New Alternative Swear Words

Liber

Linguists tell as that hundreds of new words are added to the English language every year. I think it is now our turn to do our part in enriching the English lexicon. Please post your favorite alternative swear words hear, and please keep it clean!

In honor of our nation's attempts at economic recovery, I hereby declare TARP to be a new swear word! I recommend using it in the following contexts:

You son of a TARP!

Ewww, I just stepped in a big pile of TARP!

TARP OFF!

TARP IT!

I think you get the spirit of it!:)

Uffda? Could you use that in a sentence for me?

Is it kind of like: What a bunch of Pelosi! You guys are TARPing the uffda out of me!

Good, I like it!

I used to live in Pahrump, Nevada. "Pahrump IT!" quickly became a favorite of most of my mission companions!

Guest Alana

FIDDLESTICKS!

In all caps because I'm usually yelling it, after dropping something on my foot.

Also, farfenuggen. Not sure how to spell it. Farf-en-nuggen.

In a side note. When my brother was three he learned some bad words and thought it was awesome to yell them as loud as possible. Having him think fiddle sticks was a bad word, the worst of them all, was very helpful while grocery shopping.

Russian composers' names lend themselves well as alternative swear words. My favorite is Schostacovich. You just yell out the name, it sounds great. SCHOSTACOVICH!!

Or how 'bout Funk & Wagnalls (as in the publishing company). You gotta really emphasize the Funk. AH, FUNK n WAGNALL!

Guest Godless

When I was in boot camp, I had a drill sergeant who called us all "huckapucks". I found that amusing.

Edit: Speaking of political expletives, I hereby propose we banish the word "Cheney" from the American English vernacular now that he no longer matters.

LOL.... Anyone watch Battlestar Gallactica. They have a whole list of alternate swear words. The most often used in the series is "frack"....

To me... it doesn't matter which word you use its still swearing. Yes, I swear on occassion. Oh Heck, Dang, Dang it, H&D, . . . When my kids were young H&D got them moving real fast. They knew Mom was at the end of her rope when she said "H AND D!!!" :eek:

applepansy

EDIT: I've only heard my husband swear twice in 34 years (I'm including the two years we dated.) He tells the story of going with the neighbor (Sheep Rancher) to buy some lambs. The rancher they were visiting couldn't say a single sentence without inserting a swear word. It was really overwhelming. The man my husband was with quietly told the boys (his son and my husband) that some people just didn't know better. That's all he said. It made a big impression on my husband and he just doesn't swear. His coworkers and employees over the years eventually ask me if he ever swears at home, so I'm guessing he doesn't swear at work either. :D

Edited by applepansy

my kids were watching this cartoon with these circus clowns that were preparing for a picnic and the mom just knew she was forgetting something and then she remembers and exclaims "oh, candy apples!" i was in the other room and heard it and thought the way she said it that it sounded like an alternate to swearing. i thought it was pretty funny, keep saying i'm going to use it but never remember when the opportunity comes. lol

Let’s see, what are some of the ones we have used in the past…

Exclamatory Oaths:

Oh my stars and garters!

That frosts my cake/case!

Darn it all!

Dag nabbit!

Dog gone it! (which turns into “Dog Vomit”) which can also be said, “Dog gone it all!”

Oh my goodness!

Oh my golly gosh!

Frell off! (from Farscape – used much like the “F” word)

POed (for being angry) used as – “He got me so POed!”

Fornication! (also used like the “F” word)

Screw it! (which I thought was one of the worst swears growing up)

Mild Oaths:

I feel blargley today.

Guest Alana

Let’s see, what are some of the ones we have used in the past…

Exclamatory Oaths:

Oh my stars and garters!

That frosts my cake/case!

Darn it all!

Dag nabbit!

Dog gone it! (which turns into “Dog Vomit”) which can also be said, “Dog gone it all!”

Oh my goodness!

Oh my golly gosh!

Frell off! (from Farscape – used much like the “F” word)

POed (for being angry) used as – “He got me so POed!”

Fornication! (also used like the “F” word)

Screw it! (which I thought was one of the worst swears growing up)

Mild Oaths:

I feel blargley today.

Frell, I remember that one! We almost named our daughter Moya, after the ship on that show. Ok, not after the ship, but like the ship. We're dorks;)

Some of the kids at my daughter's elementary school have taken to using the word "Frack" from the Battlestar Galactica show.

I always understood BG's writers' need to make up a word to replace another one, because it really is used by real people.

But it just never had the same . . . zing. It just made laugh.

I had no idea people are really using it though. It would be interesting to see if the word becomes part of our vocabulary.

Of course, not anyone's vocabulary HERE.

Elphaba

i'm not sure that she's such a wonderful rolemodel, but i like the way that hannah montana says, "oh, sweet nibblets!" instead of swearing. it sounds funny and tasty at the same time!

Please don't tell me you watch Hanna Montana. That would mean we could no longer be friends. :P

I'm Filipino. I speak Bisaya.

In Bisaya, the spanish word for milk (leche) is a swear word. Truly! I believe it is a disparaging statement about one's skin color similar to the "n" word except it is about "light skinned" ones, thus milk color. Usually followed by "yawa" which is bisaya for "devil".

Also, cholera (a chicken disease) is a swear word. Lots of Filipinos raise chickens so you're basically saying "i wish all your chickens get cholera!" or some such...

But, when I was growing up, we didn't know what the f-word meant, so we would use it instead of leche or cholera, to "tone down" our swearing and not get in trouble. Then I come to America... hah!

So, now, I've been teaching the kids that the word used is not as important as the intent of the usage. So, before you swear, check your emotions and see if you can neutralize the emotion internally before letting a word out... so now, they would say, "check your emotions!" as a swear word!