why does the church take a back seat to enviromental issues?

bcguy

Not once since being a member has the church ever mentioned anything about global issues that affect our very survival. It this just a normal practive or what else could be the cause?

Global warming is affecting everyone now and more severly into the future. Being that I was born in the 60s, we used to have winters that were equal to that from BC canada. Our winters had 2-3 feet of snow. Not any more.

In the 30-3-50s photo images showed my town of Gig harbors seawater in its bay had frozen over. In my lifetime living there, that has never happened.

I would like to know if the church has taken up a discussion on this issue.

BTW, what is everyone doing for earth day?

Also, I think I just found a part time job 2 blocks from my house. So now I can walk to work :)

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not sure what you wanted the church to say about global warming... and, church and environment goes hand in hand - I mean, it's in the first chapter of Genesis - to be responsible stewards of God's creation.

It was 30 degrees in north Florida 2 weeks ago... that was unusually cold for that time of year. And here I thought I was south enough not to be freezing my hiney off. I guess I need to move to Key West!

Maybe because there is no proof that global warming is human-caused? However,you will be happy to know that not too long ago the church turned off the temple lights for an hour, and The Big Fraud, aka Al Gore, recently gave a presentation on his views to select church leaders in SLC. I'll bet he failed to mention the fact that the earth's core temps have not risen over the last 8 years.

Maybe because there is no proof that global warming is human-caused? However,you will be happy to know that not too long ago the church turned off the temple lights for an hour, and The Big Fraud, aka Al Gore, recently gave a presentation on his views to select church leaders in SLC. I'll bet he failed to mention the fact that the earth's core temps have not risen over the last 8 years.

or the bogus clips of those poor little stranded polar bears......;)

Seems to me the church is involved. Here are a few examples.

Church Leaders Meet with Al Gore - LDS Newsroom

Church Urges Alternatives for Nuclear Waste - LDS Newsroom

LDS.org - New Era Article - Ecology, Pollution, and Consumerism (this one's from 1971)

This is from an article about the revitalization of downtowm SLC:

Architects working on all components of the project are incorporating environmentally responsible, sustainable design concepts that make wise use of energy resources.

Here's an article about what Junior High kids are thinking about. It includes a section on their ideas to solve polution problems.

LDS.org - New Era Article - The Twelve-year-old World

I'll bet he failed to mention the fact that the earth's core temps have not risen over the last 8 years.

Nobody suggested the ground itself is running a fever. I am pretty sure they are talking about climatic changes.

If only there had been something mentioned in the Book of Revelations about the glaciers melting due to Barak Obama - then we would be all over it, eh?

:)

Why would one expect the temperature to have risen?

Nobody suggested the ground itself is running a fever. I am pretty sure they are talking about climatic changes.

If only there had been something mentioned in the Book of Revelations about the glaciers melting due to Barak Obama - then we would be all over it, eh?

:)

Obama gets the blame for that??? I thought everyone blamed Bush for that...I mean afterall...hurricanes, floods, etc....:)

Not once since being a member has the church ever mentioned anything about global issues that affect our very survival. It this just a normal practive or what else could be the cause?

Global warming is affecting everyone now and more severly into the future. Being that I was born in the 60s, we used to have winters that were equal to that from BC canada. Our winters had 2-3 feet of snow. Not any more.

In the 30-3-50s photo images showed my town of Gig harbors seawater in its bay had frozen over. In my lifetime living there, that has never happened.

I would like to know if the church has taken up a discussion on this issue.

Also, I think I just found a part time job 2 blocks from my house. So now I can walk to work :)

If I would remove all the cars, industries, and anything that seems to pollute the air, water, and land, the earth would still heat up. This has nothing to do how we manage our resources, though, we should do a better job and be more conscious in using our resources, and the earth is no different from you as to physical growth. Progression is the key here. So why would the church take issue if one knows what is coming and why. :rolleyes:

Even in California, where summer HEAT has hit new highs, already made it presence throughout our winter. Was it global warming or perhaps, someone with a great deal faith and the priesthood, modifying the weather? ^_^

Edited by Hemidakota

alabama is getting colder, we've been getting snow in march, hasn't happened in yrs. i don't think things are changing as a whole so much as shifting. it's cold oct-april rather than the sept-march like it used to be. but it's still getting cold, colder in fact.

maybe we'll get to the point that the equator is frozen while the poles are water parks..... if that happens i'll eat my words and pack up and move to canada.... i don't like the cold, i was looking forward to global warming.

oh oh another theory is that we are causing it but not in the way scientists think. ppl as a whole keep sinning more and more. we all know that sinners are destined to burn right......

fyi 2/3 of this post is compleate nonsence... just in case anyone missed it. ;)

Guest Alana

Has anyone read Brigham Young on the Environment? I don't have it handy, and haven't read it in a while, but it's great. It pertains just as much to us today and the state of our environmental affairs as it did when it was first written. The idea that the earth responds to the righteousness of it's inhabitants really rocked my world the first time I heard it.

I'd also like to point out an interesting difference of opinions I've noticed when it comes to man made global warming. To many, it's fact, and so obvious. Yet others couldn't disagree more. You can find very established and respected scientists on both side of this fence.

Let's see. I drove to work (40kms) in my truck to my job witch is helping oil and gas companies destroy Northern Alberta (at least according to National Geographic) :lol:

I'm joking of course. I did drive to work, but it wasn't in my truck. I do however work in the Oil & Gas industry, but our company is one of the greenest around, at least that's what they tell us.

BTW ~ It's supposed to snow here and be cold for the rest of the week, so they should stop calling it Global Warming and refer to it as Climate Change, as that's what it really is.

I'd also like to point out an interesting difference of opinions I've noticed when it comes to man made global warming. To many, it's fact, and so obvious. Yet others couldn't disagree more. You can find very established and respected scientists on both side of this fence.

In cases like these, where a political figure is pushing the envelope, I always "follow the money trail" to see if such a reputable scientist has reason to put his hat on a certain side of an impossibly difficult to prove/disprove observation to gain something out of the bargain - a lobby, research funding, government subsidy, what-have-you.

After all this weather tracking technology and data gathering, you would think they can tell me if my son's bday party in my particular backyard is going to be rained out this Saturday at 2PM, the way they are so vehement they can point to - without a shadow of a doubt - the cause of climate change. I mean, "with possible thunderstorms in Northeast Florida" issued on Saturday morning, is not quite good enough when you can claim to stop global warming by dumping all the SUVs.

we need to do something....according to Al Gore....we only have 6yrs and 9 months left before we all burn up....:)

Side note here. Al Gore's supposed groundbreaking documentary was released in 2006. In 2007, he won the Nobel Peace Prize. Do you know who he beat out for that honor that year? Irena Sendler, a nurse who helped rescue over 2,500 children from the Warsaw Ghetto in Poland during WWII. Makes me sick. Hallmark just aired a Hall of Fame movie about her on Sunday night on CBS.

I think for Earth Day I'm going to go for a long drive, maybe down to the beach or through the forest... ;)

In your car? Is it electric? If it burns fossil fuel, you are probably better off staying at home because, you are polluting the air for no other reason but to satisfy your inner child. :D

You can't use a horse and buggy either because those horses, man, their farts give such a huge carbon footprint. :D

So, for earth day, I'm going to... avoid eating beans.

I don't think church does take the back seat, Global Warming is unimportant as we should be learning to live to our needs, (Law of consecration), creation gives us stewardship over the Earth and we will be held accountable for that. Global Warming is however a misnomer its a general term used for freak weather including colder than usual

Personally I won't be doing anything for Earth Day - its only one day, my goal this year is to reduce the amount of waste we create as a family, but I do cloth nappies, don't drive, make my own cleaners am about to do a new vegatable garden, buy mostly secondhand furniture and clothes etc.

-Charley

I think the question that should be asked is why do MEMBERS take a back seat on environmental issues? As Elgama said, it's writen plainly in the Scriptures that we are stuards of the Earth, and should be living modest lifestyles. If every member planted a garden, recycled, didn't buy more things than they absolutely needed to meet their needs, we'd make a much better impact on the environment than the Church's official endorsement could ever do.

The Church has been telling us to plant a garden and to not buy stuff we don't need for years.

If prophetic warnings of wars, desolations, and economic catastrophes aren't going to convince the membership to fall into line, I doubt prophetic warnings of global warming will do very much either.