why does the church take a back seat to enviromental issues?

bcguy

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hey everyone,

Did not expect this kind of responce but this is great. I for one believe firmly global warming is a issue.

As a active following member of Dr. David Suzuki, I keep pace with his discussions on global warming and feel what is happening is human caused.

As a child, I can remember as far back as 1969 in a area outside of portland oregon called medsker Oregon a suburb of Portland Oregon. We lived in a very tiny house, about 500 sq feet. Summers were warm but not hot back then. We had some really good winters. The snow would come and we would get between 2 to 2 -1/2 feet of snow during most winter months. It was often very cold then. But you know, times have changed. It does not get as cold anymore and the snow's accumulation is almost a bare minimum most winter months.

When pondering on the thoughts of winters of winter snow accumulations of the 80s,90s,and 2000's I often wondered what the winteres of the 20's 30s and 40s were like.

I talked to some long time old residents here in Vancouver BC about what there winters were like. One old lady in her 80s said she lived on salt sping island. Ss a child, She said the snow would get so high, it would go up to the bellies of the horses. I have not measured the belly of a horse, but that almost sounds to be some where around three feet in hight. It was also a perios of time, when the Frieser river, our main arterial river system that passes though the greater Vancouve region, to freeze over in that time period.

Somone else said that the fields of the frasier river would be flooded before the pre winter days with rain, then completly freeze over during the winter. Alot of kids would go to those fields and icescate. I have lived here in Vancouver since 2002 and have not seen any winters where the snow would get higher then a foot.

Now, we west coast residents and those living inland are problebly on another Pacific decadal oscillation cycle that will possibly bring colder winters for the next few years. How ever, this is only a west coast event. Remember, global warming is a world wide issue. Because you are living in a local town and your winter may be getting colder, does not mean global wamring is not a issue.

We cannot ignore the fact that almost all the worlds Glaciers and ice caps of the arctic and greenland are melting at a rapid pace. The melting Arctic ice caps that currently flow into the Atlantic and Pacific is what keeps the west and east coast including the eastern coast of europes land termpatures moderate during most summer years. That is our air conditioning for both coast lines. Should we loose that ice, expect tempature to really rise to dangerous levels. Droughts, fires and famine could follow.

So my biggest concern is the future crop failures of that of the west coast due to the heating up of the pacific waters and the lost of cold ocean current flows from the arctic. As we speak, this could be happening. Right now California is going though some long drought issues. This has caused a spike in price of vegtibles being imported from California due to the dwindeling supply.

Where does all of this lead us to? prepare for the future. Yes, store not one but as much as three years of food. Build a year round garden. You can have some winter crop items to glow if you own the land to grow your own veggtibles. Being enviromentaly concious and speaking up to your elected members of your city on how thay should change there ways in how not to build rampant and enviormentally damaging development is one way how you can make a positive effect in enviromental preservation.

Present ideas to them that can benifit the enviroment. If you live in in a mostly small undeveloped town, ask them to incorporate bike paths that are only for bikes and not shared by the same system as cars. Alot of people will not bike along cars for the fear, they will get run over.

Seattle has taken great strides to make bike paths only for bike riders. Look up the birk gilman trail Seattle Parks & Recreation: Burke-Gilman Trail . That is a good example. Make sure your civic leaders build these bike paths to reach major shopping chains or groshrie stores.

It may be to late or way to costly to built such a system for cities that are already developed or over developed. If the city is in the process of building a mass transit system on rails, get involed in its development by volinteering.

We have the skytrain here in Vancouver BC that can transport anyone within 30 miles in 35 min and is suspended on concrete pillars. This was built from tax payer dollars as a part of the worlds fair in 1986. This system has payed for its self time and time again and is extreenly popular. The city officials really thought out the system and incorporated the construction of major city structures that can best use the rail system during baseball events, concerts ect. ALOT of people that live in vancouver do not have a car! But we also, have had a huge uptick in development and it is getting out of control.

Lastly, a smart city is a city that is mixed residetial,commerical and industrial. Ask city officials to really consider allowing the population to live in the downtown core if thay work in the downtown core. This is key to helping resolve inner core traffic jams during the heaviest of commuter times.

Thanks for keeping this thread going hope it will stay alive :)

If everyone would like to fix "Global Warming" remember were are on an religious forum...How about the world start being more righteous... I know crazy to think that the main way the Lord has punished prideful and wicked nations in the past is by famine, pestilence, drought and other horrible seemingly naturally occurring disasters.

At least they had the foresight to recognize that it was at the hand of God in response to their wickedness, apparently... we're not so bright.^_^

I am interested if the Church takes a strong sustained position against the desire of the Energy Solutions Company (the single greatest polluter in the US) to make Tooele County the nuclear dumping ground for the world, just 90 miles upwind from the Salt Lake City Temple.

Hey, they could always wax poetic in their Conference talks, and say there is a "warm glow to Salt Lake City".

Or in song:

"I left my dermis in West Valley City"

:)

Edited by Moksha
extra one-liner