Proper Dress

TheyCallMeMom

I am curious about dress.. its not a subject that has been discussed fully with me but I do have a pretty good understanding..

After seeing a pic of a member who was born and raised in the church, in a tank top today I was reminded that as I will be reaching my year mark I will need to know more do's and donts..

I am aware that anything showing the garments is a no no.. but are their other "rules" or suggestions.. for both my husband and myself, that we may not have been made aware of

Thanks

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Rule 1: No demin for Sunday Church. A guy would never wear Levi's to Church - what make women think it is alright?

Rule 2: No fancy black lace hose and spiked heels - no matter what my 16 year daughter thinks.

Rule 3: No ties with cartoon characters on them.

Rule 4: Leisure Suits are fine - if it is 1979.

Rule 5: Leave the whiskey flask at home.

Rule 1: No demin for Sunday Church. A guy would never wear Levi's to Church - what make women think it is alright?

WoW!!!! I have been breaking that rule for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in rural/western Wyoming and I have seen "new" wranglers worn to church w/ a crisp iron/starched white shirt, a bolo tie or a silk bandana tied around the neck.

So.................I can't say that I agree w/ rule #1.

A good rule of thumb to follow is if an apostle/prophet should up on your front door, school, or work would you feel "modest" in your clothing choice.

Fashion sense (or lack of it) is not a sin. If all you have is a clean tee shirt and shorts, then that's your Sunday best. Modesty is encouraged, and certainly the garment encourages that, but not in all situation and not for all occasions. Just because someone is wearing a tank top does not mean he or she is trying to be seductive by wearing it. Sometimes we are oblivious to what others may think, but that doesn't mean we are being sinful.

Edited by bytebear

WoW!!!! I have been breaking that rule for years!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I grew up in rural/western Wyoming and I have seen "new" wranglers worn to church w/ a crisp iron/starched white shirt, a bolo tie or a silk bandana tied around the neck.

So.................I can't say that I agree w/ rule #1.

A good rule of thumb to follow is if an apostle/prophet should up on your front door, school, or work would you feel "modest" in your clothing choice.

Well I suppose that you have to take culture into account. In Quevedo Ecuador the indigenous men would come to Church in with calf length white pants, big blue ponchos and silver digital watches.

In Southern California however, denim on women is just wrong - according to me. Not wrong religiously, but wrong nevertheless.

We need to be careful when we start dictating which fabrics one can wear. No denim? What about an indigo blue twill? Without topstitching? Okay! Seriously.

I was once in a stake primary leadership training. A woman stood there and declared that denim is wrong, "You're just a seam away from wearing jeans." Yep, I was there in a straight denim skirt, navy tights, navy wooden-soled clogs, and a green turtleneck sweater. I had been up since 3:00 a.m. local time (I was across the country at that moment), had flown from Baltimore to Minneapolis to Salt Lake to Boise, picked my kids up from school, made dinner, got my son settled in his Pack Meeting and headed into the training. But it was wrong to be in denim? I would have been perfectly comfortable in my dress had the Savior himself attended the meeting.

Honestly, people have what they have, and whatever their best is has to be good enough. We're not there to please the eye of those who care what others are wearing.

My own standards for dress vary by the occasion. My skirts are always knee length or longer, sleeves and necklines cover my garments, and I don't wear flip flops ever. :)

Guest HEthePrimate

I don't think God really cares what you wear, but other people at church will. So I'd advise modest clothing, dress up "Sunday best" for church, and cleanliness. I did see a guy wearing jeans in the Provo Temple once, but that's unusual. (And of course, he changed for the ceremonies so he'd be in white!) Also, avoiding extremes is a good idea if you don't want to raise a ruckus among fellow church goers. A blue mohawk will raise eyebrows... (it shouldn't cause problems, but does, because that's the way people are).

Peace,

HEP

I've heard people speak out against denim skirts, but I wonder if there was ever (or still is, depending on where you live) a hooplah about things like this:

Posted Image

:huh:

I've always felt like we are to do our best and assume that everyone else is doing the same. If someone is under our stewardship and we feel that it would be appropriate to mention something to them about dress or even things like hygiene for that matter, I can see it being ok in some situations, but always done in a loving and non condescending way. There are some things that a mother or father could say to their children that simply wouldn't be appropriate coming from someone else. I see it as kinda being similar to following the proper chain of authority. Still, just because someone has a concern or an opinion doesn't mean that it always needs to be voiced. In the grand scheme of things, the clothes mean very little.

Wonder if attendance would so up if people were allowed to wear whatever they are comfortable in?

Very good point. We went to a church of England Easter service yesterday at a cathedral. It was lovely, people were wearing an array of different things. Shorts, socks and sandals did seem to prevail :P but there wasn't a 'look' like we have in our church. The diversity was refreshing.

I looked at everyone there and reflected, if any of these people were taken to task over their attire, I'm sure they would be mortally offended and upset that Christian people were more concerned with their dress than the fact they were there to worship.

They spoke of the resurrection, and praised God in their sandals, jeans, printed t-shirts, cassocks, skirts, trainers and baseball caps.

When I saw this it made me realise how much energy we waste on telling people how to look when we could be worshipping God instead.

Thanks for your input.. I thought proper dress, in and out of meetings, was something that we needed to be aware of.. just wasnt sure how to make sure I was following the rules..

Now that I know there arent any, shopping will be much easier.. so are the garments optional as well? or do you only wear them to the temple etc?

If you go to the temple you are supposed to wear them all the time for the rest of your life. Altho I have heard rumours of people being given more of a choice in how and when they wear them. Obviously they are optional in that you have agency but from the churches point of view you will not to the temple, or heaven for that matter, if you dont wear them.

I am curious about dress.. its not a subject that has been discussed fully with me but I do have a pretty good understanding..

After seeing a pic of a member who was born and raised in the church, in a tank top today I was reminded that as I will be reaching my year mark I will need to know more do's and donts..

I am aware that anything showing the garments is a no no.. but are their other "rules" or suggestions.. for both my husband and myself, that we may not have been made aware of

Thanks

I use to wear tank tops to the beach or swim attire but not around others. We should dress appropriately in not revealing body parts or give impression of flirtation of the body. For those who do wear temple garments, should ensure it is covered properly and not to be revealing.

When we dress for the temple or Sunday services, it should be in the best attire as possible in meeting the Savior if He was to be in attendance. Our dress should not be one of opulence in calling ourselves above others.

Edited by Hemidakota

now I am really confused.. there are rules, there are no rules.. does anyone have concrete info on this matter? I know we have our own agency.. I guess maybe I need some links to prophet talks in regards to dress.. and what the Church asks of us

Church News:

BYU GROUP REVIEWS CODE, STANDARDS 13

Date: 10/27/90

Brigham Young University Pres. Rex E. Lee has formed a 15-member ad hoc committee to review BYU's Honor Code and Dress and Grooming Standards.

"We feel strongly that our Honor Code and Dress and Grooming Standards contribute significantly to the spiritual, moral and intellectual development of our campus community," Pres. Lee said.

"There are some aspects of the code and standards that are value-based and doctrinally founded, and they will not change," he said.

"At the same time, as new issues emerge and dress modes and behaviors evolve, we see a need to update our standards so the committee can address these changes," the president explained.

Pres. Lee appointed R.J. Snow, Student Life vice president, to chair the committee, which has been charged to have its recommendations to the President's Council by the end of November. Ultimately, the Board of Trustees will review and approve any changes.

The committee will look at the substance of the code and standards.

Modesty

in Robert D. Hales, Ensign, 2008, Aug.

... here in mortality and in the eternities that will follow. Modesty in Dress for Church Meetings When we attend a Church meeting, our ... their “in your face” independence from modest, conservative dress codes and traditions. Then I would observe that,...

The Temple Garment: “An Outward Expression of an Inward Commitment”

in Carlos E. Asay, Ensign, 1997, Aug.

...to the gospel. There are some who would welcome a detailed dress code answering every conceivable question about the wearing..., a protective covering for the body, and a symbol of the modesty of dress and living that should characterize the lives of all ...

The below is from this resource put out by the church: LDS.org - Family Table of Contents - True to the Faith

“Modesty,” True to the Faith, (2004),106–8

Modesty is an attitude of humility and decency in dress, grooming, language, and behavior. If you are modest, you do not draw undue attention to yourself. Instead, you seek to “glorify God in your body, and in your spirit” (1 Corinthians 6:20; see also 1 Corinthians 6:19).

If you are unsure about whether your dress or grooming is modest, ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?” You might ask yourself a similar question about your language and behavior: “Would I say these words or participate in these activities if the Lord were present?” Your honest answers to these questions may lead you to make important changes in your life. The following information will help you in your efforts to be modest.

Dress and Grooming

Prophets have always counseled us to dress modestly. This counsel is founded on the truth that the human body is God’s sacred creation. Respect your body as a gift from God. Through your dress and appearance, you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is.

Your clothing expresses who you are. It sends messages about you, and it influences the way you and others act. When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you can invite the companionship of the Spirit and exercise a good influence on those around you.

Central to the command to be modest is an understanding of the sacred power of procreation, the ability to bring children into the world. This power is to be used only between husband and wife. Revealing and sexually suggestive clothing, which includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, and shirts that do not cover the stomach, can stimulate desires and actions that violate the Lord’s law of chastity.

In addition to avoiding clothing that is revealing, you should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle. In dress, grooming, and manners, always be neat and clean, never sloppy or inappropriately casual. Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings. If you are a woman and you desire to have your ears pierced, wear only one pair of modest earrings.

Maintain high standards of modesty for all occasions. Do not lower your standards to draw attention to your body or to seek approval from others. True disciples of Jesus Christ maintain the Lord’s standard regardless of current fashions or pressure from others.

Language and Behavior

Like your dress and grooming, your language and behavior are expressions of your character. Your words and actions can have a profound influence on you and on others. Express yourself through clean, positive, uplifting language and in actions that bring happiness to those around you. Your efforts to be modest in word and deed lead to increased guidance and comfort from the Holy Ghost.

Avoid the filthy language and the casual, irreverent use of the Lord’s name that are so common in the world. Withstand any temptation to participate in extreme or inappropriate behavior. The irreverent nature of such language and behavior impairs your ability to receive the quiet promptings of the Holy Ghost.

Additional references: D&C 42:40–41; Articles of Faith 1:13

Here is the one from the youth booklet For the Strength of Youth: LDS.org - Youth Table of Contents - For the Strength of Youth: Fulfilling Our Duty to God

“Dress and Appearance,” For the Strength of Youth: Fulfilling Our Duty to God, 14

“Know ye not that ye are the temple of God, and that the Spirit of God dwelleth in you? … The temple of God is holy, which temple ye are” (1 Corinthians 3:16–17).

Your body is God’s sacred creation. Respect it as a gift from God, and do not defile it in any way. Through your dress and appearance, you can show the Lord that you know how precious your body is. You can show that you are a disciple of Jesus Christ.

Prophets of God have always counseled His children to dress modestly. The way you dress is a reflection of what you are on the inside. Your dress and grooming send messages about you to others and influence the way you and others act. When you are well groomed and modestly dressed, you invite the companionship of the Spirit and can exercise a good influence on those around you.

Never lower your dress standards for any occasion. Doing so sends the message that you are using your body to get attention and approval and that modesty is important only when it is convenient.

Immodest clothing includes short shorts and skirts, tight clothing, shirts that do not cover the stomach, and other revealing attire. Young women should wear clothing that covers the shoulder and avoid clothing that is low-cut in the front or the back or revealing in any other manner. Young men should also maintain modesty in their appearance. All should avoid extremes in clothing, appearance, and hairstyle. Always be neat and clean and avoid being sloppy or inappropriately casual in dress, grooming, and manners. Ask yourself, “Would I feel comfortable with my appearance if I were in the Lord’s presence?”

Someday you will receive your endowment in the temple. Your dress and behavior should help you prepare for that sacred time.

Do not disfigure yourself with tattoos or body piercings. If girls or women desire to have their ears pierced, they are encouraged to wear only one pair of modest earrings.

Show respect for the Lord and for yourself by dressing appropriately for Church meetings and activities, whether on Sunday or during the week. If you are not sure what is appropriate, ask your parents or leaders for help.

Alma 1:27

now I am really confused.. there are rules, there are no rules.. does anyone have concrete info on this matter? I know we have our own agency.. I guess maybe I need some links to prophet talks in regards to dress.. and what the Church asks of us

Sorry if I confused you-I was trying to point out that there are rules, but that we have agency as to whether we will take them on board or not. The 'rules' are stated by the previous 2 posters.

My wife has been the the object of many looks of disdain, over her Sunday attire. Being in a wheelchair offers some wardrobe challenges, she often will wear dress slacks and a blouse to Church don't remember the last time she wore a dress to church, she dose have a couple of skirts, she is able to ware. The biggest obstacle she has is the need to crawl if she is out of the chair, so a dress is very inconvenient, the skirts she is able to pull over her head. She also struggles with the fact that her clothing tends to bunch up in the back as she shifts in chair, at times exposing her garments. Most of the sisters are kind and offer assistance but there are those who appear offended. Kathy's hair is not always "neat" again she has problems with being in the chair and her height, when her head leans against the back of the seat in the car all hope is lost for a neatly coiffed hair style. Bearing all this, we know she is dressing with the best she has and is at church to worship, and if someone has a problem with her appearance they need to look inward and examine who they are.

Guest Alana

Yup, for the Strength of the Youth pamphlet is perfect. We are expected to wear clothes that we could wear garments under. This means no tank tops or short shirts/dresses. Womens shirts can't go down too far, or clothing that isn't too tight. With all that said, do some people wear tank tops at church? Yes. Is it this big horrible deal? No. Who is or isn't endowed isn't any of my business. (since, yes, once you receive garments, you should always wear them) With all that said, I once wore a kind of see through shirt with a tank top underneath and I had someone ask 'Oh Alana, you haven't been to the temple? I didn't know.' I didn't think it was any of their business, but eh, so it goes. Wasn't like, how dare you ask that?!?! LOL.