Unauthorized Journeys into Youtube

talisyn

I logged onto my youtube account today and discovered someone had left comments on a video that was uploaded. I thought it was about my silly spore creation, but then I clicked on the link and realized my daughter had uploaded a video she took with the webcam of a skit she wrote, acted out by her stuffed cats. It was adorable and charming and I'm gonna ground her for a month. Has anyone else had any surprises like this or am I the only one with a budding Cecil B. Demille? I suppose I should be grateful she's not taking after Michael Moore :P

Ground her for a month? Why? That's an awful long time to be grounded.

It doesn't seem like she thought it was a bad thing to do since she did use your account. She could have created her own account without your knowledge instead, right?

I'm also curious, are you going to delete the video or leave it up?

So, I trust she knew she was violating established rules when she uploaded that video? That's why the harsh punishment, right?

From where I'm standing, it's my role as a parent to help my kids understand technology (especially online stuff), understand the ins and outs, the dangers and wonders, and how to appropriately navigate such waters. I'd help my daughter set up her own youtube account, and start notifying relatives and well-wishers about this new source of adorable and charming.

LM

I've gone over internet rules since she learned how to use the keyboard to communicate, so yes she knew them. The long punishment (honestly, it's probably gonna be pc restriction for 1 week, not 1 month) is because she simply is not understanding why she can't do this stuff without my permission.

I've left the videos up, Ruthichan, mostly cause my family is scattered all over the place and wanted to see them. She is on video restriction for 1 week. Also, she can't watch iCarly during this time.

It hasn't been a wailing and gnashing of teeth thing either :D

She's writing scripts and reading so she can get ideas for her next episodes. She's trying to get her live cats to cooperate but they're big toms and have their own agenda lol.

I agree about teaching kids about the internet, LMM. I guess the problem comes when they learn more then you think they did :P

• 1 month later...

IMOPO I thinik you're being really harsh on the poor girl. Yes I understand that some family rules were broken and these have consequences but only think the girl did was upload a video that you yourself consider to be "charming" at least you know you raised her right cause she's not out there uploading videos of herself in provocative poses or skin flicks!

I would consider if my actions/reactions will lead to her being more careful to hide it from me the next time. There will be a next time. I would take the route you feel best encourages her to be open and honest with you so that you can maintain influence and continue to be a guiding light through the rough teen years to come--assuming she is an older child at this point.

As parents I believe our responsibility is about setting limits and rules so that children can learn. Breaking a rule causes there to be a punishment. Obeying a rule a reward.

I think it is a pattern taught in the scriptures too. For obedience there is a blessing for disobedience there is a penalty.

Ben Raines

how old is she?

She's 9 years old.

TY everyone for your comments. I think (ok I know) the reason I got so upset was because if she uploaded unauthorized content to youtube what's to stop her from going to chat sites and just talk away? I keep checking her myspace page and even though it's set to 'private' she keeps trying to put her full name up. Basic simple internet-safety rules need to be followed, at least until the time where modern civilization collapses and PCs become really big paperweights :P