Proper Dress

TheyCallMeMom

I've been avoiding this because I find tangling with Vort about as enjoyable as castration,

I sincerely hope you are not speaking from experience. In any case, I love you, too.

Actually, I pretty much agree with everything you have written, including this:

At the same time, members who allow themselves to be distracted and judgmental because of a person's dress are in need of serious self-evaluation.

But as I pointed out to Moksha, this isn't about the people receiving the sacrament. It's about the young men administering it.

Let compassion and charity reign for those who administer and those being administered to.

True enough. And good luck with the castration thing.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TheyCallMeMom-I'm not sure if you are still checking this thread or not since it kinda morphed.

When you go through temple prep you can probably ask more detailed questions about the garment. When you actually go to the temple the first time the temple matron will tell you how to wear the garments in conjunction with your other clothing (ie. bra).

I agree with the 4 S's. I think it is an easy guidline to follow. Obviously anytime you undress you will remove them-doctor, hospital, massage, etc.

For a man who has been through the temple he is typically not going to just take his shirt off in the summer anymore. He will always wear at least a tshirt and shorts that hit the top of his knees.

A woman who has been through the temple will always wear at least cap sleeved tops and skirts or shorts that hit the top of the knee. The mid-section will always be covered. Tops will not delve too far in the front or back.

Necklines can be tricky sometimes. I find boat necks and scoop necks are usually out because they go too far over on the shoulders.

There are a lot of little tshirt businesses for LDS women that make modest tops that can go under all your sweaters or not modest enough shirts. They come in a wide variety of colors, etc.

I do remember preparing my sister to go to the temple. She had to get rid of sooo many clothes! She had lived in California and had lots and lots of tank tops. It is far better to start changing your clothing habits now so you don't have to buy a whole new wardrobe later. Way to go on starting now!

When you go through temple prep you can probably ask more detailed questions about the garment. When you actually go to the temple the first time the temple matron will tell you how to wear the garments in conjunction with your other clothing (ie. bra). [...]

For a man who has been through the temple he is typically not going to just take his shirt off in the summer anymore. He will always wear at least a tshirt and shorts that hit the top of his knees.

A woman who has been through the temple will always wear at least cap sleeved tops and skirts or shorts that hit the top of the knee. The mid-section will always be covered. Tops will not delve too far in the front or back.

Necklines can be tricky sometimes. I find boat necks and scoop necks are usually out because they go too far over on the shoulders.

That's quite a good summary of the sort of clothes you have to wear with garments. Also, be careful if you happen to wear one of the silkier materials, clothes tend to slide around quite a lot on those and can become unexpectedly immodest. :lol:

Also, as someone who just went through the temple in October, I thought I'd point out that temple workers no longer give any instructions about whether you have to wear the garment next to your skin (under your bra, etc); it's left up to the individual.

I remember years ago I moved from a small branch where I had a really nice denim suit.

I loved that suit and would wear it to church all the time and when I went out to "nice" places and occasions.

Well as I said, I moved from that area to a ward in New Mexico where the bishop took me aside and told me I must get a "nice" suit to wear to church.

My denim was not appropriate.

I think in many cases it depends on the norms of the area and the local bishop.

As some have pointed out and as I look around from place to place I have found what is accepted in some ares is not so much in others.

Bro. Rudick

I remember years ago I moved from a small branch where I had a really nice denim suit.

I loved that suit and would wear it to church all the time and when I went out to "nice" places and occasions.

Well as I said, I moved from that area to a ward in New Mexico where the bishop took me aside and told me I must get a "nice" suit to wear to church.

As some have pointed out and as I look around from place to place I have found what is accepted in some ares is not so much in others.

Bro. Rudick

I would have told him great, Christmas is coming up, and you know what to get me.

Restrictions on clothing fabric type are rules for the Jews, right next to stoning sabbath breakers IIRC.

Bro. Rudick

Please tell me you kept wearing it.:o

Please tell me you kept wearing it.:o

Nope.

About a month later I found a suit I liked, that he liked:p, and I only wore my best suit (my denim) to some MIA functions (I was a youth leader) and classes outside of Sacrament, Priesthood and Sunday School meetings.

Well, ya know. He is the Bishop.

Bro. Rudick

Edited by JohnnyRudick
Spelling;-(

Nope.

About a month later I found a suit I liked, that he liked:p, and I only wore my best suit (my denim) to some MIA functions (I was a youth leader) and classes outside of Sacrament, Priesthood and Sunday School meetings.

Well, ya know. He is the Bishop.

Bro. Rudick

Wow, an LDS member who actually believes in sustaining their local leaders! Kudos to you, sir! :cool:

Living in the midwest, our wards have always been more lax about Sunday attire. I've noticed families who move from the western states (Utah, Colorado and Arizona) are always dressed in suits with ties for the men, and dresses for women. They seem a bit shocked when they see us in skirts with tops, and men in button up shirts with no tie. It's just not how it's done here and no one has ever told us we should wear something different.

The guys passing sacrament are expected to wear a white shirt with tie, but that's about the extent of it. If for some reason you weren't expecting to pass sacrament, or you don't have a white shirt or tie then our branch has some in every size stored away with baptism clothes. It's no big deal, it's just what is asked and if you want to change after sacrament or something that's fine. It's just what is required of our priesthood as they pass sacrament. Nobody gets angry or put out about it, it's just what is asked by our BP. If we get a new BP who wishes them to wear something different, then that's fine too.

Living in the midwest, our wards have always been more lax about Sunday attire. I've noticed families who move from the western states (Utah, Colorado and Arizona) are always dressed in suits with ties for the men, and dresses for women. They seem a bit shocked when they see us in skirts with tops, and men in button up shirts with no tie. It's just not how it's done here and no one has ever told us we should wear something different.

The guys passing sacrament are expected to wear a white shirt with tie, but that's about the extent of it. If for some reason you weren't expecting to pass sacrament, or you don't have a white shirt or tie then our branch has some in every size stored away with baptism clothes. It's no big deal, it's just what is asked and if you want to change after sacrament or something that's fine. It's just what is required of our priesthood as they pass sacrament. Nobody gets angry or put out about it, it's just what is asked by our BP. If we get a new BP who wishes them to wear something different, then that's fine too.

Skirts with top? Skirts with tops? I live in the Salt Lake Valley and I can tell you the women I see go to church equate skirts with tops as being just as appropriate as one-piece dresses. They are never looked down on or frowned upon in the meetings I have been privy to. Sure, we get the odd wacky mom who insists on putting her daughters in pioneer-style dresses on Sunday, but they are the exception, not the rule. We also get guys who wear colored shirts without ties on, too. It's no big deal. But it's also understood that if you are going to participate in the blessing and passing of the Sacrament ordinance, it is preferable that you wear a white shirt and a tie.

Were they expecting you to wear a skirts with no tops? Now that's my kind of ward.

Hidden

I've noticed families who move from the western states (Utah, Colorado and Arizona) are always dressed in suits with ties for the men, and dresses for women. They seem a bit shocked when they see us in skirts with tops

Not half as shocked as they would be to see you in skirts without tops.

Guaranteed.

EDIT: Bah, MoE stole my thunder.

Living in the midwest, our wards have always been more lax about Sunday attire. I've noticed families who move from the western states (Utah, Colorado and Arizona) are always dressed in suits with ties for the men, and dresses for women. They seem a bit shocked when they see us in skirts with tops, and men in button up shirts with no tie.

Really? I'm shocked. Maybe they were all from the same family.

I live in Colorado and in the two wards that meet in our building we probably have 4-5 women in pants each Sunday.

I see far more skirts than dresses.......including denim.

You'll see everything from cowboy boots to dress shoes to sneakers on the men.

I think it varies ward to ward.

Edited by TruthSeekerToo

last year i was gong through a divorce, and was broke. I put on a lot of weight and few of my clothes fit. I didn't want to spend money on a dress that was needed for a short time. I chose to go to walmart and buy a few pairs of dressy jeans that were totally suitable for my workplace until i could get the "stress related weight" off. I chose to wear the dressy jeans with a classy blazer and pearls to church for several months. No one said anything.

the weight's off now, and back to wearing skirts again.

I think I should have clarified.

By skirts and tops I mean most of the girls at my branch and former ward wore blue jean skirts and t-shirts or tank tops. Usually with like flip-flops. I wasn't referring to like cotton skirts with heels. That to me is more dress-upish.

And yeah, a lot of these people are from the same (very conservative) family.

I think I should have clarified.

By skirts and tops I mean most of the girls at my branch and former ward wore blue jean skirts and t-shirts or tank tops. Usually with like flip-flops. I wasn't referring to like cotton skirts with heels. That to me is more dress-upish.

And yeah, a lot of these people are from the same (very conservative) family.

Living in Hawaii, wearing a lava-lava dress was a proper Sunday attire and they included sandals. :D

We had a young couple that were baptized. The man always wore a coat and tie to church. Shortly after baptism he was arrested for a drug violation. Another member went with him to court and saved him from doing time in prison. The next week he showed up at church in shorts and a t-shirt with this tracking device attached to his leg. It's like he was wearing it like a badge of honor. This may be stretching the "proper dress" code a bit.:o

We had a young couple that were baptized. The man always wore a coat and tie to church. Shortly after baptism he was arrested for a drug violation. Another member went with him to court and saved him from doing time in prison. The next week he showed up at church in shorts and a t-shirt with this tracking device attached to his leg. It's like he was wearing it like a badge of honor. This may be stretching the "proper dress" code a bit.:o

I just don't understand any of this.

I have visited quite a few wards and branches and I can't remember seeing any ladies in slacks on Sunday nor flip-flops.

I must admit I don't look at the ladies much but you would think that would get my attention.

Things have really changed from back when I had anything to do with it.

I thought that maybe this would someday come about.

Just did not think I would ever live to be able to see it.

I understand when things happen to an individual and you can't afford to have "proper" dress.

But as soon as you can. . .

Just no respect for the things of God?

More concern for "blending in" with the world?

What's up?

Bro. Rudick

I just don't understand any of this.

I have visited quite a few wards and branches and I can't remember seeing any ladies in slacks on Sunday nor flip-flops.

I must admit I don't look at the ladies much but you would think that would get my attention.

Things have really changed from back when I had anything to do with it.

I thought that maybe this would someday come about.

Just did not think I would ever live to be able to see it.

I understand when things happen to an individual and you can't afford to have "proper" dress.

But as soon as you can. . .

Just no respect for the things of God?

More concern for "blending in" with the world?

What's up?

Bro. Rudick

Clothes have absolutely nothing to do ones respect for God.(If he sees all i would think wearing "the wrong thing" to church is the least of our problems ).

Clothes have absolutely nothing to do ones respect for God.

Would you attend your sister's wedding in blue jeans and a t-shirt? If she voiced any objection, would you shout her down by saying how petty she was being, and she should just be glad to see you there at all?

(If he sees all i would think wearing "the wrong thing" to church is the least of our problems ).

Probably, but that's not the issue. If you are too proud to wear a decent outfit, insisting instead on "doing your own thang" by wearing whatever you want, then you most certainly are not in harmony with the Spirit, regardless of what you're wearing.

Would you attend your sister's wedding in blue jeans and a t-shirt? If she voiced any objection, would you shout her down by saying how petty she was being, and she should just be glad to see you there at all?

Probably, but that's not the issue. If you are too proud to wear a decent outfit, insisting instead on "doing your own thang" by wearing whatever you want, then you most certainly are not in harmony with the Spirit, regardless of what you're wearing.

I agree with you mostly on this also.

There are times though I find things are much too strict.

I feel people should treat the sanctuary/Chapel with respect.

You are right.

Would you treat your sisters wedding with more respect then the wedding of the Lord Jesus Christ.

I can't believe any Bishop would allow it.

But, that's just me I guess.:(

Bro. Rudick

That's out of respect for her. A non onnimopant being who is "shallow" enough (for lack of a better term) to be concerned about how things look.

I would say if one insisted on doing there own thing to shock, or purposely draw attention, then you would be right. However if they do their own thing because they would rather focus on the message then trying to fit in with the crowd then they would be emulating Jesus himself.