil, sorrow vs. joy.

For fun I thought I'd look up the definition. Here is what I found on dictionary.com:

opposition

noun

1. the action of opposing something that you disapprove or disagree with; "he encountered a general feeling of resistance from many citizens"; "despite opposition from the newspapers he went ahead" [syn: resistance]

2. the relation between opposed entities

3. the act of hostile groups opposing each other; "the government was not ready for a confrontation with the unions"; "the invaders encountered stiff opposition" [syn: confrontation]

4. a contestant that you are matched against

5. a body of people united in opposing something

6. a direction opposite to another

7. an armed adversary (especially a member of an opposing military force); "a soldier must be prepared to kill his enemies" [syn: enemy]

8. the major political party opposed to the party in office and prepared to replace it if elected; "Her Majesty's loyal opposition"

WordNet® 3.0, © 2006 by Princeton University.

So, is opposition actually different than evil, temptation, sorrow, etc? What does opposition mean to you?

I think the key is separating Satan from opposition. Yes they do go hand in hand MOST of the time, but that doesn’t mean they aren’t different.

Mostly if we look at pre-mortal life. There was opposition in pre-mortal life. We learn from Alma 13 that there was righteousness and good works. Yet from Abraham we learned that not all of us were as obedient as Christ was. We still had to motivate ourselves to follow and learn what our Father in Heaven had. Even more nobody was there to tempt Satan to become Satan. He made that choice.

If we look at what this test of this life is to see if we well follow God (live by Faith). What ever the other option is, it doesn’t really matter, its not moving towards God. So if I don’t keep the commandments become of Satan or because I don’t have faith, it doesn’t matter.

A good quote by Joseph Smith.

We consider that God has created man with a mind capable of instruction, and a faculty which may be enlarged in proportion to the heed and diligence given to the light communicated from heaven to the intellect; and that the nearer man approaches perfection, the clearer are his views, and the greater his enjoyments, till he has overcome the evils of his life and lost every desire for sin; and like the ancients, arrives at that point of faith where he is wrapped in the power and glory of his Maker, and is caught up to dwell with Him.

(Joseph Smith, History of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 7 vols., introduction and notes by B. H. Roberts [salt Lake City: The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, 1932-1951], 2: 8.)

And Moroni

(Ether 8:26.)

26 Wherefore, I, Moroni, am commanded to write these things that evil may be done away, and that the time may come that Satan may have no power upon the hearts of the children of men, but that they may be persuaded to do good continually, that they may come unto the fountain of all righteousness and be saved.

The point of this life is to overcome all evil. Not that we won’t be tempted, but that temptation won’t have any affect on us.

Another example of Christ, he had opposition, just never followed it.

The same is true in the millennium. The reason Satan will be bound is because the most righteous are around, and he will have no affect on us.

That is a beautiful quote from JS!

It seems to me that there is, and always has been, choice. The choices have all been there free for the taking. And always will be. Nothing will ever take that away.

But, by definition, opposition seems to be more active. An actual force against something. So when Satan and his minions chose to take a different path they created an opposition. And they have been doing it ever since.

Yeah, so I can see it both ways. Even without The Opposition, as soon as someone makes a choice against God they create opposition. Or are in opposition.

I am reminded of something in Church History. After the dedication of the Kirtland Temple there was a period of about 2 weeks where none was tempted. It was glorious for all. They supposed that the Millennium had started and Satan was bound.

Of course, it wasn't, and it wasn't long at all until the seeds of apostacy began to grow.

It is really neat to think that when we are unified with God and the Saints that we can actually bind Satan. And that we can achieve it on a smaller scale in our own lives.

Guest Godless

Even in a world without evil, there is plenty of room for opposition. Joy and sorrow can co-exist in such a world, as can opposing views. When I was still an active member, I was taught that there would be (presumably righteous) non-LDS people living in the Millennium. They will have their chance for conversion, but they will still have their free will. I'm a bit rusty on the details of this doctrine, so if anyone can expound on it, that would be great. Anyway, that's just one example of not-necessarily-negative opposition that may exist in what you would call the Millennium.

Also, it's hard for me to imagine a world without football, even in post-apocalyptic times. Another example of opposition. :cool:

I would love to learn more about the law of opposition. And I know you all have ideas about it. It might seem like a pretty straight forward thing, but there are some interesting aspects to it, IMHO.

I have always believed that we *have* to have opposition in all things and that it is an eternal law. Probably most of us do.

Then, I was reading about the Millennial Reign and something caught my attention. I already knew it, but never really thought about it before.

D&C 101:28 And in that day Satan shall not have power to tempt any man.

And if you continue reading we find out that there won't be any sorrow, no death, people will be twinkled, etc. This sounds so awesome! So Satan will be bound and it sounds like there will not be opposition for 1000 years. Children will be born and raised during this time. What a joyful time to raise a family!!!

2 Nephi 2:11,15 say that there needs to be opposition in all things. I really couldn't find reference to it anywhere else. But I only used lds.org word search.

To me opposition is the innate duplicity of possibility. Even with G-d there is a possibility of evil but with G-d the propensity of evil has been overcome through the principles of sacrifice, charity and mercy. It appears to me that the primary vehicle with G-d to exercise good is always through covenant.

I believe the first element of evil is indulgence in selfishness. The first element of good is the opposite which is the discipline and sacrifice for others.

I believe that the reason Satan is bound during the Millennium because of light and knowledge. It is my personal belief that the reason that many choose evil during mortality is because they are beguiled until overcome by habitual and addictive behaviors. Which is the opposite of discipline which is the root of true worship and the freedom and liberty of mankind.

The Traveler

Opposition is also a means for deeper understanding. If there were no black, we could never really appreciate the white; hot/cold full/empty hard/soft sharp/dull thick/thin high/low fun/boring etc. Opposition, by nature, also covers everything in between-- red, yellow, blue, mauve, burgandy so we can appreciate and understand degrees in all things--even music: rock, pop, classical, and gospel.

In fact, opposition could be considered the very essence of eternal life and as such, gives purpose to free choice; otherwise, there really wouldn't be any free choice for there would be nothing to choose.

So, do most of you believe there will be sorrow during the Millennium even though the scriptures say there won't be?

D&C 101:29 And there shall be no sorrow because there is no death.

Godless-You bring up an interesting point. I, too, was taught that there would be those who don't embrace the fullness of the Gospel during that time (which is more than we have now). Does anyone know where that teaching came from? Is it just based on the fact we will still have free agency?

It appears that Satan's binding will not just be from our lack of falling into temptation. At least, to me. This is because the word "sealed" is used.

Rev. 20

1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

I would love to learn more about the law of opposition.

Eternal, yes, but only in the manifest spheres. Not in the third heaven.

The essential nature of opposition (or, duality) is the contrast between limitation and boundlessness.

LIMITATION____________BOUNDLESSNESS

Understanding__________Wisdom

Time__________________Eternity

Justice________________Mercy

Judgment______________Generosity

Logic/Reason___________Emotion

All of these can be "good" or "bad", depending -- they represent aspects of Godliness in manifestation. Each item on the right is good, but only when balanced (via the atonement or, LOVE ) with the items on the left.

HiJolly

Looks like Brigham Young taught that all manner of religions will still exist during the 1000 years.

Quote from Journal of Discourses 12:274

"Now when Zion is built up and reigns, the question may arise with some, will all be Latter-day Saints? No. Will there be this variety of classes and faiths that we now behold? I do not know whether there will be as many, or whether there will be more... In the millennium men will have the privilege of being Presbyterians, Methodists or Infidels, but they will not have the privilege of treating the name and character of Deity as they have done heretofore. No, but every knee shall bow and every tongue confess to the glory of God the Father that Jesus is the Christ."

So, do most of you believe there will be sorrow during the Millennium even though the scriptures say there won't be?

D&C 101:29 And there shall be no sorrow because there is no death.

Godless-You bring up an interesting point. I, too, was taught that there would be those who don't embrace the fullness of the Gospel during that time (which is more than we have now). Does anyone know where that teaching came from? Is it just based on the fact we will still have free agency?

It appears that Satan's binding will not just be from our lack of falling into temptation. At least, to me. This is because the word "sealed" is used.

Rev. 20

1 And I saw an angel come down from heaven, having the key of the bottomless pit and a great chain in his hand.

2 And he laid hold on the dragon, that old serpent, which is the Devil, and Satan, and bound him a thousand years,

3 And cast him into the bottomless pit, and shut him up, and set a seal upon him, that he should deceive the nations no more, till the thousand years should be fulfilled: and after that he must be loosed a little season.

If my opinion means anything, I think that you may be looking at this from the wrong angle. All trials and tribulations that come into your life, are designed just for you. Your Father in heaven knows you and knows what oppositions will give you the best chance of the growth, that will allow you too return home, to live with him.

Father also shows us "shadows and types of things to come". The four hundred years after the Savior visited the America's. was a shadow of things to come. At that time, satan was "bound" by the actions of the people who called themselves Nephites. Father knew and knows all of the souls that were born in that four hundred year period. He also knows what oppositions were best for those souls, and caused them to be born at that time.

Those who will be born in the millennium will face those oppositions that will meet the same goal. Satin will be bound by the actions of the people of God (we will most likely lose the name "Mormons").

The seal that will hold satin, can not be the same principal of binding on earth, what is bond in Heaven, because the seal would not be able to be broken after a thousand years.

And at the end of that thousand years, all will face temptations, as satin is loosed for a short season. In my opion satin's temptations, returning, will cononcide with the second reserection. Something to think about.

Always long winded and your humble servant, boyando

I am reminded how some Gospel principles find their true efficacy in the merging of two polarized concepts- and that our understanding of them can only find correct expression through the 'synchronization of the Spirit' (so says Elder Maxwell).

For example:

Justice and Mercy

Free Agency and Fore-ordination (a form of 'predestination', if you will)

Forgiveness and Vengeance

If my opinion means anything, I think that you may be looking at this from the wrong angle. All trials and tribulations that come into your life, are designed just for you. Your Father in heaven knows you and knows what oppositions will give you the best chance of the growth, that will allow you too return home, to live with him.

The seal that will hold satin, can not be the same principal of binding on earth, what is bond in Heaven, because the seal would not be able to be broken after a thousand years.

And at the end of that thousand years, all will face temptations, as satin is loosed for a short season. In my opion satin's temptations, returning, will cononcide with the second reserection. Something to think about.

Always long winded and your humble servant, boyando

If you mean I'm looking at Satan being bound wrong by thinking of it being so literal, I am open to that possibility. It is obviously different in that it will be loosed, but think of other things that have been sealed from the world in a very real way and will some day be loosed (scriptures).

Very interesting thought about the loosing Satan being during the second ressurection. I will have to ponder that!

And I totally love long winded. It gets my thoughts flowing!

---------

I am still really interested in the possiblility that during the Millennium there will not be opposition in ALL things. That is not to say there won't be opposites or choices. I really think those are different things.

I have found several scriptures and quotes that indicate that during the Millennium the Earth will be as the garden of Eden having been renewed and received her paradisiacal glory. Another scripture in D&C (that I can't find again) seems to idicate that the curse of Adam will be lifted. I really am trying to find it again.

But in addition to this Brigham Young seems to indicate that we will still grow food, labor and wear clothes. LOL Maybe some were thinking we'd go without clothing like our first fahter and mother.

I hope to have time later to post some of these quotes and scriptures because I think they would be nice to explore.

From 2 Nephi 2:11-13 ( 2 Nephi 2 ) we learn that "opposition in all things" is perhaps the most fundamental, the most elementary and necessary component of the gospel, indeed of all truth and all creation. Without it, there would be nothing, no creation and no God.

Sometimes I think we lose the notion of what opposites are. For example if we think of True verses False as being opposites what we discover is that not only is truth different from that which is false there is no intersection of the set of truth with anything in the set of that which is false.

The notion of opposition not only identifies that there are two possibilities but that there is no gray area or possibility between the two that can include parts of both. lf there are opposing possibilities then by definition those possibilities are mutually exclusive.

The Traveler

Traveler-I totally agree that opposition is truly two forces working against eachother. It is different than traditional opposites.

I have found some helpful things in some books. But, I am led to wonder something.

Can we have opposition without Satan or not?

If we can have opposition without Satan, what is the point of him? In other words, why is he even allowed to mess with men?

Satan's effort is to enhance the temptations for us. While we can learn many things through natural opposition, the ability to learn good versus evil requires us to be enticed by both sides. If we were only enticed by the Holy Spirit, we likely would not sin as much.

Traveler-I totally agree that opposition is truly two forces working against eachother. It is different than traditional opposites.

I have found some helpful things in some books. But, I am led to wonder something.

Can we have opposition without Satan or not?

If we can have opposition without Satan, what is the point of him? In other words, why is he even allowed to mess with men?

By definition Satan is the opposition to G-d and his plan.

I think your question is excellent and covers a broad range on ideas, notions and concepts. I am not sure it can be answered by a single post. Perhaps you ought to consider a thread on the subject. But I believe the quick answer is that he is allowed to mess with man (bruise man’s heel) but in the plan of G-d, man by example of Christ will crush Satan’s head.

As I contemplate the role of Satan it appears to me that man, in mortality, experiences two things about evil. The first thing is the direct first hand effect of sin, which is death. We are all sinners and will die because of this first effect of sin. The second thing is often overlooked and that is that the sins of others cause the righteous to suffer and make sacrifices. The ultimate example of suffering and sacrifice is the atonement of Christ. But there are other examples of the suffering of the righteous and many believe the distinguishing characteristic of a saint is sacrifice not because of their own sins but for the greater good in overcoming the effects of evil wrought by the sins of others.

It is this second experience in sin (or knowledge of good and evil) that I believe many “fundamental” Christians that believe sin is overcome only by Christ and his suffering and sacrifice fail to employ in their incomplete efforts to know G-d by becoming “one” with him.

It appears to me that this second experience is the more paramount and divinely necessary in order to appreciate and experience the wholeness of the spirit (knowledge of good) for which G-d intended to be the destiny of all his children as symbolically represented in the garden epoch.

The Traveler

I just want to thank everyone for all the great posts! I have really learned so much. It is fun to discover things I have always taken for granted.

Basically, I think I've concluded that there is and always has been a natural opposition (thanks to the poster that mentioned that). That is why two opposing trees were put in the Garden.

So, even when Satan is bound there will continue to be natural opposition. Just not the temptation or opposing force of evil. Mostly, because the people living will have no desire to do evil and be one with the Lord who is ruling on the earth.

It's all pretty cool, IMHO.

Traveler, I totally agree with knowing God and becoming one with Him being so critical!