BYU and being homesick.

I know that a lot of people that go to BYU or BYU-ID are from out of state. Since the church is so big on families, how to y'all cope with being so far from your family?

I REALLY want to go to BYU-ID then transferring to U of Utah, but I don't want to leave my family. I live with my 73 year old grandmother and my little brother (parents passed), so I don't want to be gone for 4 years.

I'm actually thinking about just going to community college then transferring to UofU; if you knew me it takes ALOT for me to consider community college.

Any words of advice?

Well this applies to anyone going away for uni. I personally chose to go to a uni only an hour away from home. I drove home on the weekends and sometimes in the week too. It gave me the independance I wanted but I was near enough in case I got too homesick. You know yourself, if you will e really really homesick them I would choose somewhere u can live at home. Or if you want a bit of freedom, go somewhere not too far like I did.

I know that a lot of people that go to BYU or BYU-ID are from out of state. Since the church is so big on families, how to y'all cope with being so far from your family?

I REALLY want to go to BYU-ID then transferring to U of Utah, but I don't want to leave my family. I live with my 73 year old grandmother and my little brother (parents passed), so I don't want to be gone for 4 years.

I'm actually thinking about just going to community college then transferring to UofU; if you knew me it takes ALOT for me to consider community college.

Any words of advice?

Stick with it....

How far away from BYU-ID are you? There are many people who will come down on the weekends to Utah, so if your family is from Utah there is the ability to come down and visit them on weekends. Truthfully though going off to college is an important thing. It allows you to become your own person and get a clearer idea about becoming an adult. Though I am sure you are worried about your family, they will be ok without you, and going to college is something that I think everyone should experience. It is a part of your life that you will never forget and will allow you to forge friendships that you will always remember.

I was very homesick when I went out to college, I grew up in IL and went out to BYU-ID, however by the time I returned home for Christmas I was speaking of college as home and thinking of IL as my second home. I would say go off to college and if things are just terrible after a semester or two then you can always return and change your plans. But at least give it a try.

Well this applies to anyone going away for uni. I personally chose to go to a uni only an hour away from home. I drove home on the weekends and sometimes in the week too. It gave me the independance I wanted but I was near enough in case I got too homesick. You know yourself, if you will e really really homesick them I would choose somewhere u can live at home. Or if you want a bit of freedom, go somewhere not too far like I did.

Yeah, I pretty much meant this to anyone going to an out-of-state college. Sorry. :)

That's what I really want to do, but colleges in my area don't have my major and only one university in my entire state has my major.

Thank for the reply. :)

How far away from BYU-ID are you? There are many people who will come down on the weekends to Utah, so if your family is from Utah there is the ability to come down and visit them on weekends. Truthfully though going off to college is an important thing. It allows you to become your own person and get a clearer idea about becoming an adult. Though I am sure you are worried about your family, they will be ok without you, and going to college is something that I think everyone should experience. It is a part of your life that you will never forget and will allow you to forge friendships that you will always remember.

I was very homesick when I went out to college, I grew up in IL and went out to BYU-ID, however by the time I returned home for Christmas I was speaking of college as home and thinking of IL as my second home. I would say go off to college and if things are just terrible after a semester or two then you can always return and change your plans. But at least give it a try.

Since I'm such a creep, I google mapped it. Apparently it's about a 23 hour drive and a 3 hour flight. I live in Texas, so it's pretty far.

I never really considered myself to be that close to my family, until applying for colleges came along. The major that I plan on having is only offered in one university in my entire state.

The way I'm trying to look at it is this: Either way, I'm going to be going to a school far from home; it's wait 2 year and go through the same feeling or such have an ACTUAL college experience and go.

Thanks for the words of advice. :)

i remember a conference talk 5-6 years ago either Pres. Hinckley or Monson...about not going to BYU from out of state, but attending the local state colleges...(and there are several good ones in TX) and the local instititue....sorry for being so vague...i only remember it cause my branch pres was so proud of his girls going to BYU form here