Proper Dress

TheyCallMeMom

That's out of respect for her. A non onnimopant being who is "shallow" enough (for lack of a better term) to be concerned about how things look.

I would say if one insisted on doing there own thing to shock, or purposely draw attention, then you would be right. However if they do their own thing because they would rather focus on the message then trying to fit in with the crowd then they would be emulating Jesus himself.

Hummmmmmmmmmm:cool:

I think I see the spirit of what you are getting at.

It is just that there are those who see people in their comfort and take advantage and trample on the sanctuary of our God.

Bro. Rudick

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

All I know is that in other churches, women such as myself often wear nice slacks instead of dresses or skirts. I think that's frowned upon in the LDS church because when I've driven past one on a Sunday, I've noticed the women were wearing dresses or skirts.

Yes, I have attended other churches from time to time with friends and have seen that in those churches.

But I have never seen it personally myself in LDS Churches.

I have seen what you have.

Dresses and skirts which I feel is more appropriate and more respectful to the dignity of the Lord's House of Worship.

Bro. Rudick

Clothes have absolutely nothing to do ones respect for God. (If he sees all i would think wearing "the wrong thing" to church is the least of our problems ).

Would you say that being focused on judging clothing is an attachment to things of the world, rather than to things of the spirit, and as such is missing the grander message? Making it not, "come unto me" but "come unto me dressed with the proper attire which we have proscribed".

Ok here goes.... I have worn flip-flops when I moved and couldn't find my dress shoes.. didn't take away from the messages ..... still had a dress on.... no one minded.....

know some who come in pants for medical reasons...

Have stopped in before going to work in pants before..... I think the inportant part is being there

There are really no "rules" for dress in the church oother than what is modest. With plans to attend the temple I strongly agree to start now to chaneg your wardrobe to suit the garment. When something slips or shifts my mom always says my religion is showing.

The garment is worn everyday for the rest of your life. It is a reminder and a protection to us. I know of a brother who worked a fishing boat in the Bering Sea. One day he was in his bunk when a call came for man overboard. He didn't think he just went up on deck in jeans, t-shirt and garments and went in after the guy who was at that point in bad shape. When both were pulled out my friend went back down to his bunk to change his wet clothes. His garment was bone dry. One thing ... the garment is always worn against the skin.

Clothing for church is a matter of respect for the Lords house ... I cannot go in the chapel in pants ... buts that's just me.

All I know is that in other churches, women such as myself often wear nice slacks instead of dresses or skirts. I think that's frowned upon in the LDS church because when I've driven past one on a Sunday, I've noticed the women were wearing dresses or skirts.

It is not the Church that is doing the frowning - it is a few of the members.

I pretty much wear only slacks to church. I make my own from lightweight, cotton fabric- they have elastic waists, the legs are WIDE- I took apart a pair that was worn very thin and made my own pattern. I vary the hem length too- to my knees for summer, and I have two pairs that go to my ankles, for when I go to colder climes to visit kin.

I can't find dresses in summer weight fabrics that have sleeves- sun dresses yes, but then you have to wear a knit top under it. That adds more clothes and I get way too warm. The skirts that are in the stores here in my County are geared for the teen set, even though they are Women's sizes, or they are in colors and patterns and fabrics that I label Hooker/Street Walker clothes. I refuse to wear leopard print- or jersey fabric in any weather!!

If anyone disproves of what I wear I don't notice it, and quite frankly I don't give a __ __ __ __, My Dear.

My husband used to suffer through summer (average outside temp 115 degrees- constant inside temp of the meetinghouse 95 degrees & no air circulation) wearing a suit jacket - Until I pointed out that ONLY the Bishopric wore suit jackets. I made him pay attention to all the men in the Ward - sure enough only the Bishopric wore Suit Jackets!

We had a new convert - woman- who wore sweats to church. They were new, and unfortunately they were too big. She was a recovering addict, and had just got her first job working at Wal Mart. The only clothes she owned was two white blouses and pair of black jeans. She went to the thrift store and bought two sweat outfits- one baby pink and one baby blue.

The women in my ward were not friendly with her at all. I would move over a chair in RS when she came in and I would pat the seat in invitation for her to sit. Then one of the richer young sister decided to take her under her wing. This new convert ended up coming to church in excessive make up, over the top/evening wear clothes.

Months later I saw this convert at my favorite thrift store(they have THE best books w/the best prices). She was looking for church clothes. I asked her how much she had to spend- she told me about $50.00. I then asked her if she was comfortable in dresses or skirts & blouses. She said neither.

So I took her to the dress slacks racks and helped her pick out about 4 pairs and then we matched up about 3 to 4 blouses to go with each. They were all marked about $5 to $10 each, but that day the store was having a 75% off sale on EVERYTHING- We also found two pairs of dressier shoes for her.

YES you can wear slacks to church - you can also wear jeans. I didn't push with this woman about her not wearing a dress or skirt. It really is a non-issue. She comes to Church every Sunday- she participates in classes - had she been extended a calling she undoubtedly would have accepted and magnified it.

She has now been a member for three years. She no longer applies the makeup with a trowel- she has learned to tone it down. She still wears slacks which she buys from thrift stores. Her blouses have evolved into much more modest styles- no plunging necklines or midriff baring. She looks way better than the BIC women in their long sleeved, to the ankle dresses that are so tight in the bodice and stomach area.

Mom- you should wear clean clothes, modest styles=does not show any skin from above the knees, or bare shoulders (cap sleeves should be the shortest sleeves you wear), no cleavage or plunging back or front. No cutouts on either the top or bottoms that expose skin, or clothes that look like they are painted on.

Evening wear & sport clothing really are not appropriate- but if it is all you have, then it is okay.

Would you say that being focused on judging clothing is an attachment to things of the world, rather than to things of the spirit, and as such is missing the grander message? Making it not, "come unto me" but "come unto me dressed with the proper attire which we have proscribed".

If the clothing were proscribed, you probably wouldn't wear it anyway.

It is not the Church that is doing the frowning - it is a few of the members...If anyone disproves of what I wear I don't notice it, and quite frankly I don't give a __ __ __ __, My Dear...YES you can wear slacks to church - you can also wear jeans.

I confess, I'm baffled by the emotion and even hostility raised by this topic. It seems so clear to me that I cannot quite see why others don't understand.

To me, the following seem transparently obvious:

• God has no stated fashion preference, beyond wanting his children attired modestly.
  • It is better to be at Church than not to be at Church (assuming you're going to Church to worship and not to disrupt the meeting).
  • If you only have stretchy pants or blue jeans with holes in them, go to Church in them.
  • No one should ever look down at anyone else based on the clothing s/he is wearing (or based on how s/he sounds or smells or anything else like that).
  • Clothing, per se, does not make you less or more righteous.
The following also seem transparently obvious:

• We should dress appropriate for the occasion: If we are going to the beach, we dress for that, and if we are going to worship God, we dress for that.
  • The way we comport ourselves, including our manner of dress, can have an influence on our fellow worshippers.
  • We are to set an example for all, especially for children, new members, and visitors.
  • If our Priesthood leaders ask us to wear certain clothing (or cut our hair or grow a beard or accept a calling), we should do so unless we have a very, very good reason not to do so.
  • Apostles of the Lord have asked us in General Conference to be appropriately attired for sacrament meeting.
  • Bishops have full authority to conduct and approve of those who administer the sacrament, including in issues of dress, hair style, and conduct.
  • To me and to all those I have ever asked, simple "nice" clothing (i.e. Sunday clothes) evoke a more reverential mood than ripped jeans and thrash metal t-shirts.

So the solution to all the breast-beating is simple:

Wear appropriate attire to sacrament meeting. Don't look down on people who wear seemingly inappropriate attire to sacrament meeting. If your Priesthood leader asks you to dress a certain way, do so.

Am I missing something?

It is not the Church that is doing the frowning - it is a few of the members.

I pretty much wear only slacks to church. I make my own from lightweight, cotton fabric- they have elastic waists, the legs are WIDE- I took apart a pair that was worn very thin and made my own pattern. I vary the hem length too- to my knees for summer, and I have two pairs that go to my ankles, for when I go to colder climes to visit kin.

I can't find dresses in summer weight fabrics that have sleeves- sun dresses yes, but then you have to wear a knit top under it. That adds more clothes and I get way too warm. The skirts that are in the stores here in my County are geared for the teen set, even though they are Women's sizes, or they are in colors and patterns and fabrics that I label Hooker/Street Walker clothes. I refuse to wear leopard print- or jersey fabric in any weather!!

If anyone disproves of what I wear I don't notice it, and quite frankly I don't give a __ __ __ __, My Dear.

My husband used to suffer through summer (average outside temp 115 degrees- constant inside temp of the meetinghouse 95 degrees & no air circulation) wearing a suit jacket - Until I pointed out that ONLY the Bishopric wore suit jackets. I made him pay attention to all the men in the Ward - sure enough only the Bishopric wore Suit Jackets!

We had a new convert - woman- who wore sweats to church. They were new, and unfortunately they were too big. She was a recovering addict, and had just got her first job working at Wal Mart. The only clothes she owned was two white blouses and pair of black jeans. She went to the thrift store and bought two sweat outfits- one baby pink and one baby blue.

The women in my ward were not friendly with her at all. I would move over a chair in RS when she came in and I would pat the seat in invitation for her to sit. Then one of the richer young sister decided to take her under her wing. This new convert ended up coming to church in excessive make up, over the top/evening wear clothes.

Months later I saw this convert at my favorite thrift store(they have THE best books w/the best prices). She was looking for church clothes. I asked her how much she had to spend- she told me about $50.00. I then asked her if she was comfortable in dresses or skirts & blouses. She said neither.

So I took her to the dress slacks racks and helped her pick out about 4 pairs and then we matched up about 3 to 4 blouses to go with each. They were all marked about $5 to $10 each, but that day the store was having a 75% off sale on EVERYTHING- We also found two pairs of dressier shoes for her.

YES you can wear slacks to church - you can also wear jeans. I didn't push with this woman about her not wearing a dress or skirt. It really is a non-issue. She comes to Church every Sunday- she participates in classes - had she been extended a calling she undoubtedly would have accepted and magnified it.

She has now been a member for three years. She no longer applies the makeup with a trowel- she has learned to tone it down. She still wears slacks which she buys from thrift stores. Her blouses have evolved into much more modest styles- no plunging necklines or midriff baring. She looks way better than the BIC women in their long sleeved, to the ankle dresses that are so tight in the bodice and stomach area.

Mom- you should wear clean clothes, modest styles=does not show any skin from above the knees, or bare shoulders (cap sleeves should be the shortest sleeves you wear), no cleavage or plunging back or front. No cutouts on either the top or bottoms that expose skin, or clothes that look like they are painted on.

Evening wear & sport clothing really are not appropriate- but if it is all you have, then it is okay.

:bouncingclap::clap::)

From personal experience in my home ward the way people dress for Sacrement meeting is directly related to where they are in their spiritual growth. As they grow and learn their dress changes and comes more to what they feel the Lord would have them do. When in doubt take a look at the GA and the Auxiliary leaders ... or dress as you would to attend the temple.

From personal experience in my home ward the way people dress for Sacrement meeting is directly related to where they are in their spiritual growth. As they grow and learn their dress changes and comes more to what they feel the Lord would have them do. When in doubt take a look at the GA and the Auxiliary leaders ... or dress as you would to attend the temple.

This is what I've observed also.

I've also met some very spiritual people who because of illness or other adversity do not have the means to dress well. Still they wear their best and are neat, clean and modest. When I work at the temple I see this a lot more.

And really that is all the Lord expects. We shouldn't expect more.

applepansy

Concur....but we need to remember for those who are newly converted, it is also done out of ignorance.

I agree.

But here is "Where the Rubber Meets the Road".

No, for you young'ens.

I'm not being vulgar here:eek:

How many time do we think this.

"If only they knew they would dress better."

"It is only ignorance that keeps them back."

"I will help them."

Yeah, right.

Embarrass them and make them think you are a bunch of pharisees you will.

Better for them in time to have it dawn on them

"Hay, look at how everyone else is dressed.

Is this do to respect for the Lord's House?

I will try to dress better also."

Just a thought:p

Bro. Rudick

I agree.

But here is "Where the Rubber Meets the Road".

No, for you young'ens.

I'm not being vulgar here:eek:

How many time do we think this.

"If only they knew they would dress better."

"It is only ignorance that keeps them back."

"I will help them."

Yeah, right.

Embarrass them and make them think you are a bunch of pharisees you will.

Better for them in time to have it dawn on them

"Hay, look at how everyone else is dressed.

Is this do to respect for the Lord's House?

I will try to dress better also."

Just a thought:p

Bro. Rudick

There is a proper way to offer help. It can be done without embarassment. In the best of the Wards we've lived in the dress issues were addressed through the Relief Society in a confidential manner and the DI was utilized. People in tough circumstances usually appreciate the offer of help. They either don't know how to ask, or they don't know there are resources, or they are embarassed to ask. But when a kind, heartfelt offer of help is extended (with the Spirit) it works every time.

With the "true love of Christ" all things are possible.

applepansy

There is a proper way to offer help. It can be done without embarassment. In the best of the Wards we've lived in the dress issues were addressed through the Relief Society in a confidential manner and the DI was utilized. People in tough circumstances usually appreciate the offer of help. They either don't know how to ask, or they don't know there are resources, or they are embarassed to ask. But when a kind, heartfelt offer of help is extended (with the Spirit) it works every time.

With the "true love of Christ" all things are possible.

applepansy

It works most of the time.

And it is a very good system.

I feel if you have to "confront" people there is no better way to do it.

But we are dealing with people.

There have been hurt feelings but I guess some people maybe look for reasons for their feelings to get hurt, huh?

Bro. Rudick