Proper Dress

TheyCallMeMom

True to the Faith and For the Strength of Youth are wonderful.

We need to remember that not everyone has the money or resources to dress in brand new or nice suits and dresses.

My husband and I pick up men from the alcoholics camp (within our Ward boundaries) to church every Sunday. Often those interested in attending do not have appropriate clothings other than they are modest. Its important to wear the best you have and that it be neat and clean as well as modest.

Remember.. .modesty reflects our actions/thoughts as well as what we wear.

I'm very proud of our Ward. There are always several men who come up and welcome the men from the Camp. Sometimes the best they have are jeans and a tshirt with atheletic shoes. At least they are at church.

applepansy

P.S. It is amazing to watch the change in those who keep coming every week. How they dress and how they act changes as their hearts change.

Edited by applepansy

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Can I also mention there were probably close to 1000 people in that building. I think the possibilities would be endless Moksha!!!!!

On another board, one of the posters related that when he was a missionary in the Philippines, they asked the locals attending the church service which was more important in passing the Sacrament - the white shirt and tie or the boy. The locals all thought it was the white shirt and tie, but he and his missionary companion stated it was the boy. Skepticism ensued.

Sometimes things get twisted around, do they not? Jesus would undoubtedly say that the boy following His way was what he would want. The vision of the white shirt and tie following the way, with perhaps the boy trailing behind seems a bit absurd, yet even in some of our local wards that seems to be the message. I have heard of the young Aaronic Priesthood boys not being allowed to pass the Sacrament without the "white shirt and tie".

It is truly amazing how the color of the shirt got to be thought of as more reverential since 1995. I remember when madras and paisley was acceptable, not to mention my favorite blue oxford cloth shirts. What will our inner pharisees think of next?

:)

Edited by Moksha
gramer

now I am really confused.. there are rules, there are no rules.. does anyone have concrete info on this matter? I know we have our own agency.. I guess maybe I need some links to prophet talks in regards to dress.. and what the Church asks of us

Well - you want to be careful not to over-dress as there are potential consequences for it:

Isaiah 3:

16 Moreover the LORD says:

“ Because the daughters of Zion are haughty,

And walk with outstretched necks

And wanton eyes,

Walking and mincing as they go,

Making a jingling with their feet,

17 Therefore the Lord will strike with a scab

The crown of the head of the daughters of Zion,

And the LORD will uncover their secret parts.”

18 In that day the Lord will take away the finery:

The jingling anklets, the scarves, and the crescents;

19 The pendants, the bracelets, and the veils;

20 The headdresses, the leg ornaments, and the headbands;

The perfume boxes, the charms,

21 and the rings;

The nose jewels,

22 the festal apparel, and the mantles;

The outer garments, the purses,

23 and the mirrors;

The fine linen, the turbans, and the robes.

24 And so it shall be:

Instead of a sweet smell there will be a stench;

Instead of a sash, a rope;

Instead of well-set hair, baldness;

Instead of a rich robe, a girding of sackcloth;

And branding instead of beauty.

Rule 1: No demin for Sunday Church. A guy would never wear Levi's to Church - what make women think it is alright?

Rule 2: No fancy black lace hose and spiked heels - no matter what my 16 year daughter thinks.

Rule 3: No ties with cartoon characters on them.

Rule 4: Leisure Suits are fine - if it is 1979.

Rule 5: Leave the whiskey flask at home.

I disagree with #3. my fav ties are character ties!

a lady once came into the library (i'm not sure her age...around 25 or so) wearing a very skimpy skirt (which he continually had to pull down) and a all but transparent top.

what surprised and confused me was not the fact that she was wearing what she was (i wouldn't choose to dress in that way, but that is her choice), but the way she reacted to other people's reactions.

as soon as she came in, many of the men started staring, whistling, making suggestive comments, etc. all of this she heard.

and then, she got mad at them!

why would you expect to be treated like a lady when you wear the clothes of a....well, a woman of questionable occupation?

. it is just that. For the strength of the YOUTH

Youth don't understand consequence and have the same judgment that adults have so we give them absolutes, "Be home by 9," "do your homework before you go to practice" etc.

So while it does seem to have a good purpose (I.E. spirit of the law)

I wouldn't get to caught up in the specifics (I.E. letter) as an adult who can figure out what is or isn't appropriate , when and where.

Jesus would undoubtedly say that the boy following His way was what he would want. The vision of the white shirt and tie following the way, with perhaps the boy trailing behind seems a bit absurd, yet even in some of our local wards that seems to be the message. I have heard of the young Aaronic Priesthood boys not being allowed to pass the Sacrament without the "white shirt and tie".

If they were following Jesus' way, they would obey the counsel Jesus gave. That would include the counsel to sustain one's leaders, even in matters of white-shirt-wearing.

Any Aaronic Priesthood boy worthy to pass the sacrament would be only too happy to put on a white shirt and tie. If he does not own such garments, undoubtedly the bishop or other ward member would be only too happy to provide them for him. So the idea that worthy Aaronic Priesthood holders are denied the opportunity to serve because they don't wear the right clothes is simply a lie.

It is truly amazing how the color of the shirt got to be thought of as more reverential since 1995.

It didn't. Twenty years before that date, I was instructed to wear a white shirt and tie when passing the sacrament.

What will our inner pharisees think of next?

Probably something having to do with criticizing our leaders over instruction to wear white shirts while also criticizing them for holding firm to moral standards. The point is (say our inner pharisees), just make sure you're showing how much smarter and more spiritual you are than our leaders by criticizing them at every opportunity.

Edited by Vort
Math...

Probably something having to do with criticizing our leaders over instruction to wear white shirts while also criticizing them for holding firm to moral standards. The point is (say our inner pharisees), just make sure you're showing how much smarter and more spiritual you are than our leaders by criticizing them at every opportunity.

Hey, that every opportunity criticizing is really untrue. However I do think we all have some degree of an inner pharisee, that will allow us to bog down the truly spiritual with an over abundance of rules. How you have morphed a white color shirt into a firm moral standard is your own business. I would tend to find my standard in partaking of the Sacrament regardless of what color shirt the young boys are wearing. It is the act of the Sacrament and what it represents that holds importance to me.

I could well be a lone voice in the wilderness on this point, however I do not think making the Church into a cult of obedience is a way of honoring the Gospel. If I recognize when a fashion whim distorts the meaning of loving worship, then mea culpa.

If they were following Jesus' way, they would obey the counsel Jesus gave. That would include the counsel to sustain one's leaders, even in matters of white-shirt-wearing.

Any Aaronic Priesthood boy worthy to pass the sacrament would be only too happy to put on a white shirt and tie. If he does not own such garments, undoubtedly the bishop or other ward member would be only too happy to provide them for him. So the idea that worthy Aaronic Priesthood holders are denied the opportunity to serve because they don't wear the right clothes is simply a lie.

It didn't. Twenty years before that date, I was instructed to wear a white shirt and tie when passing the sacrament.

Our youth are becoming a serious problem in the ward. They fight (there's been literally blood on more than one occasion on a Sunday), swear, throw furniture around tell my husband they dont care, and no matter what he does they wont change (he is the SS teacher), yet they are still allowed to pass the sacrament. The white shirt should not matter. The behaviour should.

Our youth are becoming a serious problem in the ward. They fight (there's been literally blood on more than one occasion on a Sunday), swear, throw furniture around tell my husband they dont care, and no matter what he does they wont change (he is the SS teacher), yet they are still allowed to pass the sacrament. The white shirt should not matter. The behaviour should.

I disagree, Soul. I think a white shirt and tie is vital. After all, didn't John the Baptist baptize people while wearing a white shirt and tie?

Actually, that's unfair. I understand why the First Presidency suggest it: Sacrament shouldn't be a fashion parade, nor should people be buying the most expensive suits and making people feel like they're lesser for not having the same clothes. We should avoid being lifted up in pride and when people start fashion parading, that can happen.

On the other hand, individuality needs to be encouraged. I believe the white shirt and tie should be a guideline, while not a reason to ostracize someone with a different shirt. In fact, this is what the actual rules are. Huzzah for the wisdom of the Presidency! :D

Sounds like it's time for the Melchizedek priesthood to pass the sacrament for a while :o

Our youth are becoming a serious problem in the ward. They fight (there's been literally blood on more than one occasion on a Sunday), swear, throw furniture around tell my husband they don't care, and no matter what he does they wont change (he is the SS teacher), yet they are still allowed to pass the sacrament. The white shirt should not matter. The behavior should.

They should 'NOT BE PASSING' any Sacrament.

In Southern California however, denim on women is just wrong - according to me. Not wrong religiously, but wrong nevertheless.

My friend lives about 100 miles south of the Bay Area and although she is not LDS, every woman in her church wear denim skirts, t-shirts and flip-flops. I always make fun and call it there uniform. They wear this at all times though, not just at church. The only differance is that at church, they wear a lace veil. Although that custom seems to be dying out.

Sounds like it's time for the Melchizedek priesthood to pass the sacrament for a while :o

I lived in a ward where the Elders and the HPs took turns blessing/passing the Sacrament on Fast Sunday so the Aaronic Priesthood holders could sit with their families. It was wonderful and set a good example for the boys. Usually their leaders were some of those participating, they wore what they expected the boys to wear.

Then there is my parent's ward, downtown SLC: They rarely have any Aaronic Priesthood in their ward. When my sisters both blessed their babies in my parents ward my kids were teenagers. They (my kids) were amazed to see 70 and 80 yo High Priests blessing and passing the Sacrament. Another great experience!!! They wore a white shirt and tie without their suit jackets. :D

applepansy

They should 'NOT BE PASSING' any Sacrament.

I couldn't agree more. Our ward is dead, no one really cares, they are turning a blind eye so they don't have to deal with the problem and their Parents. If I voice any kind of solution/opinion I'm 'stirring'. :(